Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Imaginary men - real sleeves....real LONG sleeves...

Starsky and I are stuck on Sleeve Island. Ok - back in high school, that totally would have made me swoon. I was totally into Starsky and Hutch. That was back in the day when my buddy Linda and I cruised Main Street every Friday and pretended we were "oh so cool" in her Camaro. Looking back on it - her Camaro was probably the coolest thing about us.....

But we did go gaga over Starsky and Hutch. I liked Starsky, my friend Debby liked Hutch, so that worked out for us. Linda - who was your favorite? - I don't remember now. But, remember how, back in high school, we were just SURE that if we met them somehow... they'd fall for us. I was quite sure of the same with David Cassidy or Bobby Sherman.

But now, well, I'm sad to say (after I've totally dated myself again), here on Sleeve Island, Starsky's not the man I dreamed he'd be. He's really not doing it for me. He's a little boring, I'm surprised to say. He's not entertaining me, he's not fanning me with big ol' palm leaves, or bringing me daiquiris. I guess Starsky's probably a little out of his element on an island, though. Island life is probably a little slow after all the crime and thrills of Bay City.

I know what would work - someone should design a Magnum PI sweater. I'm quite sure I'd knit that.... and I KNOW Magnum could handle the Sleeve Island thing.

But, that's okay - Starsky wouldn't be my first choice any more for my one guy to get stuck on a deserted island with, or even Magnum. That honor goes to my Johnny Depp, well, assuming the hubby can't make the trip.

I gotta say - I won't be stuck on Sleeve Island very long, Starsky's fast. And, although that's great for knitting sleeves, I'm not sure that's what you really want from a man.

Besides.... I'm thinking I'll escape from Sleeve Island tomorrow night while I'm watching my new favorite hunky guy.... McDreamy. He can pinch hit for Johnny on a Thursday night. Mmmmmm...

Guess I'm fickle.

I should move on.

See that purse in the magazine - I.Want.That. I am going to knit that. I love that purse. I have it in the Holiday issue of IK - but it's been published before, somewhere. I will make it happen - after Christmas probably. While I'm already galavanting everywhere with Starsky. After I've knit the other things I've started.... and the two other projects I already have yarn for.

Then. There's no hurry.... it'll wait for me. But I will knit it.

13 Comments:

At 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*sigh* McDreamy is so fine!!!
I've been coveting the same bag : )

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Dana Marie said...

Starsky has stolen your focus from the fair isle... how is that one coming along??? :) Monogamy in knitting is so hard...

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger Lynda said...

The Fair Isle's on hold until I finish Starsky... because I'm more anxious to wear it right now...

of course, I could change my mind at any moment, so stay tuned!

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger ~Kristie said...

I wasn't into Starsky & Hutch, but do you remember the boys from Duke of Hazzard? My little brother watched the show for the car chases & I watched it with him (while babysitting him) for Bo & Luke.

Do we really have to wait one more night for McDreamy? Bummer!

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Johnny Depp... deserted island? Oh yeah, sign me up!

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger Jillio said...

wow, starsky sure is a show-stopper (the sweater, not the dude). i love that color. i'm stuck with so many WIP's, i just want to build a bridge and get over them all already. can't finish socks because i feel uninspired, can't finish scarves because it's inches and inches of the same thing, got a sweater that needs sleeves, and a simple shawl that i messed up somehow and don't have a lifeline to save me.
can't say there are any celebrities i'd like to be stuck on a deserted island with, but i do know a local boy or two... :P

 
At 6:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm loving that purse, too. I thought I had seen it somewhere before, too, so I'm glad you said that. Do you think it's a smaller version of the big carpet bag published before?

Your sweater is looking great!

 
At 7:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

saw that purse before. if i didn't have so many projects at hand, that would be up on my to-do list =)
p.s. ditto on McDreamy. although McSteamy is up there too =)

 
At 6:33 AM, Blogger LC in Sunny So Cal said...

Well, it's all true. If I ever have a mid-life crisis, I'm going to find me a '67 blue Rally Sport Camaro and bring it home.

I think you and Carlson were the die-hard Starky and Hup fans, I think I was more into Magnum. And Barry Gibb, of course. Those WERE the days. Oh, and let us not forget one Varsity-Football-Player-Who-is-Now-a-Gray-Ponytailed-Biker-Gas-Station-Owner. Gad, things do have a way of working out for the best, don't they? ROFL

Love your Starsky. I'm in a mid-sleeve-hell myself, working on two smallish sweaters (one for Sweetpea, one for the grandson of a friend), and they're both having their first sleeve closing in on the wrist. Oy!!

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Mamma said...

A Magnum Sweater *sigh* I'd knit that. Or Johnny, Oh Johnny, why oh why did you never wander into smalltown usa, see me and fall madly in love as I know you would have if you had just seen, just once. But I digress.

I love your Starsky. I've got the yarn to make a Starsky of my very own, I just haven't found it in all these boxes, but your pictures have raised the green eyed monster in me. I want a Starsky. So I've got a lot of unpacking done in my search for my Starsky yarn. Thank you! And keep it up! If your eye starts to wander just keep knitting Mamma.

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger Tammy said...

I think that's why I stick to one sleeve at a time. Yes, I struggle a bit more with row counting and making sure they're even, but one sleeve is usually a fairly quick knit and I thrive on those small steps of accomplishment.

 
At 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay. 1.Those hunky star-types are never what you think they are.
2. I would like McDreamy more if he ever said what he meant! Do these people ever finish a conversation????
3. That fabulous bag was pulished a few years back in IK. I had to have it, bought the yarn kit, and it's been sitting in my stash ever since. I think I"m going to sell it, becuase although it's wonderful, I have too many felted bags!

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Oooooo, Jonny is the man I dream about ... when my DH doesn't enter my sleep world that is, hehe.

Oh I want to knit that bag also. I got the mag sitting on my side table opened right to that picture, but only dreaming at the moment 'coz holiday gifts have taken over my time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home