Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Let The Holiday Traditions Begin!!

We have a LOT of holiday traditions, and they start with Thanksgiving. We are traveling to our family vacation home (not NEARLY as ritzy as it sounds, but fun) to meet up with my sister's family, my brother, and my parents. We have been spending Thanksgiving there for about five years now. My dad BBQ's a turkey, and my hubby cooks one in the outside "pit" - and they are both delicious. Our girls are old enough to help in the kitchen with making pies, and all the other preparations. Kaity actually LOVES to peel potatoes. It's all just great fun. I am blessed with a great family.

Another great Thanksgiving tradition is when my husband so eloquently announces "everyone with hangy-down parts in the kitchen!" - the boys do the dishes Thanksgiving night! Yep - we're a class act, my family.

Our newest tradition is Thanksgiving weekend "spa night." We save a cucumber and get it cold in the fridge and cut slices for our eyes, and lay around the TINY living room, all the girls with cukes on their eyes, my youngest niece giving hand massages, and we even get my dad in on the action, cutting fresh slices and keeping 'em coming. Man, I can't wait.

We play all the board games, read, hang out by the fire pit at night, and KNIT! We knit while the boys go off into the cold, riding mini bikes or target shooting in the desert, or whatever else they find to do. This year we're gonna teach my sister to knit. I met up with her today at my not-so-local yarn store and we picked out some yarn for her to start a scarf. While I was there I bought some Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino to make my Branching Out scarf. I thought I'd better save my lace weight until I know what I'm doing. Besides, there is so much of that stuff I have enough for a shawl, which is what I'd really like to save it for. This Debbie Bliss stuff is nice and soft!! I also picked up some Baby Alpaca, bulky weight, in black for D#2, who is gonna give knitting another try and wanted something "super soft." Yah - those baby alpacas are the softest!

Here's my knitting getting ready to be packed for the trip. Get me - three projects! I plan on finishing my Wendy/Heather Essential Stripe tub sweater, and I HAVE to get some work done on my "secret Christmas project," and I thought I might work on my Branching Out scarf. Three projects - what am I thinking!

Also packed will be all our Christmas music for the ride home (actually, I loaded it all on my iPod today). Our rule is no Christmas music or movies until the day after Thanksgiving. So, for the entire 4-hour ride home, Christmas music will be blasting in the VW Beetle. Everything from Il Divo's new Christmas album to Brian Setzer's swing Christmas, along with the classics, you know, Burl Ives, Perry Como, etc. We have a LOT of Christmas music - more than enough to fill a 4-hour trip.

So, this will be my last post for a few days. Hopefully I'll have some knitting to show you when I get back. I pray you all have a blessed and wonderful Thanksgiving with your families!

17 Comments:

At 7:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a happy Thanksgiving. You are right to save the yarn for a shawl. Happy knitting too.

 
At 7:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a happy holiday! Gobble gobble!

Love that Brian Setzer disc, it's my favorite!

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Kaity said...

Gah I'm too excited!!!!!

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger Ruth said...

have a wonderful and thankful holiday!!!! =)

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger chris said...

Sounds like so much fun!! I love how close-knit your family is- so wonderful to see in this day and age. Happy Thanksgiving to all of you! :-)

 
At 3:26 AM, Blogger amylovie said...

Stories about your family always bring a smile to my face.

Happy Holidays,
Amy

 
At 3:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like your family has Thanksgiving under control Lynda. Our Thanksgiving was last month up here in the Great White North. Your sweater is coming along beautifully!

 
At 6:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

 
At 7:25 AM, Blogger Liz said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Have a wonderful time with your family!

 
At 7:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving and 'travelling mercies' from Marsha!!

 
At 7:40 AM, Blogger Sonya said...

Sounds like you're going to have a great time! Happy Thanksgiving!

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger LC in Sunny So Cal said...

Oooh, you're dragging Barb to the "dark side"??...cool!

Have a great time, and get lots of knitting done! Safe travels..

 
At 8:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a double dare, kiddo. No spa nite photos, like the one with a big bite out of the cuke disk?

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger Lynda said...

Don't worry Mom, I plan on getting some good pics this weekend, including spa nite!

 
At 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

After nursing my baby for a year, it's not just the guys that have hangy-down parts in our family!

Have a great Christmas! Can't wait to see your Essential Stripe...I'm loving it so far!

 
At 4:43 AM, Blogger SAM said...

What a wonderful Thanksgiving tradition. My family is made up of broken families so we can't do these things so easily.

You pack all that in a VW Beetle? I am impressed. As a fellow Beetle driver (2000 Vapor Turbo) I can pack lots of stuff but not many people in my little car.

May you all have a safe and blessed Thanksgiving.

 
At 3:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A VW Beetle??? Holy Cow! Happy Thanksgiving Lynda! May it be a tradition-full weekend for you and yours!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home