Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Questionable Taste



I was remarking to Kaity the other day how I had more comments on my ugly/cool Trekking Jaywalkers than anything else I have knit. She intimated that perhaps I have a whole lot of friends with questionable taste in what's cool.

It got me thinking, why do we decide what we absolutely will or will not wear, what we like and what we don't. I find it very interesting and enjoyable that everyone develops their own "style."

Sometimes, I'm surprised. A few years ago my hubby and I were invited to a 40th birthday party a friend was giving for his wife. A dressy affair, a limo was going to pick us up, dinner, a whole "evening" - just four couples. We don't go to a lot of "dressy affairs" - so my husband asked me to pick him out something. The whole package, pants, shoes, shirt... "you know what I like" he says. I pick out a shirt and tie, a nice pair of dress slacks, new black shoes and belt.

He takes one look at them and says, "I don't wear black shoes." Just a matter of fact statement. Huh??? At this point we'd been married at least 20 years. "You mean, you don't like black shoes?" I ask. "No, I don't wear black shoes. I don't like them."

What happened to "you know what I like"?????

20 years, how did I not know this? I just kept repeating myself, "You really won't wear black shoes? Ever?" "Nope."

Granted, this is the man who wears shorts 360 days a year, not a huge fashion plate - but he absolutely refuses to wear the black shoes. "Just trade them in for brown ones, but I'll still wear the belt."

Now I'm really perplexed. For starters, this is the most easy-going guy you'll ever run across, Mr. Happy All The Time - it's where Kaity gets it. But he absolutely WON'T wear black shoes for some odd reason he can't explain, but he WILL wear brown shoes and a black belt to a dressy affair - NOT ON MY WATCH he won't.

So, I traded in the shoes AND the belt for brown, and a fun time was had by all.

I don't wear black shoes.... puhleeze.

Anyhoooo, this brings me to my new yarn. Monarch Farms, Fly Super Sport. It threatens to be ugly/cool socks, like the Trekking Jaywalkers. But check it out.... 650 yards, 3-ply washable wool, very soft, size 2 needles. It's like the Perfect Storm. What's not to like. Why haven't I seen anyone knitting with this? The best part - 650 yards, enough for two pairs of socks, $25. Even. No shipping, no tax. $25. I'm in love.

I do have a caveat, however. It looks nothing like the picture on the website. (see the little sample to the left, straight off the website) I double-checked, and it's the same colorway.... in theory. I know ordering off the internet is iffy - monitors all being different what what not.... but, this is REALLY different.

I don't really mind, they're just socks, and the stuff I ended up with isn't bad. And, well, let's face it - you've seen what kind of socks I'll make and wear.... and - may I add - you all seem to like! - so these should be winners.

However, I still think I've found the sock yarn deal of the century. It's beautiful soft stuff. Kaity and I wound it up into balls yesterday and I gave her half. 650 yards for $25, no shipping, no tax... you just have to be a little open to interpretation regarding the colorway. Oh, I'll order again, can't wait to see what I get!

**I've fixed the link, so now it'll take you to the website

28 Comments:

At 9:03 AM, Blogger Chris said...

I really like the yarn you received! It'll be fun to see it knit up. The "no black shoes" thing is really weird....

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Noey D. said...

That's so funny about the black shoes!! Recently my 22 year nephew told me I was no longer cool! This from the kid who thought I was the coolest thing ever earlier in his life! I was devastated!!

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger LC in Sunny So Cal said...

SCORE!! Whadda deal!

My dh said something equally suprising to me the other day, about a personal preference of his. I was suprised, and promptly forgot what he said. I'll have to ask him again!

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Now that's one I've never heard before . . . don't wear black shoes. Crazy!! I love the color of that yarn - and you are right, that is one great deal.

 
At 9:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the yarn tip - although I'm perplexed by the color difference. maybe it is the same colorway but a different lot. All the same colors are there, sure, but the proportions are completely different.

Glad you were able to exchange both the shoes AND the belt. Brown shoes and black belt - NEVER! Just goes to show you really never know someone completely!

 
At 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

FYI - the link you have up for the yarn goes to your photobucket :) Is it Monarch Magic Farms?? When I googled, that's the closest thing that came up.

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Jenny Raye said...

Thanks for the sock yarn link. Once I get out of the sock yarn jail known as SYAC, I will definitely be getting some of this yarn!

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Ruth said...

the color difference is a bit strange. but hey, yummy sock yarn is yummy sock yarn. =)
as for the black shoes - hilarious!

