Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Ravens and Bookmarks

I hate losing things. It's especially frustrating when I've misplaced something myself. My brain isn't as young as it used to be, and I guess I just can't keep up with myself.

Sometimes someone, or worse, "nobody" loses something for me. Oy people - don't be touching my stuff! - and if you borrow it, put it back! There's a universal Mother's Mantra if there ever was one.

When I was a kid, if something went missing, especially if it was small and/or shiny, Junior probably stole it.... and you'd never see it again.

Junior was our "pet" raven. Yep. Dad came home one weekend from a hunting trip with a "surprise" for us kids. We were so excited. What could it be? Well, we sure weren't thinking "raven."

Now, Mom will probably be mad and disappointed when she reads this, because she liked Junior. But, me.... not so much.

Junior was a pain in the butt. Of course that was just my view - because that bird had it out for me. It's like they say - animals can sense fear.... well, I was afraid of that bird, and he knew it. He'd peck my toes, scare my friends, and steal my hopscotch markers. You could NOT play hopscotch around that bird.

He also stole a lot of my brothers Hot Wheel cars. We found a whole bunch of Junior's stash years later, hidden away under the back shop.

He loved my Mom and Dad. When Dad would get home Junior would jump up on his shoulder and rifle through the papers in his shirt pocket and eat the erasers off his pencils. He would sit on my Mom's shoulder and make cooing sounds in her ears. He would jump on my shoulder and pull my hair.

I was not a big fan of the bird... and, it didn't help that it was my brother's and my job to scrub the bird poop off the patio every Saturday. That was especially fun when Junior had found purple berries to eat or, even better, crayons.

Nope, not a fan of the bird. He was cool, I mean, not everyone has a raven for a pet..., and he never learned to make bird sounds, but barked like our dog, but the bird and I were not close. And.... he stole stuff. You didn't leave stuff lying around outside if you ever wanted to see it again.

So, I don't like to waste time looking for stuff. It's one of my major pet peeves. Looking for something that isn't where it's supposed to be. "Bookmarks" save me endless frustration in this regard. I have a bookmark for blogs, a bookmark for on-line knitting sources, and a bookmark for future possible projects.

I was browsing through my "To Knit" bookmarks, where I stick everything that catches my eye while I'm out in knitting blogland.... the "maybe knits," the "think abouts," stuff I find and might want to knit someday, when I came across Prosperous Plum. When I first came across this pattern I wasn't too taken with it, but later saw it here... and loved Heather's version.

I wasn't sure what I wanted to work on next, but this is the perfect project. I have the yarn, and I think it's gonna be a relatively quick knit, it looks like something I'd actually get a lot of wear out of, and I'm not in the mood to work on socks right now... So Prosperous Plum it is.

Yes, I know I was participating in UFO August and shouldn't be casting on for anything new but, actually, this is the yarn from one of my UFO's, Spring Fling, which just wasn't doing it for me.... so, I'm just kind of trading it in on a new model. That's not really cheating, right?

18 Comments:

At 3:56 PM, Blogger KnitPastis said...

I couldn't get enough of the story about your pet Raven. You had me laughing so hard especially the crayon and berries part. I was just sitting here thinking, now this would be a funny book that I'd like to read. Loved the story!

 
At 5:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember the bicycle seats?? We NEVER had nice seats on our bikes because he liked to pick out the stuffing. Argh.... Yeah, he always scared me too.

 
At 5:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. -- I like that tank. It will look great on you. What color are you using?

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Lynda said...

Sis - I forgot about the bicycle seats! errrr, it's all coming back to me now...

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger Marsha said...

Aha!! I suspected the Spring Fling would fall prey to Prosperous Plum!! I don't blame you though - if one design isn't working for you - let'er riiiip! Maybe someday you will try it again, cause you know it would look good OVER the PP tank!!!

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger Cheri said...

Once upon a midnight dreary.....quoth the raven ever more. Never thought of a raven as a pet....twas a scary Edgar Allen Poe poem I could quote quite a bit of at one time.

That tank is gorgeous and I love the color you're doing it in.

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

Great story, great top! I love knitting with Cotton Fleece (knitting Rusted Root with it right now). I think Prosperous Plum just made it onto my list as well! I love the cables!

 
At 4:42 AM, Blogger Sonya said...

I don't think there's anything more frustrating than looking for stuff. Especially if you don't find it. I love the Prosperous Plum pattern! Great color you picked too!

 
At 5:57 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Nope, it's not cheating at all. Or if it is, just wait two more days - on Friday it will already be September!! LOL I can't believe you had a pet raven - wow, I've never know anyone who had a pet raven before. But yeah, with all the shiney stuff stealing, I don't think he'd be my favorite pet either (not to mention the poop cleaning - yuck)

 
At 6:07 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

A pet Raven? That's cool, althought the poop part is a bit icky.

 
At 6:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's fun to learn something new about a person - not many people have ravens as pets! You are making great progress on PP!

 
At 7:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVE that post! A pet Raven?! In my world that would have been a dream. Growing up on a working ranch, every animal was fair game. A raven would have made it complete! Thanks for letting me live through you....

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger lesley said...

i like that tank much better in green too. it just does more for the pattern. hmm. maybe i hve to make this too :)

ps. i had a boyfriend in hs that had a raccoon. i completely understand your issues with the raven.

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger Charity said...

Ah, heck, August's practically over, anyway! :0)

LOVE the story about Raven!

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger amylovie said...

Definitely a mother's manta. Here's another one: If you only did what your mother said, you would not get in trouble. My mother loved that one so much, she just hollared out Rule #1, and we knew what she was talking about.

Amy

 
At 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay so that is the coolest story ever. I would have loved a pet Raven, they are so, so intelligent.

 
At 2:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you were reading my blog as I was reading yours. That's so cool.
My bookmark list of patterns I would love to knit numbers in the 30's somewhere. Wishful thinking I know. I'm always bookmarking knitting patterns and sites too.
Thanks for your vote of confidence!

 
At 5:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds good to me! Especially since I ended up casting on for a pair of socks at the very last minute of UFO August ;-) Your tank is going to be beautiful!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home