Tuesday, June 06, 2006

ohhhhh, What Have I Done

Yes..... that's Kaity, and yes.... she's spinning.

She's been wanting to spin for awhile now. And, I keep saying, absolutely not - NOT in my house. Seriously, people - you have no idea how her knitting alone has taken over the entire house. It's everywhere, in some form or another. Two or three WIPs lying around, and that's just in the family room - my office has a few other WIPs, and then.... there's all the "stuff." The little cut pieces of yarn that never seem to make it to the trash, the patterns and parts of patterns everywhere.... DPNs, circulars, aluminum needles - on the couch, in the couch, under the couch...

Gotta love her - but, man, that girl does spread it around.

So, NO, I was not giving in to spinning, and roving fluff adding to the mix. Not.Giving.In.

Then, we heard rumor of a new yarn store. Modern Gypsy Studios. Exotic fiber-handspun yarn. Well - I mean, really, we had to at least check it out.

It's a small place, but 95% of the yarn in there the owner, Deb, has spun herself! LOTs of it- mostly wool, but some silk and other stuff too.

Deb - she's quite engaging.... and very friendly. She just started telling us all about the store, the yarn, her plans. She showed us a new shipment that had just come in (darnit! I wish I'd actually taken my camera INTO the store, duh....). It was a box of 100's of silk worm cocoons. Little white balls of silk with the worm still inside. She showed us how they opened them, got the little guy out, then dyed them and spun yarn right from the cocoon. Well, I never...

Then, it happened - she saw the twinkle in Kaity's eye and glommed onto her, and that was it. "Here, hold the spindle like this... try it... it's easy... it's fun." Kaity's beside herself now - eyes twinkling all over the place. And, me - I'm right along side her.... "ooooh Kaity - you can spin the yarn and I'll knit it! Ooooh, look! - you're doing it!"

And Deb, the owner, she knows we're sucked in.... now she's talking classes and rovings and dyeing, who knows what else.... we're still in super-novice mode - a little green on the lingo.

The clincher was when she handed Kaity a spindle made from a dowel and a CD. "Look, if you just want to practice and see if you like it, this works just fine! Here, I'll even give you this one."

She knows a sucker or two when she sees them. Like the hubby would say - "she's a-cutting, and you're a-bleeding"

Yeah - so, I caved..... I bought the daughter a $5 bag of roving.... I'm such a sucker. Really, one of us ought to exercise a little self control.

Kaity spun all the way home (not an easy feat in a VW bug), and I could barely tear her away to go to graduation practice. I've created a monster, I'm sure. Let the fluffing begin.... fluff everywhere.... fluff, fluff, fluff.

Sadly, I'm as excited as she is - you should see the beautiful rovings in this place - and such pretty colors.... oooooooh (can you hear the sucking noise?)

All in all, we got out pretty cheap for our first trip - a free spindle, $5 of roving, and I bought three $5 skeins of wool sock yarn (Alice Strathmore Scottish Campion) - one of the few yarns Deb didn't spin herself.

What have I learned this week - Never, never, never say never.

Oh, yeah, before we left - she demonstrated her spinning wheel ;o) No, absolutely not.

22 Comments:

At 3:44 PM, Blogger amylovie said...

Of all the habits you sweet daughter could have, I think you got off pretty easy mom.

Will you miss the fluff n' stuff when she's off at school?

Amy

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Jillio said...

SUCKERS!
haha.
just don't buy her a wheel and have her organize everything. nothing more painful than a dpn sticking somewhere it's not supposed to.
spinning is fun and entertaining. makes finding time to knit difficult, though.

 
At 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uhoh...I just spoke today with a lady up the road that has a home-based yarn store on her farm. She told me how easy it is to spin and invited me to come out to see the yarn and pet the sheep. Would it be a mistake for me to do this?! I would have loved to see the silkworm cocoons!

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Hmm, we should all place bets on how long it will take before you have that spinning wheel in your house. LOL

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Knittypants said...

Hahahaha!! Oh well, think of all the wonderful yarns she will spin for you :-)

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Lynda said...

Yarn fluff, people. It's already collecting in the corners!

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger LC in Sunny So Cal said...

AAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

YOU WENT INSIDE!!!

(I've only cruised the windows so far!)

Neener neener, you caved first!

(I have a drop spindle..and a couple of rovings...you mean this woman Deb will show me how to use em?...)

AAAAARRRRGGGG!!!!!!!!!

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

It's all over now. Roving money is going to compete with the yarn money budget. Heh heh...

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger Chris said...

As Lynda stood at the top of the slippery slope...

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger jennifer said...

EEK! i;m so scared to learn to spin for fear i'll fall so deeply in love you'll never see me again. my mom even offered to watch the duo so i could take a class at the upcoming fiber festival, but i still hesitate.... darn you VR women and your enticing pictures and gushing over rovings!

 
At 5:27 AM, Blogger Mamma said...

At least now you know what to get her for a graduation present. And soon she'll go to college, hopefully taking her yarn fluff with her and only bringing it in with her laundry

 
At 5:39 AM, Blogger KnitPastis said...

I think that's great she wants to spin & knit.

 
At 5:42 AM, Blogger opportunityknits said...

Oh, it sounded fun and it must have been difficult not to fall for it

 
At 7:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww, common' mom...please buy miss kaity a spinning wheel:o) Hey, it's just might minimize the wip clutter;o)

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger Sonya said...

Is she calculating how to fit a wheel into her dorm room yet?

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Cheri said...

I haven't figured out the drop spindle thing very well yet. I did get a chance to spin on a spinning wheel. Addictive. I want one. Of course I'd love to have more time in my day to do my hobbies and such.

A spinning wheel would make a nice graduation gift......

 
At 7:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no.


;-)

 
At 8:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The first thing I thought was that she could spin the yarn for you to knit!! Besides, rovings are cheaper than the finished product...
Marsha

 
At 7:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh boy!!!
Love it.

 
At 4:28 AM, Blogger uhoava gnu said...

LYNDA!
I received your wonderful package yesterday and I'M SO HAPPY!!!
Thank you very much! The socks are the loveliest I've ever had!
Thank you :)

 
At 11:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm gonna laugh when I start hearing sheep bleating noises coming from your end of the block!
NG

 
At 4:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahhaahhaaa it could be worse, she could want sheep! heheheehe
I've been trying to resist spinning too.. its getting harder and harder!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home