Saturday, July 15, 2006

No Knitting today - just Movie Stars and Pirates

This Friday we went down to Hollywood to the El Capitan to see Pirates of the Caribbean - Dead Man's Chest.

Never mind Kaity had already seen it - but we bought these tickets quite a while ago - and since Disney now owns the El Capitan, it's quite an event - with performers, and real props and costumes from the movie on display. FUN! Besides, neither Kaity or I can get too much of our favorite pirate, Johnny Depp.

However, The El Capitan is in downtown Hollywood. If you're not from California - and if you've never been there - Hollywood is not especially somewhere you want to go - unless you have a really good reason. It's very cool to see Grauman's Chinese Theater and all (which is right across the street from the El Capitan) and check out all the the cool famous hand and foot prints (that's me above, with Clark Gable) - and see all the stars on the Walk of Fame - but, as Lilly said, "This??? is Hollywood?" Let's just say - when you see it on TV for awards shows, or when someone is "getting their star" - they probably clean that block up a bit and bring lots of security. It's a little unnerving, and you definitely all stick together.

But, we had a great time. The show was great- they really do a good job. There's a very old and famous, HUGE pipe organ on stage, which sinks down before the movie, with a guy in costume playing all the music from the movie before the show starts, then there's even a quick stage show before the movie. Just before the show they gave away two tickets to Disneyland and, wouldn't you know, my niece won them! Sweet!

After the show we stuck together and made it back to our car - then went to The Cheesecake Factory and had lunch - made a day of it. Girls' Day Out - gotta love those.

Blogger's being a poop about uploading pictures today - so click on the links to see some more pics of us on the Walk Of Fame, the girls in front on Grauman's Chinese Theater, and the three of us in front of the El Capitan.

Well - off to work a bit on the never-ending Icarus Shawl. Good news though - I'm onto Chart 3!! Some day..... some day it'll be finished.

18 Comments:

At 7:59 PM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Well, so long as you had a good time that is what counts - even if the area is nothing to sneeze at...

Cheesecake factory....mmmmm, cheesecake....(done in a Homer Simpson sounding type voice)

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger Marion said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:18 PM, Blogger Marion said...

Sounds like lots of fun. I totally agree with you about Hollywood, though. I've been there twice, maybe three times, and I've always thought "This is what everyone gets so hyped up about? It's gross!"

 
At 4:23 AM, Blogger Sonya said...

Sounds like you guys had fun! We went to see Pirates Friday night at a decidedly un-Disney-like theater. Angola is unique among small towns in that the downtown still thrives and there are 2 old theaters on the main square. Kinda nostalgic, but the sound definitely only comes from one direction and the seats haven't been updated in a very long time. Love the Johnny Depp though!

 
At 5:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! That's a lot of extra, fun stuff for a movie. Did you like the movie?

 
At 6:01 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Wow, I had no idea Hollywood was not the best neighborhood. Sounds like it was worth the trip though - it looks like you guys had a great time.

Clark Gable . . . swoon!!!!

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Charity said...

Sounds like a wonderful "girls time out". Glad you had fun together, and are ready to get back to poor old Icarus :0)

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger LC in Sunny So Cal said...

Eck, I hate being down that way too. We did the El Cap for a movie with Sweetpea a couple years ago, and we do plays at the Pantages sometimes, and boy, am I always glad to get out of there!

And try to find a public bathroom. Not.

Rhett?...Rhett Butler?...excellent!

Did your sis and her girls go too, or just the three of ya? How fun!

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger Marsha said...

What FUN!! And Johnny Depp too!! Except if you haven't seen Libertine - don't - WAAAAAY racy. My husband doesn't like to go to the movies (because the theaters aren't equipped with recliners is MY conclusion) so he buys dvds instead. Too bad you can't return them if you don't like them! I can't wait to see Pirates though!

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

It looks more like, "Help, Ive fallen and I can't get up". Looks like a fun day.

 
At 4:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks and sounds like a cool place to see the best movie ever. Did you like it?
I'm glad you showed pictures, because you know that's the only way I'll ever see any part of Hollywood. Kinda looks like Detroit. :)

You girls look so pretty together too.

 
At 3:16 AM, Blogger ~Kristie said...

Pirates movie AND the Cheesecake Factory? .... too fun!

My mom asks me why DH & I don't go to Hollywood, but after my last trip there 5 or so years ago, I just don't see the point. I'd rather go to Downtown Disney.

Did you like the movie?

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger uhoava gnu said...

Hi Lynda!
I think you'll receive a package any day now.. I'm sorry it's SO late, but now I'm just wishing I can't trust the post office here ;) (In the biggest post office of D.F. you can send packages to abroad ONLY in the mornings - when I'm working! So, saturday was the only choise..)

 
At 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lynda, Hollywood is really not a bit glamorous is it? The last time I went with my son on a similar outing as yours. We witnessed a drug bust, a helicopter in pursuit of someone & found a drug addict passed out right next to our car. It was an awakening for my teenage son to see what it is like outside of his little world. Nonetheless, I have not been in the El Capitan theater and I want to go see it. What did you think of Pirates?

 
At 9:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was a fun day, but what about the pictures with Capt. Jack? I'll have to upload Claire's pics today and see if we got a good one.

I'll be sure to tell Mark how nice the "girls' day out" was! :-)

 
At 9:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too fun! Cheerleader Daughter leaves for Florida AGAIN tomorrow (this time with her cousin), but you're making me think that it's time for a mother/daughter day out when she gets home! Sounds like y'all had a great time!

 
At 7:35 AM, Blogger Chris said...

*makes mental note never to visit Hollywood and ruin the image*

Sounds like a fun day!

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger Cheri said...

My son has talked about that Chinese theater. In college I used to drive down to the Forum, or Universal Studios to see concerts. Got lost once, wrong freeway. Headed for downtown Watts. Just after midnight. Got safely turned around and home my 3:30 am....ah, to be young again (NOT!) I've always been amazed at how different Southern California looks in reality as to what is shown on television.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home