Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Stash Stress

I've got a serious case of stash stress. I KNEW if I stashed it would stress me out - but I just didn't think it would happen in this way!

Maybe it's project stress. See, I have the yarn for my four next projects, not counting the two on the needles now (....hmmm, did I forget to tell you I casted on for Sizzle? - you know, when I need a break from the Isle of Fair every once in awhile).

Never mind.... that's beside the point. The problem is, I'm totally a project knitter, not a process knitter. Otherwise, I'd just cast on for all of them and knit away, like some people I know (not naming names, you know who you are.... not that that's a bad thing...). But I want to wear all these things NOW. I want to knit them, I want them done, and I want to wear them. I do not have enough time to knit, and cannot knit fast enough to make myself happy in this regard.

Let's just check out the stash and projected projects: That beautiful blue variegated in the middle left stack o' cakes..... that's gonna be Ene, from Scarf Style. She's gonna be gorgeous. And, I'm totally a shawl convert now - you should have seen me stylishly flitting around Ikea yesterday with Icarus draped just so. Oh - I'm so stunning in my own mind.

Anyway.... that pretty pile of teal Cascade....I CAN'T WAIT to knit that! Seriously the prettiest yarn in the world. It's supposed to be my next project - a cabled zip-up sweater, but, that new brown Cascade Eco Wool is really speaking to me, for Starsky. It's moving up quickly on the project list. I'm pretty sure it's kicking it's cousin Cascade's butt in that regard.

The pretty ice blue.... that's being used for Sizzle.... love it. Working on it. MUST finish it before I cast on for Starsky.

The red - I just like to look at it. It's for socks. I am TOTALLY NOT in a sock mood lately. Who knows when I'll knit that.

The little fuzzy guy in the top left? - he's gonna be a Branching Out scarf for me.

I can't take it. I want them all now. But, I'm still totally in love with the Fair Isle... look at in the sun - shining like stained glass. I want to wear it NOW.

Now, NOW.... I am NOT A patient knitter. I knew I'd be sorry. I knew I just didn't have it in me to be a stasher. But, I also know that there's no going back now. My name is Lynda, and I stash yarn.

21 Comments:

At 9:55 AM, Blogger Charity said...

Beautiful photo of the Fair Isle in the window - just lovely.

I'm a stasher, and if you can take the pressure, you'll start to see the beauty of the stash. It's a little like having your very own yarn store! :0)

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger jillian said...

I'm such a project knitter too, and just keep stashing. Sometimes I feel pressure from it all being there. Eventually I came to realize, it will be there when I need it and I will eventually get to it. It's less stressful. I try just to focus n enjoying what I have on the needles, although I always want to get DONE!

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger HibiscuitsGirl said...

Haha! So funny. Now you're just as sick as the rest of us. Mwahahaha!

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Kate A. said...

Tee hee...I'm feeling exactly the same way about my fair isle...I want to wear it NOW! Thanks for the stained-glass photo of it - it's lovely!! I'm a project knitter, too, I think, but like your other commenters, also a stasher (I wouldn't even count what you show here as "stash" - what you've got is merely "plans" =] ). I like to think of it my Emergency Safety Stash. I have lots of irrational fears about running out of yarn, and fondling my stash is the only therapy!

 
At 11:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're a stasher now!! =D I think I am too - not the kind where you just buy yarn just because, but buying yarn for the sake of future projects. And there's a million and one future projects waiting in the queue. =)
P.S. How's your Sizzle? I finished mine a couple weeks back but it didn't fit very well, so I frogged the entire thing yesterday.

 
At 12:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a dilemna isn't it. Oh well, I figure at least yarn doesn't spoil, it'll be there when I'm ready to use it.

 
At 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. There's just not enough time for everything I want to knit. All of your yarn is beautiful, by the way!

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

Yay! Welcome to my world. I am also a project knitter so I suffer serious moments of stash stress. Be glad that you can still flash your stash in a single shot and list your intentions. I'll try to post a glimpse of my stash insanity later on my blog.

I like what Jillian said. I have to always remember to enjoy what's at end (instead of just working to finish it NOW).

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Noey D. said...

My stash stresses me out too, so I constantly organize and re-organize and that makes me feel better.

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Jillio said...

it's controllable now. once you start putting it in empty suitcases and in extra large ziploc bags, then you'll know you have a problem. out of sight, out of mind...until you "find" it again. hehe.

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger amylovie said...

I feel you pain. I am a project knitter as well. If I could, I would knit 24 hours a day to finish a sweater.

Wowsa! That Fair Isle is going to be out-of-this-world!!

Amy

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Marsha said...

I agree with the "stash hiders" - put in a safe container and stick it under your bed or in a closet - out of mind. Hide all the other projects too, if you can - and focus on one project at a time. Inhale -- exhale, one more time, inhale -- exhale!! Now, doesn't that feel better?!!

 
At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that fair ilse photo looks like stained glass - gorgeousness!

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Hi Lynda! (Said like we're at a yarn stash 12 step meeting) I'm feeling the stress too, but you know I've decided that just goes with the knitting/product driven impulse. *sigh*

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger Shar said...

Welcome to world of stashing. I understand what you mean, I have about 10 projects ready to go. I just can't knit fast enough.

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger Donna Boucher said...

That is just a gorgeous picture!

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger Coleen said...

At least you have good taste in what you stash! I love that turquoise Cascade!

 
At 7:07 AM, Blogger SAM said...

In the beginning I was a process knitter, but I have become a project knitter and crocheter. My deal is I buy yarn, begin a project and then my short attention span kicks in and I find something new I "have" to make and the cycle begins again. I find myself project stressed all the time. BTW - I just went to Knit & Tonic - I love Sizzle, but I REALLY love Something Red. Her stuff is great!

 
At 7:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*L* I'm a stasher, and a project knitter too! hehehe I think you caught the bug girl ; )

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

The worst was when one day I woke up wanting to wear a particular sweater . . . which I hadn't knit yet! (Only I'd forgotten that I hadn't knit it yet . . .)

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Welcome, Lynda! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home