Friday, April 28, 2006

Nicknames

Here's Lily in her Dublin Bay socks, finished last night during the final minutes of ER, and the first few minutes of the local 11:00 news.

No, Lily's not her real name..... and this is actually a rare sighting, she rarely lets me put her on the blog. No, Lily is just one of her many nicknames. This is the kid who made up her own nicknames. When she was about 2-1/2 years old, she decided she wanted to be called Squeakers - and it stuck, and for a few years, everyone called her Squeakers.

Then, back in my soap opera watching days, she liked the name Lily, from Lily Snyder on As The World Turns. "Call me Lily, I want to be Lily now" she said. That was about age 4. That one stuck. I started calling her Lily-Pud (rhymes with wood), and the Pud part has stuck, too. That's about all her dad calls her, Pud, or "The Pud". (it never looks right when you write it, though).

I always call her Lil, almost exclusively, unless she's in trouble.

Nicknames run rampant through our family, like Kaity and Doozer. Well, actually Kaity is short for Kaitlin, but most of us call her Doozer. Her dad named her that after the Doozers on Fraggle Rock (blast from the past), those busy little guys.

My dad called all upset one day, from work no less, when Kaity was about three, asking my mom "What's Doozer's real name? I've been trying to remember all morning, and all I can think of is Doozer."

The hubby has called me "woman" for most of our lives together. I know, it sounds horrible, but it isn't.

I like nicknames - they're like little family secrets, because only you know why they really started and what they really mean.

Well, the nice, endearing ones, anyway.... "bird legs" and "motormouth" come to mind from my past.... not so fun. Everyone in the family, both mine and the hubby's, calls me Lyn. But, everyone on the "outside" calls me Lynda.

I guess the hubby's family didn't even know my real name was Lynda until the wedding invitations were printed!

People used to call me Lyndi, my mom still does sometimes.... and my sis calls me sis.... I like that.

Oh well, babble, babble, this really went a whole lot of nowhere, so how 'bout some specs:

Socks: Dublin Bay
Yarn: Lorna's Laces, Sherbet colorway. I used just a smidgen over one skein, which is pretty sweet, I think!

I revised the pattern a little bit for size 2 DPN's, casting on 64 stitches. That's the only real modification. I think this is such a pretty pattern for the variegated yarns, like Lorna's Laces.... very pretty, but still simple enough it doesn't complete with the yarn. I'll be using it again.

27 Comments:

At 9:01 AM, Blogger lesley said...

aren't nicknames fun. except when my dad decides to call me lester that is...love the socks too. i'll have to try that pattern some time i guess. once the deadline knitting is done. glad you like th ecardi. i'm lovin knitting it still 7 inches t go on the body then sleeves :)

 
At 9:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great socks! I think I'm going to make those with my LL that pooled all over the place. So pretty.

Your "secret" daughter is pretty. Your whole family is, lucky you!

Nicknames are about all we use here too. The last time Dean called me by my real name it freaked me out a little. I thought I was in trouble or something. And of course you know what we call the kid...."sabertooth." But the all her grandparents call her Betty. Heh.

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger LC in Sunny So Cal said...

Hey...wasn't it during one of Mrs. Pax's classes that you decided you were now "Lyndi"?? About the same time as the Nan hair? :)

I can't believe how grown up DD#2 looks. Where does the time go???

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger KnitPastis said...

That is a really sweet & pretty picture of your daughter. Love the socks, great colorway and pattern.

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Love hearing about all the nicknames almost as much as I loved seeing those beautiful socks!! I call DH Sweetpea or Pea in real life as well as on my blog. He rotates my nicknames - Princess used to be quite popular but he hardly uses it anymore. :( His current fave is Noodle-pie, which I'm not too keen on. I'd rather be royalty than pasta.

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Ruth said...

my hubby has a zillion little names for me that he calls me regularly (never refers to me by my real name). i know he's upset at me when he starts calling me "woman".. haha! anyhow, love the socks!! and such a lovely model for them as well! =)

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Noey D. said...

The socks and Lily are beautiful! I always wanted a nickname!

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I love the nicknames! Beautiful socks too. I'm going to have to knit those.

