Wednesday, September 20, 2006

You KNEW This Was Going To Happen


.... and it can't be good for my newly acquired stashing issues.

I can hear you out there - You can all just stop laughing and saying "I told you so."

Yep - it's a spinning wheel... and yes, it's now sitting in my family room.

No - we did not buy one, yet.

See, I have this daughter who everyone just seems to fall in love with - and our new friend, Deb, at the new roving/yarn store in town is particularly taken with her. She already gave her free spindle lessons, and a freebie spindle, and always seems to send us home with at least a little free fluff every time we go in.

She has been trying to get Kaity to try a spinning wheel from the first time we met her. Last week, with a little help from mom (she's who got Mom going on the weaving.... what an enabler!!!) - Deb decides that Kaity needs a wheel - so badly that she's just gonna send us home with one of her very own personal wheels!

So yesterday I took Kaity into the shop, where Deb spent about an hour-and-a-half getting her all acquainted with her new Ashford loaner, and gave her a big bag of practice fluff - all for free. This woman is a gem!

So, Kaity's one happy camper - knee deep in fluff, and already spinning up some very nice stuff! (go check out her blog to see her first efforts). Of course, I bought 8 oz of merino/silk for her to spin up for me.... and I was feeling up some real purty cashmere roving while Kaity was taking her lesson.

Believe what EVERYONE says.... that spinning, it'll suck you right in. Don't even touch a spindle, much less a wheel, unless you're willing to fall under it's spell. Kaity tried to get me to sit down and try it last night.... but so far, I have resisted.... She even had Lily giving it a try.

I and SO doomed. Ya'll wanna take bets on how long I can hold out?

18 Comments:

At 2:34 PM, Blogger amylovie said...

I'm guessing 48 hours.

That is what I call some serious customer service.

Amy

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Jillio said...

i concur with Amy - what great customer service!!! i would call Deb a pusher, but it's not like Kaity needs much encouragement. :)

there isn't a place like that here.

as for you? well...hard to say. you've held off this long and you only now started stashing. i'd say maybe two weeks after the wheel gets into your house? there's no accounting for if you happen to get some luscious roving (like the cashmere), though. that would totally change the odds. :)

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger LC in Sunny So Cal said...

You remember what happened to Sleeping Beauty, RIGHT? Pricked by a spindle, she was.

I'm going to do the weaving thing when it gets closer to Alissa's Bat Mitzvah, because I want to weave her prayer shawl. I do NOT intend to spin the thread to weave, however!!

You do dabble in the "dark" side, don't you!?

 
At 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't enjoy the whole spinning thing...too perfectionistic or something. I have a spindle, maybe I'll try again someday when I have hours to spend cursing sheep for their evil wool...

:O)

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger Laura said...

wow, that was really nice of her! i think amylovie is being generous in guessing 48 hours. i say, you've already given it a try. :) i certainly wouldn't be able to resist.

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger Pixiepurls said...

hehe, wecome to the club.. check out the spinning forum!

http://talk.pixiepurls.com

I simply love spinning.

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Congratulations on your first wheel... in advance. LOL!

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Knit! Knit like the wind! Because that spinning stuff is going to grab a'hold of you and won't let go for quite a while! heh Hurry and finish that fair isle cardigan! :)

 
At 8:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a joy to be able to share your yarn passion with your daughter.
I bet you'll cave in soon!

 
At 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll love it! So therapeutic - it's a great addition to knitting. Congrats in advance!

 
At 6:48 AM, Blogger JustApril said...

I say 2 weeks, too b/c it'll probably be at least that long 'till yo pry Kaity off of it!

 
At 7:07 AM, Blogger Cheri said...

I've spun once (it's fun). I've resisted so far (but, of course, my daughter is too young to ask for such things, at the yarn shop she usually just wants pink yarn). But when I took my mom to a local yarn shop they had the most wonderful silk roving, I wanted to just roll around on the floor naked with this roving (not while in the store of course)...oh my...that roving alone made me wish for a wheel!! ;)

 
At 9:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

...and another has been assimilated...muahahahahahaha

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger ~Kristie said...

I'll give you a month (at the most)!

 
At 12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is some amazing customer service!!

soo.. when are you getting the sheep/alpaca/goat for the backyard? ; )

 
At 12:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll give you a week, or less, well have you bought one yet, because boy when it comes to wheels, if you take one home, your pretty much gonna have one.

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger HibiscuitsGirl said...

Mwahahaha! You're gonna be a spinner.....

Good for Kaity! I'm getting a wheel after Christmas and I can't wait! I plan on never sleeping again, though, so I can fit in all my hobbies.

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Great contest opportunity - set up a gmail address and have people send in their guesses. When you finally cave, you check the account and award a prize to the closet guess! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home