Friday, February 09, 2007

Well, That Was Painful

..... or what happens when you don't follow(read) ALL the directions.

That, my friends, is about 3 hours of unproductive making-things-a-whole-lot-harder-than-they-are, and about 1 hour of actual productive knitting.

Last night I had a rare LONG stretch of knitting time ahead of me, about 3-1/2 hours. Pretty much unheard of at my house.

But, I seem to have no project to work on. I've spent all week casting on and off for various things that weren't quite right, wrong yarn for the pattern, just didn't like, too hard... (I never did get my head wrapped around the Swallowtail Shawl - that has been ditched for another lifetime) - just general unproductive knitting ever since I pulled Green Gable from the flames. I'm waiting for yarn for something new, but I just need something to get me through until ye ol' mailperson arrives.


However, I'll be darned if I'm gonna waste 3 hours of my favorite TV and knitting time with nothing to knit.

So, about one good hour was wasted complaining to Kaity and the cats that I don't know what to knit. They really couldn't care less. Then, I spend another 15 minutes trying to make my arm fall off winding 880 yards of laceweight from hank to cake.

Then I decide I don't want to use that yarn after all.

I finally decide on Ene's Scarf, which I have wanted to knit for quite a while now. I read the directions and note that instead of like most shawl patterns I've seen, this one is knit from big to small, instead of starting out with a couple of stitches and getting huge. Hmm.... cast on 375 stitches, with the yarn doubled. That in itself almost stops me - but I am determined.

So I spend about another hour trying to figure out HOW I'm going to do this, and how much yarn I'm gonna need for a doubled long-tail cast on of 375 stitches... but finally end up with 375 doubled stitches successfully transferred from a mess of yarn wound all over my living room, and wound around two helpful cats, along with a bazillion stitch markers - safely to my needles. I thought about taking a picture of the whole yarn/cat mess, but I was having trouble counting to 375.

By the way - the helpful "estimate" I Googled of 1" of yarn per stitch cast on is a HUGE over-estimate. There was a LOT left over for the cats.

WAIT!!! Did I fail to mention I NOW re-read the pattern and note this is supposed to be a knitted cast on.... well that explains a lot. Like the fact that I must be half brain dead. Talk about the villiage idiot...

Anyhooooo - OK. Good to go - sit down start knitting away, thinking that's a pretty clever, if not unwieldly, way to get 750 stitches onto a needle... knitting away, stop to check my progress.... Hmmm, I seem to have finished the pattern, but still have a TON of stitches left on my needle. Hmmm, half to be exact... Oy- I've been knitting into every stitch instead of knitting into them double. They didn't make that part very clear - or at least not clear enough for ME. They only want you to have 375 stitches, I guess the doubled-up part is just so you have a nice thick sturdy border - or maybe just to confuse and test you. They never really explain that part.

Sweet mother of "purl"..... you've got to be kidding me. Tarter SAUCE!!! (I really shouldn't be allowed anything other than plastic needles and acrylic yarn) This is total amateur hour. But, you know me, there's no way I'm going back now and RE-casting on all those stitches. We all learned from my last post - I don't go backwards. WhatEVER the consequences. So, I just cut off all the extra cast on stitches, turn around, and start knitting.

Kaity swears there's a reason I can't do this, and the fact that my cast on edge may now be a little tight, being that I've knit into every stitch, instead of two at a time, kind of nags at the back of my mind.... but supreme hack-knitter than I seem to be lately, I will continue on... and have for three rows. I can ignore that little voice for as long as it takes.

That's right, 3-1/2 hours of knitting time = three rows. Three rows I hope do not come back to bite me on the butt later.

I'll be sure to let you know.

I hope my new yarn gets here soon.... and I can figure out how to read THAT pattern correctly.

EDITED TO ADD: Ok - I did it. I frogged it. I started over. I'm going to do it right. This is HUGE. I am proud. I am NOT a hack knitter.

Labels:

23 Comments:

At 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girl, you need to find some froggin' mojo! ROFL

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Lynda said...

Neverrrrrr!

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Jillio said...

whoa. i would like...yeah. avoid that altogether. just counting to 375 would be a problem because i don't think i have enough stitch markers for that.
that's pathetic. i'm almost convinced the only way i'm going to have a shawl of my own is get some other knitter to knit it for me.
and you CUT the yarn? omg. you can cut but not frog?! omg. i think i need to go drink coffee or something because that is just not registering...!
happy friday, lynda!

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger mrspao said...

Oh no! Hope that you can fix it!

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Oh my heavens. Well, Nancy Bush is known for her "double yarn" caston. And ... I don't want to be encouragine the little voice in your head or anything but I worry that your caston will be quite a bit too tight now. Good luck with it. It's a beautiful scarf that I've been waiting to muster the courage to knit. We know if you can do the caston for the Fair Isle Cardigan then you can do 375 stitches. :)

 
At 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am laughing so HARD right now! I'm loving the Spongebob cussing there too. ha!

You poor thing Lynda.


Here's hoping the mailman brings a speedy delivery!

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I hope your new project arrives today so you can set aside the 3 row nightmare and start fresh. Maybe when it comes time to pick it up again, you'll be willing to rip it. Boy I wish you had the camera handy though. Picturing the tangled cat mess..

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Okay, I'm one for "ignoring" little mistakes too - but I have to admit it. I think you should stop now and start again. I know you're going to ignore me, but I had to say it anyway. :) That scarf is a lot of work and would be really beautiful, but that tight cast on edge may very well ruin it. Wouldn't to be a shame to waste all your time and yarn?

Lecture over. And no, I won't be offended if you ignore me!! :)

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

Oh, I hate when I work on something a long time then have to frog it or whatever!!!!

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Lynne said...

It's why we love knitting so much.

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger Jillio said...

btw, i noticed your little ticker thingy moving right along. :)
congrats! i was wondering if it was just a coincidence that you were getting a lot of butt comments on your green gable post... go you! and good luck on the restart.

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

All I can say is... I'm glad it's not just me! lol

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

Ene is so wonderful. I'm glad you're doing it right.

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger Marion said...

Welcome to the dark side! :)

 
At 5:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you for frogging it...Way to go. I bet that was the hardest thing you've done.
This is why I'm still on plastic kneedles and acrylic. :)
Thanks for the laughs tonight.

 
At 6:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH NO! You frogged it? Oh my garwsh, I can't believe you did that. I'm sure it would have turned out PERFECTLY lovely!

(heh heh...remember in Jr. High, when I used to tease you and make you insane? I'm baaaaaaaack!)

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Lynda said...

Hmmmm - who is this anonymous person???

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger AsKatKnits said...

Oh Lynda! You frogged???? Do I need to call 911? Is there a prayer I should say? Do you have another life line you can call for help?

....standing quietly cheering you on!

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Good for you! Consider the first start as "practice to get it right" ... it'll then be beautiful!!

 
At 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BRAVO for frogging!! You are right - you are NOT a hack knitter! You've put a lot of us to shame with some of the projects you've completed lately. Frogging is the reason a pencil has an eraser, quilters use a seam ripper, golfers get a mulligan and there is an UNDO button on the computer - NO ONE IS PERFECT!!

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger Jeanie said...

Oh thank God Lynda! You were starting to really scare me there!!! Good girl for frogging. You've been lucky so far with your "pulled-from-the-flame" knitting, but I really don't think you'd have pulled it off this time. Kaity, please stay on your mom to frog when necessary!!!

 
At 5:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It won't turn out well if you don't start over at least once.

 
At 6:49 AM, Blogger Mamma said...

I'm so proud of you for frogging. May the mailman reward you with new yarn today.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home