Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The JOY of Knitting

My very good friend and walking buddy has three very cute kids. The girls babysit for them from time to time. Last week, Kaity was getting ready to go babysit and she told me, "I'm teaching the kids to knit tonight!" So, she gathered up three sets of needles and three balls of yarn, and off she went.

Two of them ended up loving it, and the other is going to give it a try next time.

Last night I was over visiting, and I asked if I could see their knitting. They both ran upstairs, eager to show off. The 10-year-old, a boy has about 2-1/2" of very nice, and really quite even knitting, with very few mistakes. He was all smiles.

The cutest was their daughter, though. She is barely 6, and was very proud of her 5" of knitting- very loopy knitting, with, I'm sure, with a few short rows knitted in there somewhere... a beautiful jumble of red yarn - and she couldn't have been more pleased with it!

I asked her if she liked knitting, and she replied, "I LOVE it!!" She skipped off and shouted back over her shoulder, "I'm knitting a blanket!"

Knitting just for the joy of knitting - that's when it's the best.

So, even though I'm not finished with Eiffel yet, I lightened up on myself and decided it was okay to cast on another project last night. I've decided to put Central Park Hoodie to the bottom of the "to knit" list and concentrate on "cruisewear."

Next up.... the Swallowtail Shawl from IK, and when I'm done with Eiffel I'm going to mix it up with Green Gable.

BTW - check out this beautiful lace weight Kaity dyed for me. I tell ya - that kid is getting pretty handy to have around!

15 Comments:

At 8:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! I so need a Kaity! The yarn is gorgeous!

 
At 9:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woohooo, more knitters are born!

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Lorette said...

Isn't it fun to watch kids that age learn something new? They are SO enthusiastic, and haven't gotten to the stage yet where they are worried about every mistake.
If you ever get tired of having Kaity around, send her over here. She can spin lace for me anytime! That will make a gorgeous shawl.

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger K. said...

That yarn is so beautiful! That's going to make a nice shawl!

 
At 10:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my that yarn is beautiful! And more knitters ... Yippy, we'll take over the world yet!

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

How cute are those little hands knitting!

 
At 12:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm...casting on ANOTHER project with others half finished?..

I knew you'd come to the dark side eventually! Bawhawhawhaw!

Sweetpea is having a blast with her knitting too...granted, she's 12 in a couple weeks, but still...

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Brenda in Toronto said...

that lace weight is gorgeous! lucky you :)

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger Donna Boucher said...

Lovely yarn, beautiful pattern!

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger amylovie said...

I love to see my girls knitting. They really do do it just for the fun of it. No deadlines for them!

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger opportunityknits said...

Kidas knitting, so cute. Wow, that is one gorgeous dyed laceweight.

 
At 5:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your daughter is so talented!! What beautiful yarn, and the shawl will look lovely in it.

 
At 6:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember trying to teach my daughters to knit. My son wouldn't even tough the needles. But it didn't take for some reason. o.k. I admit I'm not always the most patient person. Maybe that was it.
But now they love it..it just took a great teacher like Kaity!

 
At 2:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay for new knitters, how great! I love how very enthusiastic kids this age get with learning something new, it's just such a joy to watch!
And I really love that yarn, so very beautiful!

 
At 6:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty, pretty yarn!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home