Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Bath Therapy

When my sister was little, if she told a lie her conscience always got the better of her and she would end up spilling her guts. She would cry and cry, "I told a lie..., and now no one believes me, and no one likes me......." She'd just sit in our room and spill her guts and cry, and cry. Then, she'd come out of our room and announce, "I think I'll have my nice warm bath now." Mom would draw her a nice warm bath, sis would soak, and when she emerged it was "all better."

A few years ago, during the winter I instituted "Tuesday Bath Night." Tuesday just ended up being a night that was the easiest to steal a few minutes a way, for some reason. I take my glass of wine and my InStyle magazine, light my candles and pour in my favorite Philosophy Amazing Grace bath bubbles.... and it's my time. They all know it - my time.

A friend of mine was selling candles for a candle party and I mentioned I needed some new ones for "Tuesday Bath Night," and she gave me the oddest look - like I only bathed once a week. I explained that, no, really, I showered every day... but Tuesday was "bath night." My time.

It's not the same in the summer - too hot... not the same... but now we're getting into "bath weather," but we had people over last night so I missed it. BUT, today it's cold, and raining.... and perfect. Get the wine. Get the candles. Too bad I can't knit in the tub... now that would be perfect. I'll just stick with my soggy InStyle magazine.

Did you really want to know all that? Sorry. Too late now. But, see that pretty yarn there by the tub? I ventured out in the rain today to my not-so-local yarn store and picked me up some pretty purple Cascade 220 to finish my Wendy/Heather Essential Stripe sweater. Oooh, I can't wait to get some knitting done tonight. Gotta finish work first, and my chores - oh yeah, and the hubby's laundry... but I will get some knitting done. Hopefully I'll have some progress pictures tomorrow for you.

I think I'll have my nice warm bath now.

11 Comments:

At 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy bath night Lynda!!! Beautiful colors on that sweater too!

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Marion said...

What a cool tradition! And what cool yarn! Your Essential Stripe sweater is going to be so pretty.

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Oh but you can have bath night and knit at the same time. Wendy even has pictures to prove it!

enjoy the luxurious bubble bath. Sounds good to me too. especially with the rain...

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger chris said...

That Cascade 220 is beautiful! Can't wait to see the progress pics. Tuesday Bath Night sounds heavenly. My mom is really into that Philosophy line, too. She calls me everytime they sell it on QVC. :-) I don't think she knows about the bath bubbles, though...maybe I ought to clue her in. Have a wonderful bath and let me know if Nick and Jess are really over. ;-)

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger Lynda said...

I am SO not as crafty as Wendy to pull that off.... and, I'm not sure she had real water in the tub for those pictures!!! Too risky for me. You know ,the smell of wet wool and all.

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger jennifer said...

i so loooooove the color! purple is so calming... perfect for tub-knitting-zen, enjoy!

 
At 12:53 AM, Blogger Ruth said...

your sister sounds alot like me when i was little. i still have trouble lying (with a straight face). i'm terrible at poker; my face expresses EVERYTHING. =P
oh by the way, i used the exact same yarn for my felted bag! cascade 220, that exact shade. this was the one i was supposed to felt after i finished posting my last post, but i still haven't gotten to it yet. tommorrow morning, i promise!! =P

 
At 4:40 AM, Blogger SAM said...

I LOVE your blog, Lynda. I just found it through a link on Amylovie's blog. I all the current posts and decided to just make one comment so I don't wear out my welcome. Baths are very special, but I never thought of making it a weekly ritual. I live in Texas, and while it does get hot here my husband keeps the air conditioning set so low it feels like winter inside the house in the middle of July. Great for a long soak. I love the colors on your sweater. Cascade 220 is great yarn. Thanks for the smiles this morning...I'll be back.

 
At 6:17 AM, Blogger Bear Knits said...

Sounds like a nice ritual! I can't wait to see your Essential Stripe Sweater. I bet those colors are going to look so pretty.

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger amylovie said...

When I need a little comfort, I hit the tub. The only problem is my rug rats always decide that it is imperative that they talk to me at that moment.

Amy

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger HibiscuitsGirl said...

I used to do the same thing! Once a night was special bath night, and I would do candles and InStyle too! Too busy to do that anymore...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home