Friday, October 07, 2005

Black Boogers of Death

That's what you get with our current weather - according to my youngest daughter (ladylike and eloquent, don't you think?).

Fall weather around here = nasty East Winds and brush fires. I have to agree with my daughter. I HATE this weather! For those of you not in So. Calif, East winds are hot, very dry, strong winds that just blow all day and suck the moisture out of everything in sight.... nasty. It's about 90 degrees, humidity about zero. We happen to live in the "Y" of two canyons, so we get particularly gusty winds - 60 to 80 MPH, the kind that blow the patio furniture all over the back yard. A few years ago one gust blew over our glass table and busted it all over the patio - so now we weight everything down with sand bags! I'm always afraid a branch or the neighbor's errant patio umbrella, or something's going to go flying through a window. I tell you, keep your small pets inside if you don't want to see them fly across the yard! These go on for about a week at a time, on and off through September and October. Even if you don't suffer from allergies - there's so much junk flying through the air everyone's head is stuffed up - not to mention the dry eyes and skin. Crispy, I tell ya - ick. Black Boogers of Death. She's right.

The point of this story... I fall (pun intended?) for the whole romantic "Fall Weather" myth - every year! I hear "Fall" and see all the magazine covers with skinny girls in all their coordinated lightweight jackets and sweaters, and I think crisp cool days - you know, my beloved sweater weather. But no, we don't get that kind of autumn here, we get hot and windy. The same, now very boring, short and, sandals you wore all summer, and ponytails to try and keep your hair out of your face in the wind. And, every year I block it out, then remember we can't have the cool, nice sweater-weather until we go through the East Winds.....

Waa, Waa, Waaaa. Okay, sorry, I've whined on long enough.... are you still with me?

So, back when I was romanticizing Fall Weather... I started these:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Yes - if you look at the thermometer in the background, it's 90 degrees in the shade (sorry, couldn't help it).

These fingerless gloves are pretty, and really soft. Blue Sky Alpaca, 100% Alpaca, sport weight, Kool-Aid dyed by Kaity and myself. I can't wait to wear them. Those baby alpacas have got to be the softest animals on the planet. I bet even cashmere goats and angora bunnies want to be them! I'm thinking they'll be great with my cranberry-colored suede jacket, and jeans of course. Always jeans.

Come on cooler weather..... I'm sooooo ready. Hey, where do those cute, soft little alpacas live? Maybe I'll move there!

8 Comments:

At 12:18 PM, Blogger amylovie said...

We have the same weather in Houston, but it is hot and humid instead.

Your wrist warmers are so cute! Come on Fall! Stefanie and I are ready for you NOW!!

Amy

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger Ruth said...

i love your wrist warmers - your nails look really cute too. time for me to do my nails too - i can finally do dark fall colors now, now that it's october =)

 
At 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, come on Ruth. Considering all the great FAR AWAWY places you've been lately, this would be a short trip!

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Marion said...

East winds? Are those the like Santa Ana winds? 'Cause that's what we call the early autumn winds here. Or maybe they're different winds.
But either way, I want fall too.

 
At 3:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup - Santa Ana's, same thing. For some reason I grew up calling them East winds..... ?

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Ruth said...

lynda - actually you're right. so cal isn't THAT far away... hehe. but the only times i venture down there is if i have a wedding down there (husband's old UCLA buddies). the times that we do go down, we don't even bother flying, we drive (what's a measley 5 hours?)! road trip! =D

 
At 9:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girl, you had me laughing again...wait...okay, the cat is still in the backyarn...oops, backyard;o), safe and sound.

I just told my mom yesterday, that I'd much rather be in 100 degree humid weather than being in weather thats windy and dry. I hate the fact that I have to keep lubing-up the arms and legs with lotion! Yuck!

Ahhh, my patio unbrella just flew across the yard...I'm not kidding either. Better go make sure the table is still intact (the winds broke my moms last season).

 
At 9:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, forgot to mention how cute your fingerless stitches look and how great your ella is coming along.

Cannot wait to meet up soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home