Monday, October 10, 2005

Designer help?

Here's a project for ya'll. I found this in a fashion magazine, and want to make it, real bad. Sorry for the blurry image, but you get the idea. I'm pretty sure I can figure out something for the cables, but need a basic pattern. Have you seen anything close? I was thinking I could tweak Bonne Marie's Cutaway, by lenthening it and thereby making the button stance a little lower. If I increased the ribbing around the neck I could make a collar, right?

I'm in no hurry, I've got a couple of other projects in line... but I really love this. The original in the magazine is cashmere blend, and $415! I could screw up a lot of cashmere yarn trying to figure this out and never get near $415!

I know some of you who have more experience than I can either point me in the right direction, or tell me I'm just fooling myself, thereby saving me a lot of frustration. I'd appreciate any help/ideas you all might have!

7 Comments:

At 12:17 PM, Blogger amylovie said...

Oooh...purty!

What about Blackberry from the current issue of Knitty? It is a bulkier yarn, but the idea is the same.

Amy

 
At 1:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I eyed that up. In-style, right? I too was thinking that the Chic Knits Cutaway would be good template. Just note that adding all over cables will change your gauge. And I agree, if you continue knitting the ribbing around the collar, you will get excess to fold over.

 
At 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good eye, Kristina! That was In-Style, my favorite mag... glad to here I may be on the right track, too.

 
At 9:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with the others Lynda -- My first thought was the Chic Knits Cut Away Sweater! You can do it! And think of all the extra yarn you can buy with all the money you saved by making this sweater instead of buying it!!!

 
At 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check out the designs at "White Lies Designs"...they are very similar, and I love most all their stuff!!

 
At 1:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog! I also think Cutaway might work, but I second the idea of White Lies Designs. I know I have seen something very similar in one of their ads in a knitting mag.

By the way, loved your Marilyn Shrunken Cardigan!

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Noey D. said...

There is something similiar, but not as fitted, in the latest Family Circle Easy Knitting. Project #3, page 36.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home