Wednesday, February 07, 2007

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly Wearable

I just love you guys. You silly, silly people. You obviously don't know me very well. "Just frog it and start over." You don't even know how that makes me laugh. I am NOT a frogger.

I don't know exactly why, but I absolutely HATE to, and probably won't, frog more than a couple of rows of knitting. Ever. I'm stubborn that way.

OKAY. Let's start with "The Good." Green Gable - she is finished, she fits, and she looks great from the front.

So, here's "The Bad." I'm about 4-5" into Green Gable, have just finished the lace section, and notice, about 2" up, that I've made a couple of increases in the back of the sweater. I really should have just left well enough alone there.

But, no. I'm telling myself it'll bother me, so I decide to ladder down and take out the increases. Well, there's no picture of that result, but let's just say instead of the increases, I now had a VERY loopy, loose spot in the middle of the back of my sweater. I tweaked and pulled and tried everything I could to try and spread the stitches out evenly into the rest of the work - but no going.

I should have frogged back then.... it was only about 2", but I cringed at the thought of frogging back through the lace panel - and I'm pretty sure I would have screwed that up, so instead I decide to ladder back down and put the increases back in. You can see what that got me. I obviously didn't have a clue what I was doing.

This is the point where I tell myself - just go on, your hair will cover it, you can block it so it's not too noticeable..... lies, lies, lies... but I keep going anyway.

Ugly. (click the pic for bigger, more life-like ugliness)

Now what. It's finished, and it's ugly. A couple of you mentioned frogging the entire sweater and just starting over. Now, that's just the funniest thing I've heard in a while. Start over... uh, no. See, by the time I'm about 3/4 done with ANY knitting I'm pretty bored of the yarn, color, pattern, etc, and am just ready to be done. To start OVER is unthinkable. Huh uh.... can't start OVER.


So here's "The ugly Wearable." I know.... there are some of you out there just shaking your heads, wondering how I could settle. What can I say? Am I pleased with myself?- not really. Even I KNOW and can admit that I should have started over when I was 5" into the whole thing.... but we know that I didn't.

So, I covered it up. I took votes. I polled the family. I got advice. Even the non-knitters admitted it was bad - when non-knitters notice and cringe, you know you can't ignore it. They also admitted I was a little far into it to go back now. So, I had Kaity crochet me up a little flower, and I stuck it over the bad part. We'll just call it a sweater tattoo.

A cop out? Yes.

But, if I had frogged and started over, then I would have hated knitting it. I would have got bored, and mad. As it is, I like it well enough, I'll wear it, I'll call it a design element....

I'll always know it's not what it could have been, but it's okay. I'm okay with that. I turn my back on what could have been, and carry on, on to the next knitting adventure.

I hope those of you who are real knitters and perfectionists (yes, I even envy you a little) still come back and check in on me from time to time.

44 Comments:

At 12:41 PM, Blogger Jenny Raye said...

I think it is the perfect solution!!! Excellent idea and execution. Must remember it.

You look great, btw.

 
At 1:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You fix looks great! Even if I don't make that mistake (which would be really easy do to!), I might ask Kaity to make me a little flower for the back of mine just as a sign of solidarity.

I'm encouraged to keep going, because it looks really great on.

 
At 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like it! It's personalized. Nobody else has one like it (yet).

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Lynda said...

I'm thinkin like Barb (my sis) says, maybe I can get everyone to put a flower on the back of their Green Gable!

 
At 4:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just thinking that your butt looked good too, just like LC. heh.

I think the sweater turned out great, and the flower? Awesome idea. (Kaity you're so smart) I want to put flowers on all my sweaters now.
I hope you will wear it after all that angst! Really, it looks super swell!

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger Ninabeena said...

Aww, I'm going to be knitting this soon. I want my own crocheted flower for mine! I think it's really cute and creative.

 
At 4:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwww...cute solution. You made it work for you, and it looks great!

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Sonya said...

Perfect solution and way better than frogging!

 
At 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perfect save. Learned that from scrapbook pages, huh? It's really pretty and unique.

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger Abigail said...

A most excellent "cop out"! Now yours is truly unique!

I love the creative spirit that lives in you:D

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger opportunityknits said...

Lynda, you're really so funny! Love the flower. I once sewed a button the the back of my Tshirt because I cut a hole in it while cutting off the price tag :)

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger mary said...

It fits you so beautifully, I could understand why you don't want to frog. I'm like that also. The crocheted flower is a nice little surprise in the back. Shhhhh, it'll be our secret, us and all your readers.

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

Once again, I must say... I really wish I had a Kaity!! What a creative solution! She can crochet a flower on mine anyday.

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Look at the sweater tatoo as a "design element." I like it!

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger jillian said...

Way to boss your knitting around! Good for you!

