Monday, June 12, 2006

Finding Larry*

*or, "Cashing In and Dropping Out"

Is it just me?, or do we all have fleeting fantasies of just cashing it all in and dropping out of society - getting out of the rat race. Okay, actually, my life isn't all THAT hectic, maybe more of a mouse jog than a rat race, but you get my drift.

Just cashing it all in and living a simple life somewhere, just the few necessities, whatever we each deem those to be, and sitting around, in my case, knitting, camping, hanging with the hubby.

We have friends who actually did this about 15 years ago. They were both in their early 20's, married 3 or 4 years, both on the way up the corporate ladder, had just bought their first condo, new cars... the whole enchilada. He and his wife were mountain bike riding buddies of the hubby.

They cashed in and dropped out. They figured they were young, had money, could cash out without any debt, were never going to have kids, and just decided to live their dream. They moved to Durango, Colorado to ride mountain bikes whenever they wanted in "mountain bike heaven." They live simply in a trailer park, he works part time at the ski lifts in the winter, and part time during the summer when they use the ski trails for mountain bike downhill races, and she substitute teaches when they need the money. And they ride their bikes. Still, after 15 years. We still get a Christmas card every year.

Soooo, the other day I'm working on the First Class shawl - and just can't get over how soft this yarn is. Prime Alpaca. They're not kidding. Prime stuff. It is so seriously soft.

Now, those who are more fiber-savvy than I will probably say "so what", but I didn't realize until I was buying it and the shop owner informed me, that this stuff isn't even dyed. This is the actual color of the alpaca.

For some reason, I'm pretty sure his name is Larry. Larry the alpaca. He's got to be the star of the herd, the envy of all other alpaci (plural of alpaca, maybe?) - because this is easily the softest alpaca I've ever felt. All those alpaci are suffering some major fleece envy, I'm quite sure.

So here's my plan, we get together a group of like-minded knitters/spinners and hire a detective to find Larry, then we cash in and drop out, start our own little knitting/spinning commune - you know, live in yurts and let the babies run around naked... kum ba yah and all that stuff. Maybe we could get a couple of sheep to keep Larry company, and start spinning and selling Larry yarn. At our own pace, of course, and only what we don't want to knit with ourselves.

"Larry and the Fleece Mamas" yarn - hand dyed, hand spun. I'd buy it, wouldn't you?

Slight problem, though.... I'm slightly attached to the hubby, oh yeah, and the kids - and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't go for it. Well, maybe if there was good mountain bike riding for the hubby... and Kaity wouldn't be too hard a sell. We need a spinner, anyway.

oh, well, a girl can dream.

18 Comments:

At 9:26 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I'll come be a Fleece Mama!!! It's not like I have a job to quit anyway - I did that seven months ago!! Just have to convince Pea . . . hmmm, how to "spin" that one? Ah, no worries, I'll just batt the eyes and pout a little. I'm so spoiled, that usually makes him cave. LOL

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Cashing it all in to spend time with an alpaca named Larry... Sounds good to me!

 
At 9:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are speaking to my hidden desires (from 40 years ago)!! I'm ready! 'Cept we have to have more than one Larry and lots of sheep.

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Sonya said...

Count me in. This pesky job interferes with my knitting too much anyway. Kevin and I discuss "living off the grid" quite often, usually in the context of invasion or national castrophe though. (We have very active imaginations.)

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger Holly said...

I'm SO with you on this one! Except that we MUST have a decent(OK, nice) bathroom, 'cause we just went on our first camping trip last week and I still haven't quite recovered.
I've been wanting to get angora rabbits-can I do that part? Alpacas for you, bunnies for me-see how easy this is going to be?!?

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Sharon in Ireland/NZ said...

Sounds idyllic!

 
At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do I have to wear handknit woolen underwear? Perhaps a "cash it in" three day retreat of sorts would be more like it

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger Amy from Ezekiel's Garden said...

Teflon would like the running naked around the yurt part. Bubba and Timex would love to be running around outside, but I don't know that I could convince hubby to give it all up for that. Otherwise, I'd join you as a Fleece Mama, and Teflon too!

 
At 6:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could it be within walking distance to a mall at least???

 
At 6:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

An alpaca ranch is for sale about 45 minutes or less from my home. Check it out
http://www.4seasonsalpacas.com/
Marsha

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger Coleen said...

Count me in! I keep saying I'm going to retire to an alpaca farm where I will knit, pet alpaca and perhaps raise a few angora bunnies for fun. There has to be a big sunny porch with rocking chairs to sit in while I knit.

Heaven!

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger Dana Marie said...

You know, we work so hard to fit the world's standard of who we are supposed to be, how much house we're supposed to have, how clean and orderly said house is supposed to be and we end up miserable and miss the point- that this world isn't all there is!

 
At 7:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, lovely dream there Lynda! I so love alpaca fur, it's the bomb! Count me in on your little alpaca commune/cult thingie. Sounds too good to be true, actually!

Larry is a great name for an alpaca, by the way.

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger mrspao said...

I love that you've named the llama Larry :)

PS That is one of my favourite verses.

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger ~Kristie said...

I told DH that since we're moving to Lake Elsinore (which seems like it's in the middle of nowhere comared to the busy-ness of Orange County), that we should buy a little house with lots of property to raise alpacas & sheep & such. He obviously asked why & then proceeded to tell me that I don't even know how to spin yarn. Of course, that problem could be remedied.

You're a wealth of info...I had no idea that not all yarn was dyed! Boy, do I feel stupid!

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Chris said...

You had me there for a minute. Until I remembered that I'm in love with the alpaca that Etherknitter featured. Whew!

 
At 6:52 AM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

Sounds great! But what are you going to do about summer knitting?
Growing and harvesting cotton is a lot of work.

 
At 7:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm... Larry looks like he would make a really cute rommie, so tempting... ; )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home