Friday, April 07, 2006

The Perfect Picture

I was gonna think up a great photo shoot for these handwarmers.... I had all kinds of ideas. Holding a mug of hot chocolate, maybe holding my cool new purse, maybe holding the steering wheel, like I'm driving. Oh, I'm full of it - ideas that is... and all these looked great in my head. Looking great.... sometimes you just want it to look perfect.

When the girls were about 2 and 3 I made them these beautiful smocked taffetta Christmas dresses. I bought them matching white tights and shiny cute black patent leather shoes - two cute little girls, all perfectly matchy matchy. It would be great for the Christmas picture and, better yet, for the one and only Christmas party we went to every year - you know the one, where you see the people you've known forever, but only see about once a year anymore - the girls were gonna be so cute!

So, I'm getting them dressed, they're looking adorable, and I go to put on their shoes, just before we're ready to leave, and I can only find one of D#2's shoes. I look EVERYWHERE. Now, come on - you've got to picture it in your head - this is as dressed up as they ever get, except for maybe Easter, and they looked so cute, but the matchy-matchy black patent leather shoes really MADE the difference. They cannot be perfectly matched down to the white tights, and then have different shoes... it's just going to ruin everything.

Never found the shoe that night - I was crushed, we went to the party and the girls had on unmatching shoes - the horror. Okay, I know it was not the end of the world in the big scheme of things, but it totally was for that night. The perfect picture was gone.

Two nights later, Santa is filling the stockings, and guess what's in the bottom of D#2's stocking - yep, the shoe.

So, today I get ready to quick do my photo shoot before I start working, and realize it's gonna be a little hard to take a picture of BOTH of my hands doing "fashiony things" AND take the picture at the same time. The tripod has been "borrowed" for use with the hubby's spotting scope, so now I'm left with the timer, and where to prop the camera.

Yeah- I'm not so good at the whole photo shoot. The only artsy-fartsy picture that turned out any good at all was the one of only ONE of the handwarmers, and you can still see the dirty kitchen window in the background. But, to prove to you there are two, here's your generic crotch shot.... sorry, not so artsy fartsy - but I had to at least prove there were two. Hey, at least in this picture my zipper's all the way up.

Pattern: Rib and Cable Mitts, Spring 2006 IK
Yarn: Khroma, The Fiber Company, colors Plum and Aegean
Needles: Size 3 DPN
Nail Polish: OPI Ultimate Party Girl

You have enough yarn left over to make another pair, just by swithcing the body and trim colors! Score!

19 Comments:

At 10:05 AM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

Beautiful job, Lynda. It made me laugh that you included your nail color in the specifications.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Karen said...

You are just too funny!!! The "crotch shot" reference totally cracked me up - my only though had been "look how small her hips are". (Yeah, just a wee bit jealous!!) A shoe in the Christmas Stocking - that's one I hadn't heard yet. LOL

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger amy said...

lol, thanks for the nail polish specs. did you know they carry opi at target now??? i didn't check out the price but i saw it just the other day.

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Holly said...

Good looking mitts! Excuse me, I'm going to do my nails now...

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Katie said...

Great warmers, Lynda! I know what you mean about trying to get creative photos. It's half of the art of blogging, you know.

What? They carry OPI at Target? (Off I go in search of good nail polish...)

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

They are gorgeous!

I appreciate the nail polish specs too. Haven't worn any in forever, but one of these days, I'll be whipping out the polish.

 
At 11:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey but at least you got both hands in the picture! Who need artsy fartsy, all we need is a little fiber.

 
At 1:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tres cute! And I hadn't noticed anything about the state of the kitchen window until you mentioned it :) You should see my house. The windows get sprayed with irrigation and are always spotty! I never clean them - I could never keep up.

Also don't look at my nails. Off to the salon for me!

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger KnitPastis said...

You have me laughing when I red the name & color of the nail polish. That's great! I really like how your cabled warmers came out.

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger Chris said...

They look great to me. :)

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger shizzknits said...

Nice job. I like the color a lot!

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Noey D. said...

I'm impressed that you have a "hand" model! Cute mitts!

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Sonya said...

Very cute! Classic crotch shot, BTW. I love your lost shoe story. There's nothing more frustrating than searching and searching and not finding!

 
At 7:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh ho. I have been there! SOOOOO been there. The matchy matchy girls and all and the party. Funny.

Now, those handwarmers are soooo cool! I bought a pattern, but haven't done it yet. Ive gotta master the DPN's.

Nice job!

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger chris said...

Your handwarmers are beautiful! Love the colors- on the nails and warmers, as well. ;-) I'm beginning to think that perfect matching cute picture is an elusive, mythical beast. Something always goes wrong- it never fails! And I LOVE your Rogue!! You did such an amazing job on it! The color is beautiful on you and it looks so comfy and cozy- I'd live in it, too! I hear you on the wet dog smell, though- my ribby cardi never smelled the same after blocking. ;-) I just ordered some Eucalan, so hopefully that'll do the trick. Thank you so much for all your support and good wishes this past week- it really meant a lot to me. Hope all is well with you... take care, Lynda! :-)

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger amylovie said...

They look great Lynda. I'm sorry I missed your Rogue post. You look AMAZING in it. That color is so you.

Thank you for the sweet comments on Yarntopia. I'll look forward to the day when you grace our doorstep.

Amy

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger Ruth said...

Hi Lynda! I love your handwarmers, the colors are fun and they certainly do look warm!

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger SAM said...

I love the handwarmers and the nail polish. I think your photo is quite artsy and beautiful.

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Hmm, nice crotch. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home