Thursday, April 13, 2006

Every Once In A While

This is my "grandma necklace." My grandma died about 22 yrs ago. I've talked about her before. She was the grandma who traveled with grandpa (grandma in the purple shirt on the camel-grandma), the one who bought all the charms for my charm bracelet, the one who let us kids eat ice cream on the "Davenport." A few weeks before she died, my mom called and said that grandma wanted my sister and I to come over, she had something for us.

When we got there, she gave us matching pendants. She had taken the diamond stud earrings she always wore and had grandpa take them to her favorite jeweler, and had them re-made into pendants for my sister and I. My sister and I put them on then, and have rarely taken them off for the last 22 years. This is the only piece of jewelry I wear everyday, besides my wedding ring. I wear it with everything, everywhere, everyday. It ties us all together, my sister, my grandma, and I, but for some reason, especially my sister and I.

Every once in a while I'll wear something else, but usually I wear my grandma necklace, every day.

I know, this has nothing to do with knitting.... but, really, it does. Because I have a new necklace, and it's made by a knitter - a knitter we all know and love! Not only that, a knitter who is a very talented jeweler. A knitter I know, who even named this piece after me! How sweet is that? I was very touched.

And I had to have it, not only because she named it after me, but because it is beautiful.

You really must go over to Twisted Lily Designs and check out Heather's creations. She has started up her very own business - and she is TALENTED! I think she's really found her calling.

I am the proud owner of this very pretty garnet and silver, handcrafted necklace. I'm wearing it today, and I love it.

I'll still wear my grandma necklace every day, well most every day - it just doesn't feel right if I don't have it on - but this is my new "every once in a while" necklace! Thanks Heather!

18 Comments:

At 12:02 PM, Blogger Ruth said...

she's got some pretty stuff! and wonderfully photographed at etsy too. very impressed =)

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

Lovely necklaces, both of them.

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I love the story of the grandma necklace! Heather's necklace is lovely, too.

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger chris said...

I love the story of your grandma's earrings. What a special family treasure... it's wonderful that something tangible can bridge all the gaps between time and space to bond us with those we love. And your new necklace from Heather is gorgeous!! I love it! Take care, Lynda! :-)

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Noey D. said...

I love that you where your grandma necklace so often. That's so special. I have some of my grandmother's jewelry too and I treasure it. I love the new necklace too.

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Karen said...

What a wonderful story about your grandmother. There's something so special about wearing jewelry that belonged to your grandma. That new "once in a while" necklace is really something special too.

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Sonya said...

Your grandma must have been very thoughtful to know how much her gesture would mean to you. It's a beautiful necklace. And so is the new one!

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Both of those necklaces are very pretty!

 
At 6:16 PM, Blogger Jen said...

I love the story behind your grandma's necklaces. It's beautiful and great that you can feel connected to your grandma and sister both at the same time.

 
At 6:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your story behind your necklace Lynda! I would never want to take it off either, it's gorgeous. I have a special fancy ring my crazy grandma gave me, but I'll never wear it. It's all big and frou-frou, and we all know how I feel about that.
Thanks so much for all the kind words, and really, you look smashing in your new necklace. I hope you enjoy it! You took better pictures of it than I did. ;)

 
At 7:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a heart tug!! I don't have anything that belonged to either of my GMA's - they each had 10 kids each. Do the math, too many grandkids to share - plus they were poor and didn't have stuff like that. One was a quilter though but I didn't get any quilts either. I hope my granddaughter will feel that way about me when I'm gone...sniff!!
Marsha

 
At 7:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a wonderful story, and two beautiful necklaces! : D

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

How special that you and your sister have those necklaces. It's such a touching story.

The new necklace is really pretty. Heather (I think that's who you said made it), did a fabulous job on it!

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger Lynda said...

Ah, Marsha - I'm sure she will!!

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger HibiscuitsGirl said...

I love both necklaces! The grandma necklace is gorgeous and ALL of Heather's necklaces are drool-worthy.

Lucky you!

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Cheri said...

Oh my I need to catch up...I promise to slap you if you think of doing intarsia again if you'll slap me if I ever think of doing it again. It is not fun.

Love your hand warmers and pictures of. Love love love those bunnies.

Margaritas, I could use a good butt-kicking margarita about now, but funny as I sat down to read your entries this evening I did have a margarita from my freezer in my hand!

I love Heather's designs and agree she's very talented. I need to order one of her designs. I think that it's a great addition to your collection to wear when you're not wearing your grandma necklace. How sweet of her to have those made for you and your sister!!

 
At 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love my necklace too (even if it wasn't named after me!). Yours is beautiful Lynda!

 
At 2:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home