Wednesday, August 23, 2006

School Supplies


What is it with school supplies? You have to have NEW school supplies every year. The pens, paper, notebooks, backpacks you finished out last year with, a mere 3 months ago, will not possibly do.

I totally get this.

I love school supplies. They appeal to the nerdy, obsessive side of me. New, shiny, crisp books that have yet been cracked open.... New pens. New pencils with pristine erasers. And I don't even go to school anymore - but I was almost beside myself in the college bookstore with Kaity yesterday. Surely, there's some reason I NEED those cool pastel plastic envelopes in every color, and new Sharpies, and dividers with pockets, and these cool Post-Its in colors I don't have... etc.

So far this year, for myself I've stopped myself and limited my personal purchases to journals (actually, Mead Composition Books - did you know they come in COLORS now?), and pens. Journals are my new obsessions. I've got one for Bible study, and a prayer journal...., and a knitting journal where I jot down random thoughts (you know, I have a mind like a steel.... uh, sieve, and if I don't write it down, it's gone forever). You can't have too many journals. Or enough back-up journals.

I'll be dropping enough $$ at college and university bookstores this year on stuff the kids need, I can't afford to be wooed in by all the cool pens, paper, etc, etc, etc - but it's all so pretty!

My new KnitPicks chart holder totally appeals to my nerdy, organized side. I had a perfectly fine metal board and magnets that held my cable charts just fine.... but that's not the point. Shoot, I mean, if we're talking function, a Post-It works just fine, stuck right to your pattern. But that's hardly the point. Um, hello! - this one is obviously so much better. This one folds closed, and has a cool cover, and snaps! I mean, come on.... what's not to love. It's the $9 Cadillac of chart holders! Love it. I really needed it.

However...... the next time I see some teenage kid (boy)... and there have been a few - check it out, moving all the magnets around, which of course I don't notice until they say "Hey, what's this?" ..... I'm wapping him upside the head with it. Well...... it DID keep track of where I was in my cable pattern. DID...

People need to keep their hands off my cool stuff. It's my cool stuff. Get your own school supplies.

21 Comments:

At 12:37 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

Oh! We are kindred spirits! I ordered the KnitPicks magnetic board the day it came out... love it! And my boys have (hopefully) already learned the "Don't touch!!"
rule.

As for school supplies... I homeschool so I get to pick out and purchase curriculum and books as well as notebooks, organizers, pens, paper, colored pencils etc. each year! This part is much more fun than the getting kids to actually cooperate without losing my mind part.

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger LC in Sunny So Cal said...

ooooh, school supplies. I'm SO there with ya!

I got Sweetpea off to her first day of Middle School yesterday. Wha???

She's so calm, and collected and excited. I had to bite all my teeth down really hard not to say "Oh my GOSH, middle school is the WORST time of your LIFE!!"

Weird thing is..when I was teaching, (and even now!) middle school aged kids are my hands-down favorite.

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger amylovie said...

I had a ball buying the girls stuff this year. I love the smell of fresh tablets.

Amy

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

I wonder if you attach a mouse trap to your chart holder, if that would deter the teenaged boy from moving the magnets...

As for school supplies, I love them too! I love going to Staples or anywhere really, and just browsing or buying or...or...I got a pack of 6 or 8 highlighters and two packs of 12 pens with the different colours of ink (purple, blue, red, green, yellow, orange, black) not long ago....love it, though the yellow is too bright for white paper.

 
At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

School supplies, office supplies, knitting supplies, sewing supplies, card-making supplies, rubber stamping supplies, scrapbooking supplies, .... They're all appealing!

 
At 12:06 AM, Blogger ~Kristie said...

oh crap! Now that I've seen your KnitPicks chart holder I want one too!

 
At 2:54 AM, Blogger opportunityknits said...

I just have a worn out photocopy of my charts stuffed inside my knitting bag! Sadly, I have come to accept that I'm not organised enough to use all the cool stuff, although I enjoy checking them out at the stationery department.

 
At 5:53 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Wow, you do have some very cool stuff there. I'm with you on the love of fresh school supplies and journals. Every time I turn around, I come across another blank book I forgot I had (I've got to start using those!!!). I could browse in Staples for hours. There may be something wrong with me. :)

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger Charity said...

I hear you on the school supplies! I think for me, it's all that potential for learning and creativity. Kind of like why I love yarn so much :0)

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I love school supplies! The paper, the notebooks, the pens.... Love it all.

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Are we twins separated at birth. I love school supplies. I have 3 pencil cases, 1 for most of my knitting bags, OK, that's another obsession. I have a folio that holds pattern sheets, booklets and other pages of stuff. I have small highlighters to mark off rows and pattern sizes. Just cut me loose in an Office Depot and I will never come out!

 
At 3:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now those are my kind of school supplies

 
At 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That board is way neater than my board! I NEED one of those! That is so cool!
I completely get what you're saying. I got so excited buying school supplies, and it wasn't even for me! Shoot, my kid has plenty of supplies to last her quite a while. I may have gone a wee bit overboard, but who can resist that wonnnnnderful smell of fresh new crayons? NOT me. :)

OH! I hear ya on the moving of the magnets. I was complaining about that a while back, blaming the family for touching my board and losing my spot, and here it was the cat all along.

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Ooooooo! I like it! School supplies are so much cooler than they ever were when I was in school. It may be a reason to go back!

 
At 6:40 AM, Blogger Sonya said...

I share your love of school supplies. There's nothing better than a brand new notebook.

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger Cheri said...

I have a magnetic board somewhere and I love it for working charts (I have to hide it from my daughter who loves to "help" by rearranging my magnets).

School supplies...oh how I love new school supplies. I have my grandma's desk (which is pictured on my blog), in it I have a little wee drawer with my new pens and pencils, and I have a larger drawer with school supplies (which I didn not picture, but could). My daughter started kindergarten and she seems to have my same need for school supplies ("but mommy, you have to make my lunch in my lunchbox and I can eat it at home").

I think I need that Knitpicks chart holder....my birthday is coming up, perhaps I'll leave a very subtle hint.

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger SAM said...

School supplies are the best! I love going to Office Depot and perusing the pen isle. I love the smell of crayons and all the possibilities a brand new box contains. New folders, binders, and ah, yes, the journals. I have a personal stash and always seem to find a new use for one. Once again - joined at the hip!

 
At 9:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooohhh! i love me some good school/office supplies. I'm off to buy some new binders today for all of my printed out patterns. Can't wait to see what colors are out there : )

 
At 7:28 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Oh, I might have to get one of those...

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Lorette said...

I love school supplies! I can't resist journals, either. My current favorites are the Moleskines, our B&N carries them.
I want that chart holder. How come I didn't see that when I did my KP order??
And my sisters (these would be adult women, not teenagers) think it's hilarious to click my row counter when I'm not looking.

 
At 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm OBSESSIVE about all that stuff. And even though my post-it really does do a great job with keeping track of where I am...I NEED THAT CHART THINGIE!!

[Breathe...no, I don't need it. I can't even PAY for it!! :O)]

Fun times, buying school supplies--or office supplies--or, whatever supplies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home