Friday, October 28, 2005

Socktober-failure

Okay - remember how I said I was a "one project at a time" kind of person - can't have more than one thing going at once? Well, going against my better judgment and having two projects going at once has come back to bite me in the butt.

I come from a looooong line of "unfinished projecters"... my mom always has lots of things going, my Dad and brother are even worse, because they don't finish stuff most of the time.... but they fully intend to, "some day." I didn't get that, though.... more than one project going at once makes me twitch.

Maybe it's a "crafty people" thing. Like I've said before... I don't think outside the box well, I don't have the "muse," - I don't have a lot of original ideas. I'm a copier. I'm not the "crafty" type.

Now, Kaity, she takes after my mom - supercrafty... and Kaity also has about a million knitting projects going. It makes me crazy - everytime I see her she's casted on for something else. "But... But..., you haven't finished....." She just gives me the "pshhh, I'll finish it." Oh man - I can hardly stand it. It makes me uneasy, I tell ya. Like looking at some of your blogs with the big "on the needles" or "WIP" lists.... with alllllll those unfinished projects - it makes me twitch, and they aren't even MY projects!

Ok, let's face it, I'm probably just jealous.

So, I figured, if I'm going to try and be crafty I oughta lighten up and at least get socks going on the side. Oy.... remember my blue cabled socks I was "making up the pattern" for? Well, I started them about three months ago, back before I was a knitting polygamist, fully intending to work on them uniterrupted until they were both finished, so I wasn't writing anything down.... then I got sidetracked and seduced by my Marilyn's Not-So-Shruken cardigan, and Ella, and my Sitcom Chic and, you guessed it, when I picked up the socks last night I couldn't figure out what I was doing.

I tried to figure out the stitch counts - and what would have made the most "sense," and which way the cables fell, front or back.... needless to say... I ended up with a mess, then tried to unknit and got a big knot where the cable was supposd to be - so I gave up and ripped the whole thing out, wound up the yarn, put it back in the cupboard and got out my Sock Garden yarn in that pretty geranium color.

Knitting polygamy - I KNEW it sounded like a bad idea... of course, you know what they say, once you've tried it, you'll never go back. Maybe I can still pull off socks on the side, we'll see. But, I guess I'd better at least learn to write things down, or quit trying to make up my own patterns and go back to basics. I mean, I haven't even been knitting a year - who did I think I was fooling? But, I'm also a glutton for punishment, and I'm determined to make that blue yarn into cabled socks, or maybe some EASY lace design.... later though, after I've practiced my basics a little more.

Oh - and see that nice "ladder" between my needles... yep, I think I need to work on my basics some more... or knit them on two circulars. At this rate I am SO going to be kicked out of Socktoberfest - I hope Lolly isn't looking!

11 Comments:

At 2:48 PM, Blogger LC in Sunny So Cal said...

Heh, heh, heh...welcome to the 'Dark Side'. Here, my pretty...don't you want to cast on some Fuzzy Feet toooooo????

(runnin' and duckin')..

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger chris said...

Polygamy, though enticing, is never a good idea. It only leads to trails of frogged yarn (or STD's ;-)) in its wake, as I have come to learn (about the frogged yarn. NOT the STD's!). That Geranium's going to make some pretty socks once you stop the polygamy madness.

Looks like you all had a blast in Disneyland!! Can't wait to take the kids there, too...someday! :-)

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger amylovie said...

Thank you so much for visiting my mother's blog. She is so astonished and tickled that you can make connections with people across the country (and world).

You and I are so much alike. I can handle only one project at a time. In a pinch, maybe two. I'm a technical knitter, not a creative one.

Amy

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Lynda said...

Thanks girls - it's reassuring to know I'm not some kind of knit-freak, being a one-project girl!

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Donna Boucher said...

I feel your pain!

I just had a mitten disaster...after I bragged at the warm hands knit-a-long how much I love to knit mittens.

I do better with one project at a time and I am a copier too :o)

I think we are long lost twins, Lynda.

Love the new sock yarn!
Donna

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Ruth said...

knitting polygamy... haha... that's an excellent way to put it. i was trying to be a one-project kinda gal too, but it absolutely NEVER worked. so i've come up with my own comfortable pace: one challenging project side-by-side with a smaller easier one. i've got my lacy stole next to a pair of socks. once i'm done with the socks, i'll probably do a fun scarf (takes the ease off of all that mohair knitting on the stole!) and i am INFAMOUS for never finishing anything - my hubby keeps reminding me of some of those projects i haven't touched (see the last three items on my WIP list - notice that they haven't changed in the last, oh, SIX MONTHS?!) i know, i know, terrible. =)

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Oh! I LOVE the geranium sock yarn! That's going to make some lovely socks.

 
At 6:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Lynda! Okay I'm probably going to get stoned here (with rocks, not with drugs) but I'm all for knitting polygamy! For me, variety is the spice of life! And I'm afraid if it weren't for my little "flings on the side" I'd probably get so bored with my knitting and quit all together. Oh well. So don't worry about the polygamy and just start writing your patterns down.

I love your Geranium socks though, ladders and all!

 
At 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Lyn, there's something worse out there. You know how Dad and I had the junk stores. I found some old sock patterns from the 40's and in the bundle was a pattern for making mittens.....lined mittens, by starting at the fingertips with a turkish cast one (???) and kniting the thing twice at the same time. I had nightmares over that one!

 
At 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you join your cast-on stitches to knit your first round, if you will put the first stitch of the left needle onto the right needle and vice versa, then give your cast-on tail and yarn now coming from your skein a little twist it should eliminate this problem. You might have to tighten up the cast-on tail the first couple of rounds but after that it is smooth sailing. Works for me!

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Jillio said...

man, i hear yah on that one! sock block is my excuse :( but i've got a pair past the heels, so if i finish today, i won't be a totally lost cause...right?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home