 
At 7:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant! Absolutely BRILLIANT! Now the sweater looks great from both the front AND the back! Good for you and you owe Kaity a BIG ONE! Kaity honey, ask to be compensated with yarn!!!

 
At 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

GG looks so nice on you! Way to save the project! I wouldn't have thought of that.

 
At 10:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't have thought to do that! I'm a frogger but not a perfectionist. I wonder if you could've done a duplicate stitch over it in the same yarn or maybe a an intarsia design? Looks like it turned out to be a happy accident!

 
At 11:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the flower! I am some what of a perfectionist when it comes to knitting. However, when I teach knitting classes, I help the students learn to cover up well. Some would be just too dicouraged to frog and start over. I want people to enjoy their knitting and know they are the Masters. Great way to cover up! I'd do one on purpose for that tattoo!

 
At 6:06 AM, Blogger amylovie said...

I refuse to frog too. It infurates me just to think of the time I have wasted. Some say that the knitting itself is enjoyable, so why not knit it again? No way man! I am a PROJECT knitter through and through.

The "tattoo" was a stroke of genius.

Amy

 
At 6:08 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

I think it is adorable. A little sassy, too!
And it works. If you ever grow you hair longer, think about the little peek-a-boo it'll play with the rest of the world. I think it'll make whoever's in line behind you at the coffee shop quite happy to see such a cute surprize.

 
At 6:12 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

You silly goose, of course we'll come back. That wasn't a mistake anyway ... it was a design solution.

 
At 6:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the flower! It is so cute. I want one too (this is assuming that I will ever get around to making Green Gable).


note: I typed Green Bagel. heeheehee

 
At 6:34 AM, Blogger Mamma said...

You're brilliant. I feel like all I ever do is frog these days. There area other solutions beside frogging. Frogging is the easy way out.

You look great! (yes, your butt is rockin those jeans)

 
At 6:59 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I believe you may be on to something. I think sweater tattoos are going to be the next rage in knitting!! Next think we know, we'll be hearing you interviewed on pod-casts and reading about your sweater tattoos in Knitty. :)

 
At 7:25 AM, Blogger Susanne said...

Woooohoo, what a great idea!! Brilliant as the Brits would say, just Brilliant!!!

 
At 8:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the way you fixed it - the flower actually looks cute! I will frog entire sweaters, but I'm not likely to remake the same one with the yarn, as I would get too bored with that too.

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Lorette said...

Girl, that is just perfect. I wouldn't have frogged it either, and the tattoo idea is brilliant.

 
At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great solution! I loathe the thought of frogging and starting over.

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger CaveGurl said...

Great save! The sweater "tatoo" is so cute and you look great in your Green Gable! I will definitely remember that one for future reference!

 
At 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that's what I call forward thinking, so clever!!

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Jillio said...

oh. it took me a moment to realize you didn't just make a lacey eyelet motif over there...kinda like the baby bolero in one skein. i think that's what i would've done. but it looks cute the way you did it. i would've just worried my flower would fall off after washing the thing because i suck at hand-sewing stuff. good job! i like the color!

 
At 1:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say that i'm a frogger, but i think that was a great idea.
Congrast on your Green Gable. Looks very nice

 
At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that it looks wonderful.
Like it was part of the design in the first place.
Great Job!

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

I think the sweater tattoo is an excellent solution! It fits you well and looks wonderful - the sweater that is...great job Lynda!

 
At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are brilliant! I love it! It's a perfect sweater for you, Lynda...and you are an ispritation to all of us froggers out there!

 
At 7:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, my word...can you tell it's late for me? I can't believe how I spelled "inspiration!" Good night.

 
At 12:14 AM, Blogger ~Kristie said...

BRILLIANT! I probably would've just bought hair extensions!

It turned out fabulous & I think you may have just started a new trend .. the Flower Green Gable!

 
At 4:37 AM, Blogger mrspao said...

I like it with the flower. It's a team effort!

 
At 11:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lynda - I love the "tatoo!" Great save!

-Amy

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger Tracey, in MI said...

the flower- is cute---- Well done. BTW--- I HATE to frog- ad wish my oops's turned out half as well;)

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Katie said...

Well, hey! I think the flower is a great solution! It wasn't a cop-out--you're a problem solver! I envy you, because I, on the other hand, am nitpicky to a fault. I just ripped an entire sweater that I finished last year. It was sitting in my cedar chest, and every time I opened it, it said "I'm made from $60 worth of yarn and you don't even wear me. Loser." I'll have to post about it soon. But I actually feel a huge sense of relief.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Jen said...

REAL knitters? Hah! I think you're a real knitter to come up with such a cute solution. I think the crocheted flower looks great, and tee-hee... a knit tattoo!

 
At 10:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it! Inventive and unique!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home