Sunday, January 14, 2007

Knitting Weather

I'm kinda loving our cold snap, well -because for Southern California it's an anomaly!

The high today here in Lynda-Land was 48, and this morning at 7:00 it was 27. You could hear the wind machines running in the orchards running all night, trying to keep the poor citrus and avocados from freezing.

Apparently we're silly Californians who don't "do weather." Today at the market they had orange caution cones set up around patches of ice in the parking lot. Apparently they figure we haven't seen ice often enough to know to step around it.

But, as you can see from the picture above - we are wearing our knits! I got to meet two new friends this weekend, and we all showed up in our hand-knits! That's Tammy, there in the middle wearing her fabulous Starsky, and Julie in her beautiful Ella. That's me on the left, duh.... in my purple Essential Stripe. We met up at our LYS and finally got to meet in person, shopped a little, and then went out to lunch. Tammy and I have been writing back and forth for a while, so it was great to meet her in person. Now there's a perfect day for you, meeting great new friends, buying a little yarn, and having lunch!

I did pretty well - only got these two skeins of Tofutsies. I passed them up last time I was there, and have dying to go back and get some ever since. Shrimp yarn, what will they think of next. Ok, granted, it's only 2.5% Chitin (made from shrimp and crab shells), and, No, it doesn't smell like fish. I'm really not sure what the reason for adding the Chitin is at all - except maybe novelty? Although I did notice they say it's naturally antibacterial! Maybe that's it - shrimp yarn = fresh smelling tootsies?

And just to wind things up here..., and to prove it really is cold, here's a picture of the start of my Eiffel sleeve, taken this morning on my frozen grass. Brrr!

13 Comments:

At 9:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that picture looks familiar! Let's get together again soon!

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

I'm loving the cold, too - nothing like getting to wear all the warm stuff!

 
At 2:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lynda - I am loving the pictures of your Eiffel - did I miss what kind of yarn you are using? It looks gorgeous.

 
At 3:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lynda,
It was wonderful to meet you! I love the Eiffel(as well as the frost)! Beautiful deep purple yarn. You'll have to let us know how the seafood yarn knits up. It sure looks, feels and smells good, but how does it knit?

 
At 4:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cold in California, no way! Actually I just spoke w/ my in-laws last night who live in San Diego and my FIL was astonished that the temp reached 28 on their back porch Saturday night. He said that the water in the hose froze and he wasn't able to water his plants. Heehehe we here in the snow capital put our garden hoses away in October.

Sweet sweater!

 
At 6:38 AM, Blogger Lynda said...

Susie - I'm using Euroflax, and it's surprisingly very nice to knit with!

 
At 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good time! Very cool sock yarn :o)

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger ~Kristie said...

BRRRR.... I've travelled to Oregon so I'm missing the cold front there, but I'm freezing my buns off here, so either way I guess I was going to be cold this week!

Stay warm & enjoy Eiffel .. it looks like it's coming along beautifully!

 
At 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wbqbbbrrr!!! frozen grass!! It looks chilly. Great pick of ya'll in your hand knits! I love the new yarn you picked up especially the one on the right

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Lynda...if you want, I could do my best to send you the snow we're getting this evening...lol! However, it is PERFECT knitting weather (though for me, any weather is perfect knitting weather).

 
At 6:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! My comment didn't show up!

(I'll try again)

Your meet up looks like it was fun! Isn't it great to have friends to shop for yarn with?

I hope the oranges make it okay. :(
We had an ice storm Sunday night and just got our power back this morning. My hair is scary without electricity to work the grooming tools, ya know?

You're almost done with Eiffel aren't ya? Yay!

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger mrspao said...

Shrimp shells? It looks like you're having fun :)

 
At 6:54 AM, Blogger Donna Boucher said...

I wish I could come and knit with you :o)

Stay warm :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home