Monday, October 24, 2005

We Are Odd


Dinnertime at our house is a dining experience. Now, I didn't necessarily say a pleasant dining experience - but an experience nonetheless. The kid's friends come over, and we try to be on our best behavior - but my hubby is the biggest kid and has a bizarre sense of humor... so things usually deteriorate into.... people laughing and me just hoping food isn't spit. Friends always say, "your family is so fun!" Fun....? You mean there are people who sit quietly and politely with their napkins in their lap? Their husbands don't start a fry fight.... everyone throwing them at me, of course. How do you stop that when the guy in charge is leading the fight? I sit there and say to myself, "this isn't the family I pictured when we started..... that family was much better behaved." Oh, who am I kidding, they were probably boring.

Tonight we were discussing how the hubby came home with about 40 pairs of tube socks he bought from some guy out of the back of his truck. Black market tube sock guy.... and, where exactly is the black market?

Then, Kaity was doing her sweet dance moves from Napoleon Dynamite when she thought no one was looking. That gets the ones who actually catch a peek snorting and laughing. Then the rest of the meal is spent shooting back and forth lines from the movie. I've lost all control, again. Snorting at the dinner table... how rude, how common - how everyday around here. Usually they're all ganging up and laughing at me. "Ha, - mom, she thinks she's so cool..., she can't even get the line right"

Then daughter #2 was refusing to do the dishes. I told Kaity she could at least take out the trash and recycling to help, but she said she wasn't answering to Kaity anymore and only if we guessed her name, would she comply. The hubby, says "I'll guess your name... it's "I'll kick your butt if you don't take out the trash." No? Okay, how about "Lucky #6?" Where did that come from???? Lucky #6? The worst part is, that name will probably stick - like the time he named the poor kid across the street Justin Nick Time.... get it... Justin Nick Time -"Get it?" he kept saying.... "wouldn't that be a cool name?" The hubby just kept saying it, over and over... "get it, get it?" The kicker - the kid's real name was Justin Case...... now, that's just as bad but, poor kid, to this day he's Justin Nick Time around here.

Anyhooo..... this in no way has anything to do with knitting... except to say that me and Lucky #6 will be knitting like the wind tonight to get our projects done in time for our Disneyland trip Wednesday. I'm trying to finish Sitcom Chic - it'll be down to the wire on that one. As you can see from the picture, I got both LONG sleeves attached and am about to start the eyelet detail in the yoke - then I should be home free.

And, Lucky #6, she's knitting something for her sister (the one in the kitchen right now, doing the dishes loudly, so we all know how much she's suffering). Lucky #6 - she'll probably finish hers tonight.... she's lucky like that...

8 Comments:

At 7:36 PM, Blogger amylovie said...

I love hearing your family storis. It sounds like there is a lot of love in your house, even if #6 is pouting.

Amy

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger chris said...

Disneyland?! I'm so envious!! You'll finish sitcom chic in time- I'm keeping the faith. :-) Just when I think it's an animal house around my home with two toddlers, your story reminds me that a whole new kind of Animal House awaits me when they become teens. Great story!

 
At 12:15 AM, Blogger Ruth said...

haha! you guys are so funny! and i love the napoleon dynamite bit too - my hubby and i try SO hard to imitate talking like that, and we end up doubling up with laughter all the time (and people think WE'RE weird) =D
p.s. you guys are going to disneyland in the middle of the week?? no fair!!

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger LC in Sunny So Cal said...

Too funny....and I have no sympathy for ya, you picked the "Fry Thrower"!!

signed: LinnerMaynner

(or whatever it was he used to call me!)

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger Lynda said...

yep - LinnerMayner - to this day!

 
At 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww, the dish day's, how I remeber them as if it where just yesterday!

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Marion said...

Sounds like your family is lots of fun, even if they're a bit odd. My family's the same way. It's fun, isn't it?

 
At 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go mom, go. You can finish the sweater by disneyland! And how dare you tell others about my secret life, practicing my D-Qwon's dance grooves. Lol.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home