Monday, April 17, 2006

Extreme Egg Hunting

When the kids get older, the stakes just get higher. See, we always do Easter with my parents and my sister and her family. My sister and I take turns hosting every year. Now, between us there are six kids, ranging in ages from 10 to 21. So, this year, the "big kids" opted out of the egg hunt, being "too old." That, and last year D#2 took a little flak for body-slamming her 11-year-old cousin. It was an "accident."

When they were all little, it was just a free for all - kind of "ready, set, go." Then when there were older ones, and really little ones, we'd stagger the start times.... letting the babies out first so they stood a chance - otherwise all the big cousins are whizzing by snatching up all the eggs and the babies are just standing there without a clue.

So this year, in the interest of safety, all the but the two youngest opted out, like I said, which means we have probably close to NINETY eggs spread all over the backyard for TWO kids. Still, they run around like chickens with their heads cut off, trying to get the most.

It's just too funny - I mean, look at the picture.... his basket is nearly empty because he's dumped his loot twice already into a large paper bag, there are really very few eggs left to be found, as evidenced by the empty grass, and he's still going full tilt. This is serious business.

Well, it was too painful for the big kids to be left out, so next year we decided we'll up the ante, blindfold them or something. An idea that got a lot of votes was three legged race Easter egg hunting. You know, tying two kids together. Oh yeah, this is an excellent idea. I can see it now, The Bud dragging one of his little cousins all over the yard... and there'll be some kind of discussion about who has to be tied to the "uncoordinated one." This should be good.

You see, they just won't let any of the traditions fade away. We still have to do ALL the stuff we did when they were little. We have to have colored boiled eggs, candy-filled eggs, deviled eggs, and Jell-O eggs. I tried to "accidentally" forget about the Jell-O eggs this year, but No... they wouldn't let me. Not to mention all the chocolate eggs. Why, because "it's just what we do, Mom."

And, we have to have the "bunny cake." And we have to have the marshmallow treats with the Peep heads on top (sis makes those....and, where are all the Peep butts, may I ask?).

Truthfully, I wouldn't trade any of it - traditions make for memories, and it's all part of being a family, and that's important. The kids will do some (ALL) of the same things with their families. Because "it's just what we do." They never really grow up.

16 Comments:

At 12:56 AM, Blogger chris said...

I love all of your Easter pics!! And I especially love your sentiment about tradition because it's exactly the way I feel, too. Even when I was in my 20's (and no kids), my sisters and I would get together to dye eggs and make the traditional Easter fixings because "it's just what we do." I remember how much it used to touch my mom when we would call her in Hilo and tell her what we were doing. Tradition is such an important way to connect past and future; all of my favorite memories revolve around tradition, and I hope to hand down those wonderful memories to Bossy and Stinky, too. I love that tradition is such a strong part of your family!! It does my heart good to see your kids still so enthused about the bunny cake and peep treats (BTW, how AWESOME are those peep treats?!) and jello eggs. You truly have a beautiful family. Thank you for sharing... take care, Lynda! :-)

 
At 5:37 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I loved your post and I love all the Easter traditions!!! The Extreme Egg Hunting is so funny. I think it's so great that the kids still insist on doing it all. I was tramatized this year because it was the first time there was no Easter basket for me at my parents house. Because I'm 37 I didn't whine and cry (I actually pretended not to notice) . . . . but damn, I guess I'm offically not A Kid anymore. :(

 
At 8:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks like it was so much fun! Our Easter was very laid back this year. Thanks for sharing the photos! Glad you had a good one.

 
At 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi from Austria! Oh, it seems you had such a great time over Easter, I absolutely love the pics - thanks for sharing them and telling us about your Easter traditions!

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

The peep butts. I love it! You could start another extreme sport. Egg hunting, man that can be dangerous. You might lose a finger to another player trouncing on it like a wild antelope! It could be on ESPN 8, "the ocho." :) What fun traditions!

 
At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was the first year we didn't color eggs and it made me a bit sad. It really was just a timing issue, so I hope we get back to it next year. The bright side is I'm going to use the dye for yarn! Glad you had such a great day!

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger Bear Knits said...

That's some extreme egghunt going on there. Whoever got the Cactus eggs deserve them. :-)

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Holly said...

Too funny! I'm too lazy to do all that you do, though. Maybe next year I won't be so exhausted with last minute smocking marathons and will have the energy for Jello eggs, etc. :~)

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger Jillio said...

aw, that's so cool! those are some great pictures :)
jello eggs are hard to make! sometimes, if you don't seal the mold correctly, you get liquid jello all over the place! grr!
and how about that easter egg hunting...?! craziness! but it's so fun and so cute for the kids. the best thing about traditions is that it keeps the kid at heart from growing up too quickly. :)

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Oh, my, where ARE the Peep butts??

Stacey describes some fun things for older "kids" and egg hunting - made me think we need to add a few traditions in our family!

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

All the kids in my family are over 21, and we still had a bunny cake and everything this year. Good times.

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Sure sounds like you all had a great time! Hope your Easter was a happy one!

 
At 11:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its all about tradition! *L* My kids are the same way! We have to do it, we did it last year! Love all the pics, I'm going to try the Rice Krispy Treats with the peep heads, that looks good!! : D

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Katie said...

You have some great Easter traditions! (Where are those Peep butts?)

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger Gail said...

I thought it was all good - until I saw there was missing Peeps butts...

Just kidding! I love reading about other families and their traditions. Yours sound lovely, and I love the photos.

(actually, I think I've led a deprived life - I've never seen a peep, let alone tasted one)!

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger Larjmarj said...

Hiding the eggs in Cactus! LOL!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home