 
At 1:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like nicknames too. In fact I didn't know this until I was older, but almost all of my aunts go by nicknames and not their real names, my aunt elizabeth is Betsy and Aunt Sarah is Sally. I had no idea those were there names until I was in my 20s!

In my family, I was always Boom Boom Laru. My sister nicknamed me that when I was 3 for some odd reason and it stuck for years. thanks goodness not into my teenage years though.

And the socks are great!

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Lynda said...

Rebekah - that nickname is too funny - you are SO lucky it didn't stick!!

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Knittypants said...

Beautiful socks! The pink is such a perfect color, lucky girl you have there.

 
At 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the socks! That's a nice picture of your daughter, whatever her name may be. :)

I've had my nickname so long that it's really my name, I guess. When I was born I was named me Elizabeth. One of my grandfathers called me "little Lizzie" which didn't sit well with my mom since Liz Taylor was acting up then. On the spot, my mom decided I was to be called Beth and Beth I still am. It never quite worked out for me to go back to Elizabeth.

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Your daughter is beautiful. Love the socks, and I bet she does too...cause her Mama made 'em...

 
At 5:02 AM, Blogger Sonya said...

Your Dublin Bay's are great; I love the color! And it's nice to see the secret daughter too. Kevin and I use dozens of nicknames too. When we're sick we call ourselves Pneumonia and Congesto Sniffiletti. That totally cracks my mom up.

I had a friend we called Bink back in the day. It was a couple years after I knew her that a teacher was taking attendance and called her given name. I was looking around to see who the new kid was. Never crossed my mind that Bink had a "real" name.

 
At 6:43 AM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

No one seems to have come up with a good nickname for me. My SIL does call me M.A., but that is the only one I can think of. Does that mean I'm boring?!

I love the socks. I have just started working on my first pair ever. I think I'm going to like this.

 
At 7:13 AM, Blogger Lynda said...

Mary Ann, watch out, you will get hooked on socks!!

And, I seriously doubt you're boring!

 
At 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful daughter(s) and beautiful socks! I love that video of Kaity - so cute and funny!

 
At 9:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My manager told us of how, when her kids were very small,(about 20 years ago) Her husband would lovingly and jokingly refer to her as the "Dumb pollock" Her story is, at church one day, they were all getting seated, and she took her daughter to the restroom, and her husband and 2 year old son were waiting, and I guess they took awhile, cause her son turned around, and said "hey! where's that dumb pollock?" Her husband never called her that agian.
The best part, it turns out she's Hungarian, not polish.

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger mehitabel said...

Gotta love nicknames! I've known a few sourpusses who refused to allow their children to be called by anything but their given name--what fun is that? My kids and cats all have half a dozen nicknames each, including gems like Fooshie (Jennifer) and Phnorkie (Courtney) and Trinkie (Caitlin). Oh, and great socks on Lily, too!

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger uhoava gnu said...

Pretty socks! The pattern seems good, too. I'm sure your daughter was so happy of the new socks that she agreed even with photographing ;)

 
At 8:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

She looks like a Lily... so graceful and elegant. And the socks suit her too. Tres belle.

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Nicknames are quite fun. My dad used to, actually still does on occasion, call me Jumbo Jen or Gumbo. I'm not entirely sure where either of those came from as I can firmly attest that I am neither of those.

Anyway, lovely socks!

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger Holly said...

I am such a fan of nicknames! In fact, I warned my Dh that naming our last dc Brent was not such a good idea. Sadly, we could agree on nothing else. The problem was-what can you do with Brent?!? So he's Who-who. I'm not sure why now, even though I'm pretty sure I started it. Poor kid :~)

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger Cheri said...

I think it bothers my mother that my kids go by the names I gave them. I named my daughter after my grandmother Kate. My mother told me that I could not name her that (I was 39 years old, I think I could) because my step cousin Katie had recently died in an accident at the age of 8. My daughter is not a Katie, she is "sissy" (which is a nickname of another cousin, who at nearly 60 years old is still "sissy"). AAAaahhhh Nicknames. I do think they're fun (sometimes)

 
At 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the socks!! I'm going to have to give that pattern a try. I love how it came out! : D

 
At 10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, So pretty! Isn't lorna's laces the best? You are just a sock-knittin lunatic these days!

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Your Dublin Bays turned out very well! Isn't it fun to knit? Zip zip zip along.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home