Monday, April 03, 2006

Reality Check


In which this..... becomes a hat.... but not without a lot of lessons learned. Ah, the learning curve - gotta love it.

Of course, it probably has nothing to do with the fact that I'm just trying to teach myself, do it myself - diving right in without having a clue. You get the picture.

There's a certain satisfaction to teaching yourself something - I taught myself to ride a bike, on my friend Darren's "boy" stingray.... down at the corner, where no one could watch me fall and learn. You know, get on the bike, propped up by having one foot on the fence, push off and see how far you get.... eventually, you either give up for that day because you've slammed your private parts into that stooopid cross bar one too many times, or skinned your knee, or ripped your pants. But, the next day.... there you are, down at the corner again, begging Darren to try and ride his bike. Learning the hard way, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But, yes, I did teach myself to ride a bike.

Intarsia - this I cannot teach myself. And.... I Do Not Like It. This I have learned.

A couple of weeks ago I was sitting on Mom's couch, looking through her new Knitting on the Edge knitting book, and the hubby sees a pattern for an intarsia snowflake - "you could put that on a hat for me" he says. "Sure I can!" I say. I mean, it's a simple two color snowflake - how hard can that be? I'll just google intarsia and get out that back issue of IK that has the article on how simple, elegant, and easy it is to knit intarsia. Piece of cake.

So, I swatch to get gauge (really, I did!), cast on, get my brim and edge done, and start the intarsia part - about three stitches into I figure out this is not something I'm gonna like - but I keep at it. About know, the hubby looks over and says, "Cool, my hat! Will it be ready for me to wear tomorrow?" Uh, yeah - No, that's not gonna happen - I can tell right now.

Fast forward to the next day, sitting in the LYS, where I'm about 3" into this sucker, the intarsia looks like poop, and somehow my gauge is way off because this thing is HUGE. Tarter Sauce!!! That's it - intarsia-smarsha - I quit. Not even any pictures of the poopiness to show you, because I just ripped it out then and there.

Ok - back home.... get out another hat I know fits, made with the same yarn.... actually count the stitches casted on, and start over.

Perfect fit (he likes them close fitting, but not "tight" so he can even wear them under one of his many different helmets if he wants, so it looks small, but really it fits.... very specific specifications, doncha know) - and not even a bad snowflake. The hubby likes it and is happy - that's what counts.

Oh.... that snowflake? It's duplicate stitched on... I told ya - I'm not doing the intarsia thing - any more!

OK, it's probably like having kids, where you swear you won't do THAT again, then, next thing ya know, there you are again, in the birthing room, wondering how you got there.... oh yeah..... Some sweet picture in knitting magazine will tempt me to try intarsia again.... someone slap them about then, will ya?!

I was probably getting a little uppity and full of myself after Rogue. Needed a Reality Check.

14 Comments:

At 8:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Duplicate Stitch! Take that intarsia!
That cracks me up! Hat looks great, Love the colors!

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Sonya said...

That is a great hat! You're very creative in your avoidance of intarsia. ;o)

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Lorette said...

I love the duplicate stitch! If you hadn't told us, we'd all have thought you were the intarsia queen.

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Knittypants said...

Intarsia is not the most fun in the world. But my first was on a big, bulky sweater so that probably helped. I thought you couldn't do intarsia in the round, if your hat is knit in the round then maybe you just need to try it on some flat knitting and it won't be as frustrating??
The hat looks great, too!

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Dang, that's a lot of duplicate stitch.

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger LC in Sunny So Cal said...

No!..No!..you can't give up! You can ROGUE for garwsakes!!!

come over and I'll teach you the fair isle I learned in class..it's not as scary as it looks...

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Hey, don't knock the duplicate stitch. Looks just as good, with half the headache!

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Looks great . . . and I don't even KNOW what duplicate stitch is. :) I don't think I'll like intarsia either . . . but I bet we'll both be trying it some day. :)

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

The hat looks great! I haven't tried intarsia yet, nor the duplicate stitch...shoot, I didn't even know there WAS a duplicate stitch...

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger Marion said...

Intarsia is supposed to be lots easier knit flat, maybe try that next time?

You can totally do it, though. For the longest time I was convinced I couldn't purl, and came up with a very creative way around that, but eventually (possibly years later) I figured it out.

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Jen said...

duplicate stitch looks pretty good. every time I try to do that, it turns out lame.

I think intarsia is overrated anyway. Fair isle on the other hand... I'm willing to give that a shot.

 
At 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

More than one way to "skin a cat" - not that I do it (skin cats) or condone it, you PETAs out there!! Cute hat, but am really impressed with Rogue. It looks soooo complicated!! Cool, that you used your pic in it as your signature!!
Marsha

 
At 9:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's adorable Lynda! I've done duplicate stitch and thought it was almost as hard as the intarsia. But like you, I'm going to give it a shot again (someday) and see what happens.

 
At 5:22 AM, Blogger Theresa said...

Intarsia is so evil - you found the perfect solution, and it looks great!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home