Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Dam*ed If I Know


Before my grandparents died, they did a lot of world travel. My Grandpa would always take slides instead of pictures, and we'd all gather at my parent's house to watch the slide show and hear about their trip. One trip was especially memorable, and funny, because they had lost Grandma's luggage somewhere (ok, so now I know that really isn't funny...), and in almost every picture Grandma was in the same purple shirt. Grandma in front of the Taj Mahal, in the purple shirt.... Grandma in front of the pyramids of Giza, in the purple shirt... and our all-time favorite - Grandma on a camel, in the purple shirt. We were just cracking up at the end of the slide show, yelling out "there's Grandma in her purple shirt!" Come to think of it, I'm not sure Grandma was as amused. When we cleaned out their house after Grandpa died we came across that picture of Grandma on the camel.... we laughed and cried, and everyone wanted the picture! A family classic.

Another fond memory of their slide shows was that they went so many places, and took so many pictures, and didn't take any notes... that half the time they didn't remember what the pictures were of. "Hey Grandpa, where's that castle?" "Damned if I know...", he'd say. "That's a pretty lake, where is that?" "Damned if I know..." We also laughed a lot about that. It's one of those phrases we fondly recite whenever applicable.. and laugh, and remember Grandma and Grandpa, and Grandma in her purple shirt on a camel!

So, I'm thinking of using one of Grandma's buttons for the closure on my Sitcom Chic. (See Sept. 26 post for "Grandma's buttons"). Those are the likely candidates pictured above..... and I'm asking for opinions. The ones on the top are some kind of shell or abalone. The brown one on the bottom right you can't really see well, but it has an art deco-kind of bow in the center. The toggle button on the bottom left is wood. Which would you pick?

I'm gonna do a one-button closure like on the picture below. I need help deciding.

Which button do I like best? Damned if I know.

12 Comments:

At 5:09 PM, Blogger Dusa said...

I vote for the little flower. Since it will be the focal point and only adornment on the sweater, it should be cute and distinctive.

Hope you love your Sitcom as much as I love mine!

 
At 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the flower

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger LC in Sunny So Cal said...

Me three...I like the flower!

I will never EVER forget our trip with your Grandpa and Dave. Talk about a pair to draw to! You haven't lived till you've dined with Mr. M. in the Palace of the Vestal Virgins. Haw!

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger amylovie said...

I'm on the bandwagon with the flower.

Your grandparents sound like a hoot.

Amy

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger chris said...

Looks like I'm clearly in the minority here, but I like the wood toggle button. I like the flower, too, though- it'd be very cute. Love the story about your grandparents- what fun and precious memories!

 
At 7:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lynda, what great stories! Thanks for sharing both the purple shirt AND the "damned if I know" stories all in one post!

About the buttons... I love the flower button too, but I'm wondering if it might be just a bit too small. I'm thinking that the big brown one on the right might look better (proportionally) and also offer some nice contrast. Otherwise, I'm with the others on the flower button.

 
At 7:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Candsmo - my first choice was the toggle too,.... we'll have to see if i succumb to "peer pressure!"

 
At 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gina - actually, that's some of the knitting on the sleeve the buttons are sitting on - it's just a cream color. See, I'm like you... I kind of like the all the buttons too! Can't decide...

 
At 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I choose the sqare one.

What a cute story. I'm sure my future grandchildren will be laughing at me in my everday yoga pants.

Hey, did you do something different to your hair? It looks great! Great sweater, too.

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Katie said...

I like the flower one, or the square one. Both are cool!

 
At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hee Hee, Ariane - that picture is the one on Knitty.com of Bonne Marie, the designer, in her sweater. I WISH my hair was that under control! I have what my family calls "industrial strength" curls - basically out of control!

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Donna Boucher said...

Oh Lynda,
Your purple shirt story is priceless...and the fact that your grandparents didn't know where anything was!!! Sounds like a sitcom....perfect for your sitcom chic sweater ;o)

I like the toggle cause it is most like what Bonnie Marie used and I am a big copy cat!

Donna

 

Post a Comment

<< Home