Friday, September 22, 2006

Deferring to Common Sense

Our church used to hold a carnival on the night of Halloween, where you could dress up, play old fashioned church carnival games, like the cake walk, etc, and all the various groups within the church would man the game booths. I was always at the "fishing booth" - you remember, where you toss your clothes pin attached to a fishing pole through the curtain, and someone on the other side would clip on some "Smarties" or "Tootsie Rolls" and then you'd reel in your prize.

They encouraged the adults to dress up. One particular year, about 7 or 8 years ago, I was having trouble coming up with something so I decided to go as an 80's rocker chick - you know, ala Pat Benetar or the Wilson sisters from "Heart." I made my hair really big, put on a head band, little pink mesh gloves left over from a bridesmaid outfit from years ago, a short-ish skirt with a big belted top, leg warmers and little ankle boots.

I know - what was I thinking. I sure wasn't listening to that little voice of common sense.

I live in a small town, and people STILL talk how I turned up at the church carnival as a hooker. (and, no, I don't have a picture)

So now that I have obviously become a stasher.... I hate sticking all my lovelies in big Ziplocs and putting them in the cupboard. I want them out where I can ogle them, and pet them from time to time. But common sense is telling me they need to stay safe from yarn-munching critters - they need to be safe in their baggies.

So.... here's a little of the stash I've put at my desk on the shelf, where I can look at it all day long. This is just the stuff I have immediate plans for.... like that crock full of that gorgeous teal Cascade 220 (a cabled zip-up sweater)...

But I really want to go all "rocker chick", throw caution to the wind and fill the rest of the shelf with sock yarn. Good idea? Bad idea? All the yarn in the yarn stores is out in the open... why can't mine be?

16 Comments:

At 9:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I can weigh in on the yarn stash inquiry, but I have to say, Lynda, the thought of the hooker at church is giving me a good laugh! That Cascade 220 is really pretty.

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Shar said...

I want my stash, at least some of it, in the open as well, but I'm afraid of the moths. So, for now, mine is in ziplock baggies and tubs for safe keeping.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger jillian said...

Maybe put sachet's of lavander amongst the open stash to deter mothies?

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Ann-Marie MacKay said...

tee hee
your post made me laugh..i remember dressing as a punk when i was about 12 (short skirt, ripped nylons, punky pink sprayed hair)
i think people thought i was a teen-hooker too--funny since my dad was the worhip leader of our church at the time.

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger LC in Sunny So Cal said...

Textiles get mildew and icky stuff in airtight plastic containers! Get some cedar balls or similar items and they'll be fine in the open. Besides, you're gonna knit it all up really FAST, RIGHT???

Your costume beats mine of a few years ago...bathrobe, blue eyeshadow, red lipstick and a black afro wig. Kids either thought I was Howard Stern in drag or didn't know WHAT to make of it!

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Line the walls with Cedar! I want to do that. In the summer it goes into a cedar chest. I can leave it out in the winter ... to pet & plan on what to knit next. But a Cedar Lined Room, filled with YARN, oooooooooooo nice!

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

Oh... definitely fill it with sock yarn! All those colors... yum!

I started to collect (stash) yarn about a year ago. It started with a short triple drawer bin from Target that I placed in a corner at the top of our stairs. Then I added a double drawer bin on top... Now I have 3 more large single bins and one small one on top of those. It literally reaches the ceiling. The best part was when I showed my husband a picture on the internet of somebody else's stash (ya know... kinda as a "Look, it could be worse" thing), he looked at me and said, "What, you don't have a lot of yarn do you?" He was totally oblivious to the tower o' yarn that he passed every night when he went upstairs!

Anyway, my favorite drawer is my sock yarn drawer. I often open it just to look at all the colors. Now I just wish I could get around to knitting more socks.

PS. So you don't recommend the hooker at the church festival thing, huh? I'll keep that in mind.

 
At 1:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always figured that the yarn store wool was being sold too quickly to fall prey to critters. I put mine in plastic containes with lids, but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't have.

I have to say that I got a real kick out of the "hooker at church" story! Last year I dressed up as a rock star for a Halloween party. I wore my black suede pants, boots, had a fake tattoo, orange streaks in my hair, etc. I even strapped on my guitar. People didn't know what I was. When I saw the pictures, I decided that I looked more like an overweight, aging groupie. Not a good look....

 
At 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOu know I don't know if it's good or bad, I find that sometimes my yarn stored in totes, smells! But I like to keep it there anyway, and tend to throw in a smelly soap in another container so that it smells better and not like plastic totes.

But I think keeping some out for show is a good idea. And encouragement for the next project.

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

ROFL!! They thought you were a hooker???!!! I laughed at that...still am...hehehe!

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I have a hilarious mental image of you as a rocker chick/hooker! LOL!

I'd love to have my stash in the open, but I'm filled with fear.

 
At 7:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oohhh!! I'm laughing so hard it HURTS!! They thought you where a hooker???!!?? *L* ow!
If your yarn is out in the open, near light and moved often the buggies won't be interested. They like dark, cool places where they won't be disturbed.

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger opportunityknits said...

You must be such fun to be with! As for the stash, I'm trying not to leave my yarn or fabric out in the open, it collects dust.

 
At 12:24 AM, Blogger ~Kristie said...

Due to the poor insulation of my old 1950's house, all my yarn (okay, okay, the FEW skeins of yarn I have) must be stored in containers to keep the dust off of it. You could always buy a bankers bookcase for your yarn storage. It may be behind glass, but you could see it better!

So if last year you were a hooker, what's this year? Vegas stripper?

 
At 10:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have my sock yarn stash in baskets all over the house...with lavender sachets and I'm not *too* afraid of moths ;o) Dobby does get a kick out of saying, "is that a moth?" from time to time just to see me panic...

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Theresa said...

I store most of my yarn in the open, and so far so good. Sunlight is a good moth deterrent, as is movement (they don't like to be disturbed), so if you keep it in the light and play with it often, you should be ok.

Now I'm drooling about the idea of teal Cascade 220 in cables. I made my Knitting Olympics sweater out of it and it shows the cables so beautifully!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home