Sunday, October 22, 2006

So Confused, still

I never know which direction to go.

When I'm cruising the mall, when I come out of a store I can't figured out which direction we're going.

When I look at any bed other than my own, I don't know which side I sleep on.

I ALWAYS park in the same section at the mall, or the grocery store. I don't want to have to wonder if I'm in the right section. I don't want to play the "I forgot where I parked my car" game - and I even have a fairly recognizable car.

I'm constantly confused by direction, and directions, with my knitting. The other day I picked up my sleeve in mid row to carry on. It looked like this when I picked it up. It took me a second to figure out what to do. I even asked Kaity to double check, "Kaity.... when you're just knitting plain stockinette, flat, should your yarn be coming off you left or right needle." She looked at me like I'd grown another head and said, "Mom! - you can't be serious - how LONG have you been knitting!" (She was only that annoyed with me because last week I had to have her explain to me again how to knit ribbing flat, because I'm used to doing it in the round.... purl the knits?? purl the purls?? I swear this should make sense to me by now, but I still get confused.)

Later in the week my sister, who's a new knitter, called and asked me the same question, but she has an excuse - she's brand new at this. Me - I should know better, but I panicked a little and had to check with Kaity after I got off the phone to make sure I gave her the right answer. It's a wonder I can actually make anything. (Note To Sis: You should probably just ask for Kaity when you call with knitting questions - I can't be trusted. You've seen me at the mall.)

Seriously, this confuses me - this sense of direction thing. I have none. My most common knitting mistake is picking up my knitting mid row and knitting the wrong direction. It's possible. I'm not sure how, but it is - I know... I do it quite often. I NEVER put down my knitting in mid-row unless it's an emergency. I'm the queen of "let me just finish this row."

My cable and lace patterns always have my extra "directions" written on them. With arrows.

Wrong side... read chart this way ------->
Right side... read chart this way <-------- I can't tell you how many rows I've frogged because I read the chart backwards. Every new project.... every new chart. I have to stop, figure it out, ask Kaity if I've got it right, and write it on my pattern - like I've never seen a knitting chart before.
This picture - it's taken on my way to church this morning. Thank God for having Christ in my life.... at least with Him, I always know which way I'm going.

16 Comments:

At 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm totally like that, and probably a little worse. I have absolutely no short-term memory, so you can imagine how zany things can be in my own world. and if/when we have kids, my "mommy brain" will be much worse, i'm quite confident of that. =)

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger ~Kristie said...

Is that a Starsky sleeve I see?

I was shaking my head yes while reading your post. Obviously I feel exactly the same way. DH will probably have "just let me finish this row" engraved on my headstone when I pass since I too am afraid to stop mid-row.

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger LC in Sunny So Cal said...

Oh, I'm awesome with directions (ie the mall, etc) but with those durned knitting charts? Nope, they don't make any sense to me. The symbol means one thing on one line, and the opposite on the next? Who the heck thought of this system anyway???

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

Same here... I have ZERO sense of direction. My oldest son has an amazing sense of direction. He's only 14 yet I could never get lost with him... in a building, mall, car or anywhere. He always knows the way (and has had to guide me many times).

 
At 7:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen, Lynda! :) I needed to hear that. I sometimes get bogged down with the negative things in life and that's not God's plan.

 
At 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen on that last sentence baby. That is RIGHT on! As for the rest of your post, I am your twin. As my Texas born mama says, "I can't find my way out of a paper bag". In my new location here, I need a GPS system.

I know I've said before, but I love your blog thank you for your words. And, I sent Katie a congratulations. That is soooo cool!

 
At 8:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! Yeah, I can follow a pattern (sometimes), but I'll never understand why it works. It's kind of like math. I can do it, but Ill never understand why it all works out.

And the sister that had to call last week for a reminder on the basics (that would be me), finished that hat pattern that Kaity gave me. I did NOT enjoy the last bit with the DPNs, but I got through it, barely. Woo hoo!

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

What? You didn't mean to add short row shaping for the elbows? Call it an anatomic design feature!

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger Marsha said...

Ditto here! I have to use my clicker on my keys to find MY car in the parking lot!!
I'm doing Lizard Ridge using both ends of the skein. Believe me, when I get to the end of the row that has yarn attached at both ends I start to panic!!
Congrats to Katie for her VERY EXCITING NEWS!!
Thank goodness, God keeps finding me when I am lost!!

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger AsKatKnits said...

Lynda, what a great post - somedays I think I should put a "R" and "L" on each respective hand so I know which is which! But, I with you, am so thankful that God always knows where I am going and that he is always with me as I am going there. It is a good reminder to slow down and do a direction check each day before I head out on my days journey. Thank you for the gentle reminder. Have a blessed Monday!

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger april @ faraboverubies said...

I get confused too. But I think it is safe to say in MOST cases your working yarn should always be on your right.
Congrats on your daughter's news!

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Aaaahhh, my sense of direction is exceptional. Okay... you don't want to hear that, right? I can sense immediately when I've missed my turn, even if it the 1st time I've ever been there ... a 7th sense kind of thing I guess.

But as for parking at the mall or even writen directions for knitting ... I use a "crutch". It's become a habit. "First row to right of front door to Filene's" or where-ever half way down the parking lot. ALWAYS, before I leave sight of my car.

The working yarn is ALWAYS on your right needle when you put it down. I mark an "arrow" on the last line I was working on in the directions ... Yup, visual crutches .
Or better yet ... ask Kaity!

 
At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so understand the direction thing and, yes, thankfully Christ keeps me heading in the right direction. I just found out about Kaity and can hardly stand the excitement! I know you are so proud!

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Oh my gosh!! I am so like that too - about not being able to put my knitting down mid row! I have picked it up before and knit in the wrong direction!! It is rare that I will put it down in the middle of a row - even in with knitting socks on dpns I will have to wait until I finish that round before I put it down.

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Mia said...

Amen! and wow... you sound just like me! The mister was actually thinking about getting me vanity license plates for my car that say "wrongway"... I swear, I have NO sense of direction.. sorry for your luck, but glad it's not just me *grin*

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger Jen said...

eh... don't worry about it. You weren't meant to do everything alone, right?

And thanks for the really nice comment. I didn't think that anybody else would care about seeing those pictures, so I felt honored that you were so moved by them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home