Monday, August 21, 2006

Queen of Denial.... and Why Am I Now Knitting "Cruisewear?"

"26-miles across the sea, Santa Catalina is a-waiting for me...."

Yeah I fell for that once, 35 years ago or so, and swore NEVER AGAIN was I going on a boat. I.Get.Seasick.

Crapola - I just keep talking myself into stuff. Forward to 2 years married, in Hawaii for vacation, on a sport fishing boat. Sick again.... I tell myself NEVER AGAIN!

Since then I've paddled 30 miles in a canoe - that's okay, canoes are little. I went to a wedding on a party boat in Laughlin - on the river, not to choppy, took my Dramamine... felt like crap, but had just lost weight and was looking good and it was the first time the hubby and I had been away together in a long time..... so it was all good. Didn't warf and embarrass myself.

Forward to last Saturday...... eh. The invitation says "join us aboard the Condor Express as we celebrate 20 years." Apparently the couple whose anniversary it is, took the "old" Condor Express to the islands (Santa Cruz, to be exact) to be married, on the island, 20 years ago. Oy - boat people. If I'm thinking celebration - I am DEFINITELY NOT thinking boat. Well, go figure, he's a lobster fisherman.

So, the hubby says, "it'll be fine - it'll be a harbor cruise, they won't leave the harbor.... you can do it." I call to RSVP and the "groom" says, "we're really looking forward to it- the weather should be great, and we're hoping to make it to the island and back!" Panic now starts to set in. I don't do boats - for more reasons than just the sea-sickness.

Saturday, driving to Santa Barbara, the hubby looks out at the ocean and says, it's pretty rough and windy today - I'm sure we won't be going to the island. You'll be fine.

Yeah right.... these are lobster fishermen... they're not going to let a little wind stop them. Next thing I know, I'm on a boat, headed 19 miles out to an island I CAN'T EVEN SEE.... and once you're committed, there's really no turning back!

Now, to be fair, on the ride over I was feeling fine - believing in the wonders of modern medicine and drugs, and enjoying the trip. It was very choppy, but that's better than the wee-wah floaty stuff that's sure to make me sick. I got to see a pod of dolphins doing their stuff - that was very cool. And, once you could actually SEE the island, it was really very pretty. We cruised the entire length of the island... and then- the.boat.stopped. And floated - you know, that wee-wah get sick kind of floating. While the happy couple looked out at the spot where they were married and reminisced - I was getting greener every second and making note of all available places to puke with the least amount of embarrassment.

LOOOOOONG, miserable story short.... I hung over the rail, in the cold, cold, dark, wraped in my now slightly damp, but beatiful Icarus Shawl, focusing on oil rig after oil rig twinkling in the distance, until I could FINALLY focus on the DISTANT shore.... while I could hear everyone else partying not 5 feet behind me in the cabin, eating, drinking, celebrating and dancing to the live band. HOW do they do that??? I'm feeling so craptastic I'm hoping I live to make it to shore - me and the one other poor seasick lady sharing the rail with me. Boat people - I'll never be one.

NEVER AGAIN - and I mean it this time.

So, why am I casting on for the Prosperous Plum Tank the minute UFO August is over? I'm going on a cruise in April, remember?

Queen of denial.

24 Comments:

At 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cruises are different, or so they say. You'll be ok. And I can't wait to see the cruisewear!

Oh man, going to a party where you can't participate in the partying -- that just sounds awful.

 
At 1:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is there prescription strength Dramamine? My MIL gets terribly seasick and she's been on cruises. I think she had some type of patch to put behind her ear.

Can't wait to see the tank you're going to knit!

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger jillian said...

How awful! I can relate - I too get easily motion sick. Dramamine mostly works, but the behind the ear patches worked completely on a former cruise trip - even when we went through a storm. I was one of the only people left standing!

I'm thinking hard about the April cruise. I trying to get Knitting Spaz jen to room with me!

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Lorette said...

I'm not so much a fan of little boats either. I remember one particular adventure that combined a sailboat with chili dogs for lunch. It was not pretty.
Cruises, now, that's a different story. Those boats are the size of floating cities. For the most part, you don't get sick. For the most part.

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Mia said...

Ohh... but the cruise will be SO much better :-) If it's a big ship you probably won't feel anything at all, but as your comments already suggested.. those behind the ear patches are the best and I highly recommend them if you're the least bit worried.

Relax.... the cruise is gonna be awesome :-)

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger amylovie said...

I get seasick too. I feel your pain. Like Barb said, I've heard that most people don't get seasick on cruises.

Amy

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger LC in Sunny So Cal said...

Whew...I made that trip with the 5th graders this June, and that's the ROCKIEST part of the channel, by far. I was the proud room mom who didn't have even ONE kid get sick (I made them all eat a bagel before boarding...settles the tummy). Me? I'm a bonine and keep me outside regardless of the cold girl. As long as those two things happen, I'm good.

Didn't we see Elton John's band on the catalina boat? I don't remember you being sick! I remember them being DRUNK!!

You'll be fine on the cruise...get some bonine, you don't get sick OR sleepy.
The big boats don't pitch and roll like pleasure boats.

I have to say, I always think of you and Tim's family when I make the "channel crossing". =shudder=

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Lynda said...

