Friday, July 07, 2006

Brushes With Fame

Just to perpetuate the myth that everyone in California has met or knows a movie star.... here's my contribution.

Well, my actual contribution is that I think that maybe Peter Frampton came through my line while I was working the counter at McDonalds in my college days. Yeah - I know, hardly bragging material.

However, the hubby and Lilly have fared better. On a couple of occasions, the hubby has worked the Grammy's. Right on stage, well, in the "wings" - with the stars. Now, his job has nothing to do with show business, usually, but on a few occasions they have needed his "expertise" and he has found himself rubbing elbows with the stars. Elton John, Mick Jagger, Phil Collins, Sting, James Taylor.... do you see a pattern here - he only recognizes the "more established" - ok - older ones. Oh wait - he did recognize Madonna, Britney Spears, and Sheryl Crow.


This drove the girls crazy - they can hardly have him get autographs (like he would anyway) from their favorite groups if he can't recognize them. To this day, he'll see someone on TV and say something like "I stood right next to her/him - who is that?" And they say - "Dad!!! That's the Black Eyed Peas! - or, well you get the drift. Me, I'm saying, You stood next to Jimmy Smits??? Andy Garcia??? Hello!

Oh yeah - and he peed in the backstage Men's Room with one of the guys from Blue Man Group - and, no, they're not blue all over.

So yeah - he could care less, hopeless.

But Lilly - yesterday and today Lilly got to be an extra in the Dukes of Hazard 2 movie! Pure luck - they were filming in our little valley and needed extras in band uniforms, so someone called the high school band director - and he picked out a few kids. Lucky Lilly! And, believe me, SHE could care! AND, she actually recognized the actors - and some of them were young and CUTE! She talked to them in line at craft services, getting breakfast and lunch. Now, she "knows" them! She has had a fun two days - her little brush with stardom (she's sure we'll be able to pick her out in the movie - they did some close ups.... we'll see). Not to mention she made $140 a day! Not bad for a high school kid.

They actually film a lot in our town. No kidding, tonight, not a quarter mile from our house, there is a train smashed into a car and turned over on the railroad tracks and they're out there filming away for something or other. We're big with CSI, and West Wing - and even ER has been here.

People around town see "stars" quite often - me, I'm the most unobservant person in the world. I see the sets, the road blocks, the Star Trailers, the base camps - but I never see anyone important. Now, unlike the hubby, I would probably recognize most of them, but I just don't see them. I gotta start paying more attention. I'll keep my eyes peeled and let you know. Maybe it'll be my new hobby as I'm driving through town umpteen times a day - star spotting.

Here's a better hobby - check out how good Kaity is getting with her spinning! She is spinning up this merino wool in a colorway called "Polar Moon." She's even spinning it to my "specifications." I'm thinking I'm gonna use it to make another Branching Out - this time for me. She spun herself up some pretty green stuff and is knitting herself a hat. I'm quite impressed! Check it out on her blog.

When she's really practiced up I've got my eye on some cashmere roving I felt up the other day in our new LYS - mmmmm, soft.

I've picked up her spindle a couple of times when she's not looking - and I have to say.... they do call to you. Stay away if you don't have the time. I don't. I hardly have time to knit. I'll just spin vicariously through Kaity.

....and get my brushes with stardom vicariously through my family.

22 Comments:

At 4:40 AM, Blogger jennifer said...

great post, lynda! although i must say i thought that was a bobbin from a proper spinning wheel in the first picture and that you & kaity had taken the plunge, but it was the drop spindle. looks like she's getting pretty good, save your pennies for a Christmas wheel...

 
At 6:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's funny is that if I was in your town, I'd be trying to spot YOU! Does that make you famous, too? :)

Kaity's spinning is great! I just can't let myself do that.

 
At 6:50 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

Martin Sheen came through my checkout line once and I didn't know who he was. He had something reserved, and when I asked for his name, he said "Sheen. Martin Sheen" in a very irritated voice. Heck, if I was famous I would love it if people didn't recognize me!
(BTW - this was pre West Wing. I would totally recognize him today!)

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

RM used to see a ton of stars when he lived in So Cal as well. We have some up here, but not a ton.

How exciting for Lilly! I bet she has some cute stories.

What a cute spindle Kaity has!

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Charity said...

Wow, lucky Lilly! The spinning is coming along great! I'm taking a drop spindle class in a few weeks, I can hardly wait!

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger LC in Sunny So Cal said...

Ya mean, being in Dodger Stadium with 100,000 other people and seeing the BeeGees on the big stage doesn't count as "up close and personal"?..bummer.

ROFL

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Marsha said...

