Thursday, July 20, 2006

The 9th Month

I just want this shawl to be done.

It's not because I'm tired of knitting it - I'm still really enjoying it, but I'm ready for it to be over. Move on.

I want to block it and see how big it gets. I want to wear it. I want to drape it around the house and pat myself on the back everytime I look at it because it's going to be so gorgeous (modest, eh?). I'm itching for quickie - like socks.

I'm also dying to start another shawl. I'm thinking I'm gonna make a great shawl person. I think I'll wear them well. Remember - in my mind, I'm extremely glamorous. I'm thinking the art of dramatically wearing a beautiful shawl will start me on my road to glamourdom...

But, mostly I'm just ready to be done. To move on.

If you've had a kid, or more.... it's kind of like that last month of pregnancy when - even if it's been a relatively easy pregnancy, you're just ready to be done. The novelty has worn off - about now you just think you've always been pregnant and always will be. You can't really remember what your toes looked like....

You're excited for the next step - the payoff. The process has run its course. You're actually even looking forward to labor, just because you're ready to be DONE! Now! Well, unless you've already been through labor before, then you have those panic moments that set in where you realize what it's gonna take to get this kid out. You know, that part you absolutely swore you would NEVER do again.... yet, here you are, again.

I'm sure that thought will set in during the big "bind off." That's gonna suck. I'll be telling myself I'll never make another shawl.

But- hey, this is the woman who had 3 kids in 3-1/2 years - I'm good at lying to myself, and I obviously have an extremely short memory.

but - definitely worth the payoff. Better than you could have ever imagined.

Right now, though.... I'm just ready for it to be done. I want to see my lap again.

19 Comments:

At 8:35 AM, Blogger Charity said...

Oh, Lynda, you made me laugh! I so remember feeling that panic with my second one, when I was about 1 week away from delivery. With baby #3, that was my first thought after realizing I was pregnant! Like babies, though, the shawl will get done, and it's looking beautiful. You know it will be worth it in the end, and you know you'll want to do it again :0)

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Sonya said...

It's looking beautiful, Lynda! Hang in there; you know it'll be worth it. I would like to see a photo of you wearing it in a glamourous fashion.

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Ruth said...

wow, it looks so pretty so far!! can't wait to see it all finished and looking fab on you. you can finish it! =)

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Karen said...

You are almost there, and the pay-off is going to be so fabulous. And you are very glamourous in my mind too!!

 
At 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you make beautiful kids and now, beautiful shawls too. Here's the best part. The kids never did much to make us more glamorous, huh? The shawl -- definitely! It's gorgeous.

 
At 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehehe, you are funny. You shall be finish in no time then you will love wearing it around and pampering it :).

I love the color you chose.

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Laura said...

This post is hilarious, especially that last line! That really is the same for shawls and babies! :)

It looks gorgeous, though. I can understand why you can't wait to see it blocked.

And you know I am right there with you on the "glamorous in my mind" thing. But, Lynda, you are glamorous OUTSIDE your mind, too. :)

 
At 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what a beautiful shawl! I want to make one for myself one of these days (already made one for my MIL)--I agree, it's so glamorous.

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I remember that ninth month with both of mine. I just wanted it done. I remember even patting my belly and saying, "Ok kid. Out already." I especially said this to my August baby. I also remember the panic about the second labor, except this time I knew I was going to have an epi instead of doing it au naturale like I did the first time. It made the trauma easier.

 
At 12:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I love it, what you wrote is exactly how I feel. Because inside i know I'm a very glamourous girl who'll wear an adorable black slinky dress with a gorgeous shawl wrapped around my shoulders. At least that's who I am on the inside. :-)

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger LC in Sunny So Cal said...

PUSH, BABY! PUSH!!!

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger ~Kristie said...

Your shawl looks beautiful!

Thanks to you, I won't wonder what it's like to carry a baby in my womb for 9 months. Now, all I have to do is knit a shawl!

 
At 5:18 AM, Blogger Mamma said...

You are so funny. I know that feeling well, just wanting to get it over with. Sometimes I'm so sick of looking at a project when I'm done I can't stand the thought of wearing it. That's why most of my stuff ends up being given away. You can finish this, and you'll be oh so glamorous when you do. It doesn't help that by the time you get to the bottom of a top down shawl each row takes forty-five minutes to knit.

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Hee hee - love that "good at lying to myself and I obviously have an extremely short memory!" Too funny!

Hang in there on the shawl....

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Cheri said...

I remember well that panic!! I feel the same about binding off when I realize that I have a kabillion stitches to bind off. Will you post a glamorous picture of you and your scarf? It looks gorgeous and I'm sure it will look perfect on you.

We're on our second Trooper. Bought the first one when I was pregnant with the 16 year old in 1990. Bought the second one in 2000. They were wonderful with all of the kids, but I'm ready for something a little more gas mileage friendly. (the husband has been driving the Mini)

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Lorette said...

3 kids in 3 1/2 years?? At least binding off a gazillion stitches isn't painful.
And you're already glamorous, girl. The shawl will just make you more so.

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger Bonne Marie said...

The FB was my very first shawl - I love it so - yours is in such a beautiful colourway - WOW!

Lace: bet ya can't make just one...

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

The shawl is looking so beautiful Lynda!

I've not had any kids, but I do understand about wanting a knitting project to be just done. I end up setting it aside and starting something else and then going back and forth. I enjoy the small projects though, the ones you can get done in no time and see the results of your work. The bigger items look great too, but it just takes soooo long. Maybe this is God's way of helping us knitters to develop patience...

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Amy from Ezekiel's Garden said...

Hahaha!! That is so funny!

I'm that way with my wrap. I'm almost halfway there, and the 2nd skein has gone more quickly than the first, but I'm. still. ready.

BTW, I can totally relate on both counts. Swore we'd not have any more kids (unless adopted), and we're now saying that we probably will. Also, feeling the same way about wraps. They are so glamorous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home