LC - I don't remember Elton John's band being on our boat way back then. I do remember being sick.

Yes - I've never been a big ocean or boat fan, but after Michael I've NEVER had a desire to go to the islands, or even on another boat. I guess Saturday I was talking myself into being brave and not thinking about it (and fooling myself that I wouldn't get sick!). Didn't work :(

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger ~Kristie said...

I've been on small boats & large cruise ships & although I'm not found of small boats, the cruise ships, (even the new large ones), CAN rock a bit if the seas are rough. I recommend the Transderm-Scop patch for your cruise. You may not need it, but better safe than sorry.

P.S. I missed reading your blog while I was away!

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Lynda, I bet if you had your knitting with you to focus on you could have passed the time without feeling sick ;o) Glad you made it through without woofin' your cookies!

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger Marsha said...

I hope Icarus survived the trip - that would've really made me sick!! I'm claustrophobic, afraid of heights (whatever phobia that is, get motion sick on every type of "vehicle" - you name it. Before we went to Hawaii, I went to my doctor and he gave me some "happy" pills because he determined that it was more the anxiety I felt prior to and during any of the activities involving travel that upset me. It worked like a charm! Especially when we went on a dinner cruise, we started out on this little boat to get to the much bigger boat floating out in the Pacific. Imagine my embarrassment when I discovered I wasn't boarding the CRUISEship but rather a boat just slightly larger than the other one!! My first dinner cruise - what did I know?!! But it was fine and we had fun.
Cuuute tank - what color - blue or purple?
Oh, and would that be the Queen of dePacific or Queen of deAtlantic...

 
At 7:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw. You know, that is the SWEETEST thing that you did for your friends. You gave up your stomach to be there for them. You're a better person than me, that's for sure. I hope they know your sacrifice. :)
You must not mind puking, since you're going on that cruise. Crazy Woman, you are. Hope you have fun though! *hee*

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger AngeliasKnitting said...

I'm sorry you get so seasick! Boy, your post today made me miss California. You said Catalina and I couldn't stop thinking about that island {sigh}.

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

I'm totally with you on the boat thing... it affects me on so many levels (boats, waves, claustrophobia, isolation from the world, naseau, fear in general... )I could go on but you get the idea.

My husband, however, has wanted to take me on a cruise for years. This one may just be the ticket! Maybe I could just not mention the knitting thing, he'll agree. Then I can just play dumb and say... wow, look at all these other knitters, what luck! Then he can go to the blackjack table where he would really prefer to be and we'll both be happy!

I think I can do it... I just gotta get some dramamine, pepto-bismol, xanax, etc. Hmmm

 
At 6:39 AM, Blogger Marion said...

So, I don't get too seasick anyway, but cruises are different. The ships are so huge that once you adjust to walking on the boat, you generally can't even tell that you're in the middle of the ocean unless you look.

 
At 7:24 AM, Blogger lesley said...

oh you poor thing. the tank will be gorgeous though. i hope it goes ok :)

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger Charity said...

How about some Gravol? Do you have that down there?

I'm sure even though you felt awful, you still looked lovely draped in Icarus.

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Oh no. I'm reading along and thinking, "hey, isn't she going on the sea socks cruise." Uh-oh...

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Brenda in Toronto said...

oh man, seasickness. it's just so awful because there's no relief. i still remember a quote from my high-school biology techer about seasickness: "At first, it's so bad you're afraid you might die. Then it's so bad you're afraid you won't!"

hope you find a remedy. if it helps, i too went on a cruise and was just fine. it's the small boats that kill me.

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Chris said...

That last line killed me - you're taking a cruise?! Yowza, woman... Have you tried ginger tee or ginger capsules? It's supposed to help with nausea...

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger opportunityknits said...

I get sea sick, airsick, bus sick, sometimes car sick too and rely on dramamine, so I totally understand. Yes, I'm thinking the same as the others, a big ship is probably more stable than a smaller boat. Apparently ginger works too for some people, but I haven't tried it yet :)

 
At 10:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

#1 Beautiful sweater.
#2 I love your story-telling ability!
#3 Seasickness = icky-poo. I'm with Chris, try GINGER--but real live ginger if you can stand it (I love it!). Dramamine is evil...you'll never even know you were ON the ship if you take that stuff, you'll sleep through it! And you have prolly heard it before, but stay on the deck if you're feeling icky...toward the middle if possible (it doesn't move as much) and tell me when it its and I WILL PRAY FOR YOU NOT TO GET SICK!! Maybe I'll start now. :O)

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger SAM said...

I have never gotten sea sick, but was queasy just reading your story. The picture of the sunset is gorgeous - again I am homesick! Thanks for your comments on my blog. Thanks also for your post on time and priorities, it reminds me I am not in balance in all the important things. You are so dear to me.

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Cheri said...

Bless your heart!! My mother gets seasick and car sick, dad boasted of being in the navy (seabees) and he got sick on a deep sea fishing trip. Me? Nada, I've sailed out to Catalina, I knit on school buses. I consider myself very very lucky. Get yourself to your doctor before your cruise. You simply must have fun on that cruise (I've heard that those behind the ear patches work the best)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home