Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Seemed Like a Good Idea At The Time


Why do we talk ourselves into things we really don't need. Like on our trip to Europe, BK (before kids), when I was actually six months pregnant with our first, and we not only bought cross country skis in Germany, but ordered a custom-built tandem bicycle in England. You know, we had such lofty ambitions, you know, the "have it all" myth - kids weren't really going to change things that much. We'll still do all those things we've always done....

Well, as you can guess, I've been on the skis once, and the tandem twice..... We ended up with three kids in 3-1/2 years, and I got REALLY busy! It's been GREAT, but like everyone before they have kids - we really didn't have a clue how things were going to change! And, even though the changes are all for the better and I wouldn't change a thing, the tandem and skis are still in the rafters - now waiting for a time "after kids." (is there a such thing?).

Well, I was also sure I needed a poncho. Hmmm. It probably falls into the "if you wore it the first time the fashion came around, you probably shouldn't wear it the 2nd time" category.

I had a great poncho once, when I was in grade school. My mom knit it for me, and I loved it. It was out of a blue, kind of homespun chunky yarn with black flecks. I felt very "groovy" wearing it. Then some mean chick named Josefina stole it. She actually had the nerve to wear it to school and flaunt it in front of me. She was so mean and I was sooo afraid of her, for awhile I just told my mom I lost it. I never got it back - mainly because I was afraid to confront the "mean girl."

So this one - it's okay.... I just feel like a dork every time I wear it. Maybe I'm too old for it, may I'm not the "poncho type" anymore, maybe it's fine.... I just feel very self conscious everytime I put it on. But, after all the work I put into it, I keep talking myself into trying it on "one more time." This was my first BIG project after scarves, my first time using a pattern.

Believe, me, Kaity had to talk me through every step - getting me out of all my mistakes. I even woke her up once late at night because I finally had some "knitting time," but ended up with some kind of mistake I couldn't figure out. I was just settling down to an hour or two of "me time," TV and knitting after a long day, all excited about my new-found love of knitting, and right away, there's a mistake and I can't go on.... I sneak upstairs into her room, with a flashlight no less, and nudge her.... "Kaity, are you awake?" She's such a good sport! She woke up, fixed my mistake by flashlight, and I was able to go back downstairs and make some good progress.

I mean really - I HAD to wake her up, I really needed to knit! What do people who don't have their own knitting coaches in-house do? I'd never get anything finished!

Too bad she says she's not the "poncho type." I'd give it to her!

5 Comments:

At 3:03 PM, Blogger Allison said...

Hi Lynda, thanks for your post and the compliments on my scarf! The joy of being a full time yarn seller is that I get to make 'samples' for photography :) I like your poncho, and wearing with shorts is oh-so-so-cal.

 
At 5:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lynda!!!! I LIKE your poncho! Really, I do! I think you look great in it (in both pics) and I'm not just saying that. I'm not sure why you don't like it, but I think it's very becoming! Honest!

 
At 3:50 AM, Blogger amylovie said...

I think you look great in it Lynda. Wear it with pride!

 
At 6:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lynda...you are SO the poncho type! It looks great on you!

 
At 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you like it, wear it. That's what makes it great.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home