Wednesday, December 14, 2005

And They're Off!


I mailed off my "Holiday Sox Exchange" socks today. I hope the recipient likes them. I was very happy with them. These are the nicest (read, no mistakes) socks I've made yet!

Love that Sock Garden yarn. This colorway is Pansy. I made not-quite-"shortie" socks, and these only took one skein - minus the 3-1/2 feet of yarn you see left at the top of the page. Couldn't have called that much closer! I do have another skein I could have broken into, but now that means socks for me too! Score!

I haven't ventured into fancy sock knitting yet, and didn't feel a project with a deadline was the time to do it, or learn something new, but I'm thinking my next socks will be the Jaywalker socks everyone is making. A little fancy, but still simple enough for trying something new. Cast On!

And, hello, how totally fabu do these previous Sock Garden (geranium) socks look with my Ugg clogs??? I know - what an oxymoron, Ugg clogs. Uggs..., warm, ooooh so comfy, you're not supposed to wear them with socks - but the clog factor messes with the warm factor.... my heel is hanging out in the cold if I go no-socks. I spend far too much time thinking about this every time I put them on (yeah, like I'm such a fashion plate!). But, I'm going with the socks - they're just too perfect a match.

I'll leave you with picture of Peanut enjoying the holiday (oh, she looks sweet enough in this pic, in between bouts of eating and yaking up pine needles from the Christmas tree... argh), and another of my favorite Christmas memories. When I was a kid, my sister, Christmashead, and I had bunk beds. I had the top. On Christmas Eve my parents would let my sister sleep up there with me. We'd anxiously and so excitedly try to fall asleep quickly, before Santa passed us over because we were still awake.

My grandparents (the grandma on the camel grandparents) always joined us for Christmas morning, stockings, and presents. They loved Christmas morning. I remember we were supposed to wait for them before we "started" Christmas. But, it never failed.... I don't care how early we woke up, Grandma and Grandpa would be sitting out there in the driveway in the Cadillac, in the cold, in the dark, waiting for us to wake up. Every Christmas..... first thing, look outside to see if grandma and grandpa were there yet.... they always were. They were great.

Wishing you fond remembrances of all your family holidays.

8 Comments:

At 11:50 AM, Blogger Ruth said...

your socks look good! and your clogs are cute!

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger chris said...

Your Pansy socks look fantastic! And whew, that was cutting it close with 1 yard left, but I love that feeling of juuuuust making it. ;-) And socks for yourself, too, bonus! You're looking very fabu in your socks and Ugg clogs. ;-) I love the pic of Peanut. My cat would always yak up pine needles, too; nice little puddles all around the house, letting me know it's Christmas time, ha! Such a great memory of your grandparents. As excited as you and your sister were, I bet your grandparents were even more excited to see the looks on your faces on Christmas morning. As a mom now, I know that's my very favorite-st part of Christmas, anticipating the joy on the kids' faces when they wake up to find that Santa's come. :-)

 
At 6:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're socks are great! I love that you only used one skein.

Your grandparents were cool. I wonder what time they actually pulled in your driveway?

Your cat cracks me up with the tree-needle binges. We got a fake tree for that same reason, but the dumb feline eats that too.

 
At 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so cool about your grand parents. What an awesome memory!!!

Your socks look great -- love the clogs!

Aren't sisters the best? I spent most of the day with mine today -- her turn to have the breast biopsy done. Please keep her in your prayers.

 
At 4:34 AM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

Looks like there are going to be some lucky toes somewhere. I loved reading about all your Christmas memories.

 
At 4:38 AM, Blogger amylovie said...

If you were anything like my brothers and myself, you grandparents had to show up before the sun came up. We would always wake my parents up around 4:30. I'm sure the same is going to happen to me with my girls too.

You socks turned out great. I'm glad you a getting a pair too.

Amy

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Those Sock Garden socks look great! And I never knew there were Ugg clogs... hmm... must google...

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger Laura said...

I am just catching up on my blog reading...I love your socks! And your Ugg clogs -- too cute. Your neurosurgeon/breast pump story was great too, BTW.

Also, I must say that I made a little gasp when I saw your Peanut, because she looks EXACTLY like a cat I used to have. Mine was named Billie, and she was rather fatter than your Peanut, but otherwise looked just like her. I had her for 10 years, but we had to give her away when my older son started walking. She would lash out at him (scratching) with no provocation at all. I didn't think it was right to declaw her, especially at that age. :( I miss her sometimes -- she was a sweetie, before I had kids!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home