Monday, May 08, 2006

A Day In The Life of Black Purl

Actually, this is NOT a typical day. On a typical day, this would be the life of Black Purl (or whatever the current WIP happens to be).... sitting in the other room while I work, hoping desperately for maybe an hour of knitting later on that night.

However, Tuesday is my "day off" - and since part of my day off will be spent getting one of the cars in our "fleet" smogged, and running various other errands, I figured I'd bring the sock along in hopes of sneaking in a row or two while I wait. Let's just see how much progress we can make.

However, first my "day off" started with an 8:00 AM conference call for work.... how is this a day off? I don't know either. But I can knit and talk at the same time, and in this case even get paid for it, so it's all good.

Off to town. Here we are at "Smogies." I'm being very careful. The last time I brought a WIP into a car-related business I got grease on my Sitcom Chic while having a flat fixed on the bug. Note to self, do not bring white or cream-colored WIP's near an auto-repair-ish establishment. Gotta love Smogies, though - they smog your car, and process the DMV paperwork for you, so you walk out with your renewed registration and license plate sticker. Score!

Well, wouldn't you know..... not half a mile from the smog place happens to be my favorite not-so-local yarn store..... we must stop by for a visit. Hey Purl, remember this place, when you were nothing but a lovely skein of yarn and a gleam in my eye??? We don't need any yarn today, but I bet they have the new IK! (they didn't, and I actually came away without ANY new yarn!)

Yes Purl, I know we drive right past McDonalds, and YES, I can smell the fries. Thanks for pointing it out.... like I needed that. No, we can't drive thru - I'm getting healthy, remember. We do have to go to Trader Joes, maybe we'll pick up something healthy there. Maybe a lovely piece of fruit. And there's always Lean Cuisine at home. (ok, in reality, this conversation went on for about an hour. I'm proud to say I won in the end.... but it was really touch-and-go for awhile!)

A quick stop at Target to get some sparkly barrettes for the girl's prom this weekend. (note: "quick stop for barrettes" = 45 minutes and $97 at Target. I heart Target.)

aye..... TOTALLY forgot to stop at the furniture store and look at new bedroom furniture. Oh well, next trip.

"How many more places do we have to go????" Oy, Purl, you're as bad as one of the kids. We're done for now, but we have to go home and do some housework and laundry, pay some bills, go to Vons and the bank.... then pick up the girls after school and take Kaity back to town so she can see her college counselor about classes for Fall. We should get lots of knitting done waiting around at the college.

Ok - or NOT. After we drive back to town the line for help with registration is about 45 people long..... we DON'T have time to stand in that line.... back home.

Oh wait.... forgot about the gym...

Then, it's back home, make dinner, get one of the girlies to clean up dinner, check email and Bloglines, and get this posted.... do a little more sprucing up around the house and the laundry put away, and THEN we can sit and knit in front of the TV. I promise.

Oh Purl quit complaining. I want to knit as badly as you do. Remember, it's not all fun and games and eating Bon-Bons for me, either. ----- I need a "day off."

24 Comments:

At 5:05 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Ohhhhh, it's almost worse to have the sock with you when you can't knit. At least it was quite an adventure for Purl. Hopefully you'll get in some good kniting time tonight

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Wow, you need a day off from your DAY OFF!!! You and Purl sure had a busy day. Hurrah for winning out in the McDonalds fight - I'm so very proud. Your little ladybug traveled a lot . . . it's so thrilling to see your progress. :)

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Sounds like you could use a day off to recover/recuperate from your day off...ok I totally typed that and then read Karen's post. Great minds think alike ;o)

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger Sonya said...

Ok, I'm completely exhausted! You need a vacation. Purl looks fabulous though. Glad you were able to avoid McDonald's. I have a deep and abiding love for fast food. *sigh*

 
At 6:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved your post! Did anyone catch you photographing your sock?! Congratulations on your "getting healthy" efforts!

 
At 8:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!! You do need a day off from your "day off"!!! *L* Congrats on saying No to the fries!! : D

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger Coleen said...

ok... gotta ask...
Smogging?

 
At 9:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that I have photographed for the blog in public, I can appreciate what it's like. Did anyone stare at you taking all those photos, especially the one of your shopping cart? And pardon my ignorance, but what does smogging the car entail?

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Lynda said...

Sorry - In California, every other year you have to have your car "smog checked" to make sure it passes emmision standards and isn't over-poluting the air - some places in California have some pretty nasty air...

 
At 1:58 AM, Blogger uhoava gnu said...

What a day..! I wish you'll have better day off's later! And you could have your nice time just together with Purl ;)

 
At 7:09 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

*chuckle* What a busy day.

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger HibiscuitsGirl said...

Oh I need a nap after reading about that day! Give that sock a day off!

 
At 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! I wish I had run into you somwhere around town yesterday -- taking pictures of your sock in front of Trader Joes, etc. You crack me up. You're going to have to start selling socks to pay your gas bill with all that running around! Love you!

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger lesley said...

absolutely adorable! i think i ne

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger lesley said...

fter reading that! hang in there!

 
At 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you serious? We are desperate bloggers indeed...I can't think of anything I've done to get a blog photo that even compares to your day on the town with Purl!

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Hee hee - clever! And I think you got in more knitting than I manage on an average day...

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Jillio said...

what an adventure for your sock! i can't imagine what kinds of trouble it could get into in other hands...hehehe...
however, you have much more will power than me; i would totally have given in to the fries. mmm...fries...gah!

 
At 4:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was your day off?? Whew. Hope you got in a couple rows at night :)

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger KnitPastis said...

Now that is a bunch of cool knitting photos! I felt like I went on a little trip right along with you! Girl, let me say how groovy your handknit socks look in your crocs.

 
At 10:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just say NO to the fries!! Way to go Lynda - 3 lbs down!! You can do it, you can do it!!
Marsha

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Jenny Raye said...

Hey, are those Trekking socks I see in those shoes propped up on the computer desk?

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger ames said...

black purl has past lives too! =]

black purl shepherd sock drying, january 06:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/babylonia/93706073/

 
At 10:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home