Wednesday, August 02, 2006

UFO's and Oceans

UFO August. When I saw this on Jeanie's blog I figured it was a good idea. And, to tell the truth - easy do for me. I was planning on getting my First Class Shawl alpaca shawl out again.... and I have a couple of pairs of socks - ok, 3 on the needles, to be exact - that have been staring at me from my desk.

So - I'm only working on these for the month of August - and, after that all bets are off. All the UFO's are listed on my side bar - but I'm not counting the Flower Basket Shawl - because I'm not sure it's a keeper yet.


So, since I don't have much progress to report on my First Class Shawl - I'll leave you with some pretty Pacific Ocean pictures. The hubby took me out to dinner last night. We went to a fabulous seafood place on the beach - and this was our view. After dinner we took a stroll on the pier. It was a pretty day, and you could almost see the islands (just a bit too overcast).


We both commented on how long it has been since we've been to the beach. Truth be told - neither of us are "beach people." I'm not a big fan on lying on the beach or swimming in the ocean - and I am definitely not a boat person... but whether or not we drive the half hour and actually go to the beach, you can always see it - and that is somehow comforting. I've grown up here - where you can always see the ocean, the islands, the sands, the waves, and the twinkling oil rigs at night. I realized last night how much I take that for granted.

Every morning I wake up, and the first thing I say to myself is, "This is the day the Lord hath made.... I will rejoice and be glad in it." (Psalm 118:24)

I need to remember not to take anything for granted. It's all a gift.

12 Comments:

At 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, but did you wear the new shawl when you went out to dinner???

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger Marsha said...

The only California beach I remember actually swimming in is Carpenteria because it is so clear. Hawaii, now that is some ocean to swim in and a beach to lie on even if you're not a beach person - which I'm more that than the mountains.
I'm not listing my UFOs - I still haven't figured out how to put buttons and stuff on the sidebar - kinda takes the fun out plus haven't had time to take photos of the FOs either.
Yeah, didja wear the shawl???

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger opportunityknits said...

Thanks for the heartwarming reminder reminder of rejoicing every day. Look forward to your attack on the ufos.
P.S. can you believe it? - the password for my comment today is "jholy"

 
At 5:37 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I hear you about the ocean thing - I live on the coast too. You can walk to the water from my house. I think I've always taken it for granted . . . I just assume everyone lives near a beach. I would really miss it if I moved away though. Thanks for reminding me to relish what I have. :)

 
At 6:55 AM, Blogger Sonya said...

Such lovely views! It is easy to take the landscape that you see everyday for granted. Can't wait to see the UFOs turn into FOs!

 
At 7:05 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

So pretty! It looks a little like the pier in Newport Beach.

 
At 7:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you. Your last sentence was very touching. I needed to hear that today.

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Those are lovely pictures - thanks for sharing. :)

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Charity said...

I love the idea of UFO August! It's nice to get these things out of the way before winter knitting sets in :0) Glad to hear you had a nice time out with hubby. What a blessing.

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger SAM said...

Separated at birth we must have been. I feel exactly the same way about knitting bags. Whereas Amy uses one bag, I am constantly digging through my bags to find something. Kaity did a GREAT job. Oh, and we are EXACTLY the same about the beach as well. How I wished I lived somewhere where I could see, smell and hear the ocean without fear of being wiped off the face of the earth by a hurricane. You made me homesick.

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Leslie said...

I would love to live close to the beach. Then again I would love to live in the mountains too. Evening walks in both would be heavenly.

 
At 6:14 AM, Blogger Theresa said...

Reasons I moved from one coast to the other (and skipped the Army gigs in the middle). I'm finding California just so lovely!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home