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Theresa said...

Pusher!

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I think it has to do with our emotions and past. For me, color has always been a big draw. Fiber of any kind has been in my life. I think part of this comes from personalities that were inbred, and some of it from life experience. I had an aunt who made me and my doll clothing. I always dreamed of being a seamstress when I grew up. But if my inate self didn't enjoy it, no one could make me do it. Gardening? NO Way! Too much dirt!

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Sonya said...

OK, let me get this straight. He won't wear black shoes, but he will wear brown shoes with a black belt? Eeeewww.

Great deal on the gorgeous yarn!

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Jillio said...

omg...weird. the black shoe thing, i mean. starfish has no choice: i buy his clothes and HE WILL WEAR IT because i've weeded out (i.e. made him throw away) everything in his wardrobe that i didn't buy or that wasn't workout clothes.
i do NOT have questionable taste in what's cool. the perception of what's cool is always changing, influenced by the media and by subtle evolutions in our culture with each generation. what's cool is determined by a general consensus and actually originates from an influential minority. if you ever read the book called "the tipping point," you'll find it takes only a few people to create a trend for the masses. look at what happened to converse shoes in the past few years...they were around since my dad was in high school in the 70's and now they're everywhere.
cool is all relative.
take care, lynda!
p.s. mmmm...sock yarn. *drool* my wallet is at least $25 lighter because of you. and hey, i was born in august :) reason enough to buy that one :P

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Ok, I am all over that yarn, but when I go to the site, for some reason, I can't see any of the pictures. Which makes it *really* challenging to choose a colorway. :\

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

My Eyes!! My eyes!! I'm on a yarn diet! Can't hit that link...

 
At 3:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The opening para of your post today had me laughing. The 2 colourways look extremely different but at that kind of yardage, it can be forgiven :) heheh, from one of those commenters with questionable taste, with that kind of yardage you can make much longer socks!

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Oh my goodness....I so LOVE that yarn colour!!! It has purple in it...what's not to like????!!!! If you decide you don't want it (or if your daughter decides it's too ugly), I'll take it off your hands :o) lol.

As for black shoes...who doesn't wear black shoes?? C'mon, black goes with anything!

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger Christine said...

The Half Pi Shawl that I just made would be *perfect* in that yarn! I might just have to order some!

I love the color you got, but wow - that is SO different than what their website shows! That is just crazy!

 
At 7:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, my husband of close to 20 years told me the other day that he doesn't like to drink water with his meals. How did I miss that? I knew he didn't drink water with most of his meals, but I never knew it's because he doesn't like it.

I bought my first hanks of Lorna's Laces today. Maybe now I will actually knit socks instead of casting on then ripping them out. :) Love your new yarn!

 
At 10:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, it's all your fault!!! I checked out that yarn and ordered 3 skeins!!!! That is a great deal but I don't NEED anymore sock yarn!!
I will let you know what my colours are like...hope they are ok.

 
At 4:43 AM, Blogger amylovie said...

Was he tortured by black shoes as a childe?!?

That was the deal of the century on sock yarn.

Amy

 
At 5:55 AM, Blogger KnitPastis said...

You made me laugh when I read the bit about your husband not wanting to wear black shoes. I have had the samething happen to me (not black shoes though) and I had been with my husband 17 yrs. Makes me question if I'm getting sometimers....hahhhaa

 
At 5:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know what? I won't wear black shoes either. But that's funny you two have been together so long and you didn't know that!

Your new yarn is pretty, even though it's so different! It's happened to me before with some Cherry Tree Hill yarn. It looked completely different than it did on the 'puter. But I still liked it anyway.

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger Lynda said...

Suzanne, three skeins?! Lucky you! I can't wait to hear what they look like!

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger Lynda said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Cheri said...

I've bookmarked that yarn site. That is a great deal on yarn!!

My husband is picky picky picky about food. The only thing I've never seen him wear is a button up short sleeved shirt. Polo shirts are okay, but cotton dress type shirts? Only long sleeved. Now I'm going to have to watch my husband when he leaves for work closer I'll bet he's done the black belt with brown shoes on more than one occaision!

 
At 4:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the color that you actually got! mmm very yummy!
your ladybug curser, very very cool ; )

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Lorette said...

I have some of that in two different colors (Amelia and Bluegrass) from when they were called Happy Trails yarn. It is a real deal. That will make very lovely, not ugly socks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home