Friday, May 05, 2006

Jinx

I recently found this great new knitting blog, Uhoava Gnu. I have no idea how, but she found Count Your Socks and joined, and we've emailed back and forth a bit. She is in Finland, and just started translating her blog into English. It's so fun to read.

One thing I learned in talking to her, is that sock knitting comes natural to her, because they learn to knit socks in their version of Middle School.

How Cool Is That ???

Another thing she mentioned, while posting in her blog, was that she was tempting fate by posting pictures of an unfinished object. Apparently it is bad luck to post a picture of an unfinished project - kind of jinxes the whole thing.

I had never heard that. That could explain a lot, come to think of it.

Oy - if that's the case, I'm in heaps of trouble here. If I didn't post pictures of knits in progress this would be one borrrrrrrring blog and no one would ever come back! You'd have all given up on me LONG ago...

Are you kidding??? I milk a WIP for all it's worth! Remember Rogue? Look at these cables...... Look at these cables, 2" longer today. Hmmm, look at these cables from another angle..... uh, look at these cables again. Hmmm, can I think of a lame-o story about cables so they don't notice it STILL LOOKS THE SAME!

Bless you all for being so patient!

Good thing I don't believe in luck, either bad or good! Case in point.... one finished Black Purl sock, and the beginnings of a ribbed sock in that beautiful Turquiose Jeans Claudia's handpainted - both in "versions" of real patterns. More on the reasons for the "versions" later (believe me, it has a LOT to do with my being a lazy and easily frustrated knitter).

Oh, and fair warning..... you'll be seeing the same ol' socks all next week.... but from another angle, of course!

.... and a big THANK YOU to everyone who encouraged me on my "get healthy/weight loss endeavor" You guys are great!! - keep on me!

19 Comments:

At 9:14 AM, Blogger lesley said...

hey if anything could jinx knitting i think it would be liking the work in progress. i mean f you're happy with it in the early stages then its bound to be a failure! posting photos. thats just fine ;)

hey how does one join that whole counting sox thingey???

 
At 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yikes. I don't need bad luck. I'm one of those superstitious people, and I have to knock on wood and stuff all the time. I will check out her blog, she sounds fascinating!

I love your black purl sock. How do you not get pooling? Must be good luck. ;)

 
At 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi from Austria! Oops, I never thought about this - strange as I'm quite superstitious usually - that posting photos of unfinished objects could cause bad luck with them! Gosh! But no, let's still post pics of our projects, perhaps we can beat the bad luck a bit and make it good this way!
Your purple sock is actually absolutely amazing - I enjoyed reading through your blog and will definitely return!

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

Cute edging on the Lorna's Laces! No jinx. No jinx at all. WIPs contribute to Big Knitting Mojo, remember?

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger uhoava gnu said...

Hi there Lynda! Thanks for advertising me in your blog ;) Yeah, in fact it seems to be rather common within Finnish knit bloggers to believe in this don't-show-your-ufo's-stuff. Maybe it has something to do with the English name UFO?? Well, however, I feel totally free and happy to show my ufo's (except the ones for presents) for all the blogging world!

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Jeanie said...

Pretty pretty pretty!!!

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Oh please no, it can't be a jinx to post WIPs. That's the only thing that keeps me motivated when you hit that "dead spot" in the knitting . . . where you knit and knit and don't feel like you are making progress. I have to keep going, otherwise my blog pals will see me for the knit slacker that I am. :) I agree though, it may explain a whole lot about certain projects.

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

I'm like you...I don't believe in luck, either good or bad. They say it's bad luck to stick your needles in the skein/ball/hank of yarn in between knitting sessions. Oh well, good thing I don't believe that cause I do that thing ALL the time!

 
At 3:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't believe in luck either, just grace. I am checking blogs on my phone here in Gville. I think I found a house that is the same plan as the one we "lost" but, get this... it's in a better neighborhood! He moves in mysterious ways!
I will start to count my socks once I can figure out how to put buttons on my sidebar!

 
At 9:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We LIVE for pictures of WIPs/UFOs!! It's inspiring for me. If all that was posted was pics of FOs - that would seem a lot of boasting. But the WIPs are a glimpse of the process we are going through, whether problems are encountered or whatever. We get tips and inspiration, read about modifications. And isn't the process really what drives our obsession with knitting? It is for me. It's never the finished object for me - that's why I know I have way too many WIPs!! And, Lynda, the stories - LOVE the stories!
Good luck with the dieting! I'm trying to rid myself of more poundage before our "tropical" vacation.
Marsha

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Chris said...

That's a gorgeous sock! I love love love how it turned out.

Phooey on the WIP thing. We'd all have to stop blogging.

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger Bianca said...

I usually post photos of finished items as well... That has nothing to do with bad luck or so... only the fact that I usually have just one work at the time on the needles :-)

Have a super weekend!

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I had to chuckle with the different pictures of rogue. I've been contemplating doing the same thing, as I don't have much to show either!

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Sonya said...

I'd have nothing to blog about without my marathon WIPs. I really like the pattern you're using for the Black Purl. Those colors are great together when they don't pool.

 
At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the purls with the black purl socks!!
As for superstitions, I have a all black cat!! heehee : D

 
At 2:58 AM, Blogger amylovie said...

Just think of all of the knitting we could have done if we had only learned in Jr. High!

Way to go on your first lb.!

Amy

 
At 5:15 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

I like seeing the progress of knitting. I like knowing other people get excited when their knitting grows another inch. My poor husband had learned to oooh and ahhh over any knitting I show him- sometimes even when I am asking him if it looks horrible and should be ripped out.

Oh and look at that ticker!! Woo-hoo! 3lbs down. You'll be wearing all the slinky knits you want before you know it!

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger KnitPastis said...

It keeps me motivated to see the progress we all do while knitting.
There is so much I have learned from other bloggers posting their progress. Anyways, girl...I love those colors of the blue yarn!!

 
At 10:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home