Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Does This Make Me A Bad Knitter?

Cool shadow, eh? Doesn't really match any of my WIP's on the side bar does it.... guess I better add another one.

Larry, as much as I love him and the First Class Shawl, is just TOO hot to sit on my lap with the weather we've got going now.

And, I wanted a project other than socks that I could carry around, take on vacation next month, but still could knit without carrying around charts or have to stop in the middle of a conversation to knit. And, I still wanted to make a shawl.

And.... while taking Kaity to her favorite new yarn store to look at the rovings, again, yesterday....I ran into this... (enough justification?) .

Interlacements Rick Rack II, in The Blues colorway... It's really beautiful... pretty turquoise blues and greens, Kaity thinks it looks like a mermaid. It's kind of shiny, and really has a teeny rick-rack texture to it. And, 1440 yards! My shawl is on going to take about 900, so Kaity's already calling dibs on the leftovers.

But.... and this caused me to pause a little, it's rayon. I've always used natural fibers, and really expected to make a shawl out of something like, well you know, alpaca, or at least Merino wool.

But, I chose this rayon, of all things. I mean, we can hardly raise "rayons" on the commune. Am I a bad knitter? Will I be kicked off the commune, or at least be sent to the time-out yurt, or put on stall-mucking duty?

I don't know.... I'm a little conflicted. But, really, it's SOOOOO pretty! And it's going to be wonderfully drapy. It's probably even more practical than another wool shawl in California.

Time will tell. In the meantime - it's on its way to becoming Icarus, from the Summer 2006 issue of IK.

24 Comments:

At 8:55 AM, Blogger LC in Sunny So Cal said...

OK, this weekend, I'm going into the store. It's all your fault. I'll point my finger at you when dh heaves a heavy sigh and wonders if he's going to have to move yet ANOTHER box of yarn upstairs for me!

And I've seen Icarus, and it's beautiful! Rayon is my favorite synthetic...lovely drape and hand to it...COOL!!

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Oh no, it doesn't make you a bad knitter. It make you a GHETTO KNITTER!!! LOL It might be too pretty to be ghetto though. :)

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Sonya said...

The Community will have to make exceptions for those living in climates that make wool an unattractive option in the summer. (I'm trying to picture a Rayon grazing next to the alpacas.) Gorgeous yarn!

 
At 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No worries about rayon - it's made from cellulose. Found this on the web: "Purified cellulose for rayon production usually comes from specially processed wood pulp." So plant a few trees and Larry will like the shade, too. :) It's very pretty, by the way.

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Rayon is wood! :) So you're ok, as long as you study up on rayon production, right?!

It's lovely!

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Knittypants said...

Pretty colors. I can't wait to see it finished, Icarus is such a beautiful shawl and those colors suit it so well.

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Amy from Ezekiel's Garden said...

Oh Lord, incline your merciful ear to our prayers and hold not our sister Lynda's transgression against her...

Okay, not really. I'm very guilty of using synthetic fibers on my pointy sticks, even now that I've seen the natural fiber light. In fact, my Cozy shawl is in a cotton/acrylic blend, instead of the silk called for in the pattern. I, for one, absolve you, especially given the climate where you are.

 
At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful yarn and colorway, reminds me of a tropical island I'm still waiting to visit...someday.

 
At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Icarus myself, I just love how it looks. And it's not a bad knit. NOt too boring, not too taxing.

 
At 2:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That yarn is YUMMY! And I think the shawl I crocheted for Glamaw last month was (at least partially) synthetic. It blocked just fine with the steamer and looks great, so I say go for it!

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger opportunityknits said...

lovely colours on the rayon. Is it difficult to knit with, slippery?

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I'm an equal opportunity knitter, so I think it's all good! It's too pretty to be wrong.

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Jen said...

so wait... is that TWO icari?

 
At 2:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good choise, it will be beautiful!!

 
At 5:43 AM, Blogger Holly said...

Rayon isn't an official synthetic anyway-just a man-made fiber. You're OK. Now if you start bringing home acrylics, I will suitably appalled.

 
At 5:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes, this is really absolutely gorgeous - I think it's not that important what the fiber is made of, if it's natural or not, as long as it feels good to the skin and looks great, no?
And I do feel like you, these days it really is too hot to knit over here, at least outside, I even stopped taking my socks with me onto the balcony as they'd be soaked in sweat in no time. But it's still fine to knit inside the house - it always will be :)

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Mamma said...

Yes, it's the time out yurt for you, but only for being a fiber snob. That rayon looks beautiful. I love Icarus, and it's nice to see someone "test" knitting it for me ;)

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger ~Kristie said...

Since rayon is cellulose & cellulose is what termites eat & since we have an abundance of termites here, you may want to be careful & not leave your shawl outside for any length of time. You may just find the termites gnawing on it!

Actually, I've just recently decided (since I'm poor from home improvement projects), that as long as YOU like the fiber you're knitting with, knit with whatever you want. Who cares what anyone thinks.

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger amylovie said...

If you love the rayon, that is all that matters. I don't buy stuff by looking at the fiber content.

Amy

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Oooh, I'm so glad that you're making Icarus. It's on my very, very long to-knit list.

I think that rayon is actually made from something natural, if that helps. :)

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Duh. Should have read the other comments.

 
At 6:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely yarn! The colors are fantastic : )

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger KnitPastis said...

Icarus is so pretty! Nice subtle colors. I wish I knew how to make even a simple wrap. Maybe this winter.

 
At 10:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's very pretty yarn...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home