Wow, Kaity is doing a great job spinning! And the ladybug spindle is cuute! You've got quite the crafty girl there and thrifty too! Loved the way she re-fashioned an old pair of jeans into a cute skirt and took a VERY worn out pair of converse and made some really cute "ballet" slippers from them! I loved how she said she needed a gift for a friend, "so I quickly spun up some of the roving I hand-dyed last week" and made an ipod cozy! Look out world - Kaity is talented!!
Cool, about Lilly's "brush with fame" too! Who knows where that might lead!! I too, have had a few of those that have NOTHING to do with my job, BTW. Maybe I'll post on that someday.

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Lorette said...

Ha! Your Blue Man comment made me laugh. My closest brush with fame was sitting across the aisle from Ringo Starr and his wife on an airplane. They held hands the whole flight.

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger Sonya said...

What a cool experience for Lilly. I've got bupkis for celebrity sightings. Well, except for local newscasters. I guess that's to be expected out here in the hinterlands. Oh! I just thought of one! I went to an Oprah taping and Jane Pauley (as well as Oprah) was there. Well that's something, I guess. Kaity's spinning looks great!

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger Donna Boucher said...

I recognize the famous...but I would never ask for an autograph. I see them on the streets in Chicago (Howard Hessman) and in the airport (Torville and Dean) and at stores (Ernie Banks-Baseball player)

I can only imagine if I lived in New York or LA.!!!

I could be a paparazzi ;o)

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

I've met Lou Diamond Phillips. His band played way up here back in the mid 90's at a club. My friend and I went (this was before I was a Christian, a time when I frequented those kinds of establishments) to hear them. Got his autograph after too.

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger HibiscuitsGirl said...

Grats to Lilly! That must have been such a neat experience.

I saw Andy MacDowell once, in the office of a psychologist. She was clearly having issues right then and there with her significant other, so no autographs.

 
At 4:17 AM, Blogger Leslie said...

Once my husband and I were eating at an outdoor cafe in South Carolina and saw Jerry Sienfeld and his entourage walking down the street. They entered a building next door and a few minutes later the waitress asked us if we would stay at our table after we were though. Jerry Seinfeld wanted our table and did not want anyone to get it before him.

 
At 1:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

great whool!!!!
Did you meet brad pitt? Give him a kiss from me lol
My country is not where famous people go often.... I met Jean Claude Vandamme in my sport club (but how's care? lol)
I should go to california once a day.... !!!!

 
At 6:37 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

How exciting for Lilly! Kaity's spinning is great- I WILL stay away from spindles and roving, that's one thing I don't need to start, too! All that fluff looks hard to hide...

I am with you on totally missing the stars. Here in New Orleans they just do their thing and you realize later that was someone famous. I think it's why they like it here.

 
At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember these types of "sightings" from when I lived in California too! I guess my "biggest" claim to fame is that I went to school with Foster Sylvers (from "The Sylvers" -- "Boogie Fever") when I was in 8th grade. http://www.soulwalking.co.uk/The%20Sylvers.html

Yeah, who wants my autograph???

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

Tell the DD great spinning! Quick question: Still doing the count your socks??? If so, I've completed another pair!!

 
At 12:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How fun for Kaity. I would have loved to been an extra in a movie, not a huge chance of that in rural Iowa (where I grew up). Although friends of mine were friends with the people that had their house and field used for the movie Field of Dreams, and I've been in it (looks nothing like the inside in the movie)

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Oh how cool!! I'm impressed by Peter Frampton . . . and also very impressed that Lilly is in a movie!!! I know how you feel though - one of my best college friends went on to work at Rolling Stone and then at MTV. She met tons of celebrites . . . including Sting and JFK Jr. My claim to fame (aside from all the figure skaters) is David Canary - I worked at a cable company and he came in to do our talk show. We were all awestruck because we used to watch All My Children every day at lunch. Of course, I said the most stupid thing imaginable to him!! :)

 
At 5:34 AM, Blogger Mia said...

Now I KNOW I've gotta move *grin* Make sure and tell us when the movie comes out so we can see your *star*

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger Cheri said...

I met Stephen Bishop (singer, he did the music for the movie "Tootsie" among other things I know you'd recognize). Saw Victor French in the grocery store one day. And in Santa Barbara my sis and I stood in line behind Malcom Mcdowell ("Time after Time", he was married to Mary Stenburgen, who is now married to Ted Danson). He was chatting with a woman about his marriage to Mary Steenburgen, really nothing exciting. Conway Twitty lived down the street from a friend when we were kids. Growing up on the Central Coast I just avoided the areas where movies were being shot!

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Congrats to Lilly - how fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home