Saturday, September 23, 2006

Halloween Mistake #2

.... or more appropriately titled "Know Your Target Audience."

Fall church carnival again... this time I'm feeling completely inventive and unique and go dressed entirely in black, with a cool beret and some black rimmed glasses.

I kind of forgot how young most of our church is.... and spent the entire evening explaining what a beatnik was.

Maybe I should have carried a set of bongos and recited poetry.

I felt really old. Really! - I had no idea people these days did not know what a beatnik was.

Oh yes - that's Kaity on my left, a flapper, and Lilly on the right in a wetsuit with a dolphin on her head, being a dolphin trainer. Now, that costume really was brilliance. She carried a little pail of swedish fish candy, labeled "bait" and made all the little kids do tricks, then she'd toss them a fish. Brilliant. Why didn't I go with that one... Because I'm not getting into a wetsuit - that's why.

In the fiber news.... check out this pretty Polar Morn Kaity spun up for me! It's about 145 yards of spinny Merino perfection - destined to be wrist warmers.

Wrist warmers - like I need another pair of those. It's 90-ish degrees outside today, the Santa Ana winds are blowing like nobody's business, and in the back country, about 7 miles from us, is a brush fire that's burning, going on the 4th week now. All we've had for weeks now is heat, smoke, and ash.

Yeah - I think I'll work on my wool Fair Isle sweater and make me some wrist warmers.

Ya know what??? I can knit whatever I want. It's a pretty little fantasy world I live in, and quite a bit colder, too.

15 Comments:

At 1:42 PM, Blogger Ann-Marie MacKay said...

i can't believe your daughter JUST learned to spin and has already produced that!!!
beautiful!
i tried my hand with a drop spindle the other day--and it was sad...sad, sad, sad

 
At 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Polar Morn is beautiful (and well-named)! I like the beatnik costume.

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Laura said...

It's colder in your fantasy world - is that what you mean? lol Yes, it's colder in my fantasy world too - where I wear socks even though it's over 80F outside. Y'all call it air conditioning. I call it "pretending it's winter".

Beautiful spinning Kaity!! Are your daughters Kaity and Lilly?? Two of my daughters are Katie and Lila. :)

 
At 5:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful Kaity!!!

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

Just let me know when Kaity's ready to go into business!!!

 
At 12:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice picture.... wich one is your daugther? i have some difficulties to understand all what you writte, sorry if i not follow always! lol
would you make a special translation for me sometimes??? lol

 
At 6:53 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Lovely yarn by Kaity! Bravo!!!

I think a Beatnik sounds like a great thing to dress up as.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger LC in Sunny So Cal said...

Hey! Cool beatnik man!

I bet I can dig up some even OLDER pictures of costume parties....want me to look????

(insert evil laugh here again!)

 
At 9:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, Kaity that yarn is amazing!! I can't believe she just learned how to spin, that yarn is just, wow, amazing!!!

 
At 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personally I think you look great! So what if the younger generation doesn't get it.
That is beautiful yarn. I can't wait to knit some wrist warmers also.

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger amylovie said...

Your weather is about like Houston. You know what my knitters friends say? Just knit whatever you want and crank up the AC.

Amy

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger Jen said...

heh! I am probably about the age of your target audience, and I do actually know what a beatnik is. Only barely though. And I think it might have something to do with those new Gap commercials with Audrey hepburn in the skinny black pants in them.

Is it Halloween already? Crap! I missed my wedding!

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Too funny about the beatnik thing. I don't think bongos would've helped!

 
At 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey - I know what a beatnik is, thankyouverymuch ;o) Of course, I've also watched 'Funny Face' sixty gazillion times... ;o)

Your daughter is doing a great job with the spinning! ;o)

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Donna Boucher said...

You will never be bored! Spinning and weaving and vacationing....

What a full life ;o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home