Friday, May 26, 2006

"He's Looking for his son.... Fabio"

Seriously....
I have the memory of a goldfish (or whatever kind of cute blue fish Dory was in Finding Nemo).

Come on - this isn't my first time knitting cables. I slogged through Rogue, and conquered some eight+ cable charts. You'd think I'd have cable charts figured out - at least in theory. No, I clearly suffer from short-term memory loss.


So why, when I start my First Class shawl, does it take me 4" and two nights of knitting to figure out that I'm doing it all wrong? I mean, really - it says right on the pattern, read RS rows right to left, WS rows right to left. Me.... I'm just happily knitting away, right to left, right to left, right to left....

See, when I'm starting cables, it takes me a while to "see" the cable pattern develop in my knitting and, well, obviously about 4" and two nights to "see" that it's NOT developing correctly. Oy.

So, these pictures are of the SECOND attempt. I think I've got it figured out now. There are a few mistakes - one of them so GLARING that Kaity can't even believe I'm leaving it in... but, hey- ya know what? - I'm not gonna show ya - and you might not even notice if you weren't one of those kind who pick up someone else's knitting to severely critique every stitch - KAITY..... rude... rude...

All in all - I like it. I like the color. I like the way the cables kind of look like roots, or branches - goes well with the color and yarn. Most of all, I love that little triangle-y edging - very cool.

However, this could take a few lifetimes to knit.... I'm about 9" into it now, and I have to knit two pieces, one 54" and another 36". Yeah.

Come on, going with the Dory theory - how long do fish live, anyway.... not nearly long enough.

Or, in the case of "Elvis" - Kaity's free fish won at the May Festival last weekend - six days.... yes, this morning, "Elvis left the building."

Clearly, I'm gonna run out of time. Just keep knitting, Just keep knitting...

Maybe I'll be Crush instead - sea turtles surely live long enough to get this finished...

Besides, I can't speak whale.

15 Comments:

At 7:50 AM, Blogger KnitPastis said...

Looking good!

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger uhoava gnu said...

looks great! My mother always says that a handicraft has to have something to prove that it's made by hand. So, definitely leave the little mistake there and that will be the point of the work that you can show to people who says you didn't make it yourself! :)

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger jillian said...

Ooh - that gorgeous. I love the yarn and color - the slight fuzziness is a nice counterpoint to the crisp stitchwork. And yeah - the triangle edging is divine.

 
At 9:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would also say that you should leave that little mistake in it, it's proof that you did it by yourself, with your own hands - it can hardly be seen and it's still so gorgeous!

 
At 9:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your shawl looks so luscious! its turning out fantastic : )
Mistakes? I don't see any mistakes!!

 
At 10:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your shawl looks very nice - first class!

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I love cables and yours looks especially lovely.

You so totally rock, Lynda! Give me some fin. :)

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Don't worry - it will all go fine from here. And I don't see an error at all. :) I loved Dory.

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Jen said...

just keep knitting, just keep knitting... that Ellen is so inspiring.

I have to say, I looked at the "glaring" mistake and couldn't actually find it. Must be fine!

Of course, if it really bothered you, you could just drop the column of stitches where the mistake was and correct just those stitches and work your way back up. I'm suggest doing this sooner rather than later because, well, 17" of dropped stitches is a whole lot worse than say 4".

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger Sonya said...

Very pretty cables! What yarn is that? It looks so soft and warm. And I see to glaring mistake.

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Rest in peace, Elvis. We hardly knew ya.

I think it's looking fabulous. You should see all the errors in the Black Lagoon socks I'm knitting! Heh. If anyone's that close to my feet, they're getting kicked, is all I'm saying...

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Knittypants said...

Looks great, very nice warm color, and the cables look great.

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger Jillio said...

i was bitten by a sea turtle once...it thought my long hair (at the time) was sea weed, and it got a bit too close...ouch!

just keep knitting, just keep knitting... :)

have you decided on a pattern for your yarntopia socks? i'm making one up as i go. however, i'm going toe up and haven't even finished all the toe increases yet so i don't really have a pattern just yet...

 
At 6:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh come on! Show us the glaring mistake!!! Teasing ;-)

I like it a lot and knowing you it will be done sooner than you think!

 
At 10:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep knitting, it looks great!

About the fish, I recently went to a pet store and was informed that goldfish need both a filter system and an air bubbler to push O2 into the water. I guess the toxins build up and they die : ( All those goldfish I had as a child that died too....if you want a fish that doesn't needs less care, try a Betta fish. I have had one for up to 6 years : )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home