Monday, December 12, 2005

Sisters


When we were growing up, my sister (aka Christmashead) and I shared a room. My sister is five years younger than I am. That's nothing now... but back when I was, say 8 and she was 3, she was just a pest. Now, she's my best friend, but then.... more of a pesky little sister.

My brother and I used to pick on her, so badly! My brother is only a year-and-half younger than I am, so we'd gang up on her. We used to all go in our room and listen to Peter and the Wolf on our record player(please say some of you remember the big ol' LP's with the books that came with them). Well, we'd all listen to Peter and the Wolf, and then when the scary "wolf music" came on we'd run out of the room and hold the door shut and leave her in there with the scary music 'til she cried. Man, kids can be mean - did we really do that? yeah... we did :(

She also had a favorite baby doll, Angelique (she named her after the character on Dark Shadows, another blast from the past) - one of the plastic dolls where the arms and legs can "accidentally" be popped off. So, we'd pop them off and hide them.

We were all talking about this a few years ago, and she doesn't even remember any of it! (probably horrible repressed memories...), but she just remembers loving her big brother and sister. We've since apologized to her, even though she doesn't remember it. We should be glad she still speaks to us!

Luckily, she still loves me. I don't deserve her.

Well, remember when Kaity taught Christmashead to knit over Thanksgiving weekend? She brought her beautiful finished scarf to "Monday Night Dinner" tonight so we could teach her to bind off. She's finished! It's so pretty! A very nice green, baby alpaca and soft - it's about a 5" wide garter stitch scarf. She's so happy! She's been working on it like crazy, during conference calls, while waiting for kids, and even knitting in public, on airplanes no less! I'm so proud! We have a new knitting convert. I wish I'd had my camera!

So, tonight Christmashead learned to purl. She wants to make another scarf, to keep practicing, and we decided a 4x4 ribbed scarf would be just the thing to do next. So she can work on her purling. When I left her tonight she was ribbing away- and off to the LYS soon to pick out something soft and purty for her second scarf.

I'm so proud! Like a big sis SHOULD be. Yes, I'm much nicer now, and appreciate her so much more!

That little sweater Christmas ornament is Kaity's this year. I found it while Christmas shopping a few weeks ago. It seemed just perfect for this year! The year she taught me and Christmashead to knit!

9 Comments:

At 3:19 AM, Blogger chris said...

That is the perfect ornament for Kaity! What an amazing gift to have taught both you and your sister to knit this year. Sounds like your sister is catching the fever, too! Your Peter and the Wolf story was so funny in a really mean way. Being the eldest of 4 siblings, I can totally relate...I used to play this song for piano that used to freak my (then) 4 year old brother out, and I'd purposely play it whenever he came near me, just to make him cry. I'm lucky he still loves me, too! :-)

 
At 6:23 AM, Blogger Sonya said...

Yay! Another convert! Soon we knitters will take over the world. I remember the records that came with books. And I was super-mean to my little brother too. Poor kid. My mom used to make me read to him and I'd only read every other word. Oh geez, I wonder if that's why he's not a reader now. I may have scarred him for life. ;o/

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger LC in Sunny So Cal said...

Way to go! I saw her in the school carpool lane yesterday, and told her that once she learned to purl, the world was her "oyster"!! I was knitting a hat on some DPN's and told her that eventually, she'd get around to those too! Think any of us will ever scrap again! Haw!

(btw, I took a class last night at our LYS, and learned to fair isle! Whoo hooo. It was easier than it looks, for sure.)

 
At 7:24 AM, Blogger Chris said...

What a great story. I'm glad she doesn't remember the cruel years. My brother does, and boy, does he give me crap now...

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger ~k said...

I LOVED THAT PETER AND THE WOLF RECORD!

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Katie said...

We had the Peter and the Wolf LP when I was little. It had a boy on the cover, dressed in a red earflap hat and hunting coat, like Elmer Fudd. I loved P & the W so much I bought a CD of it when my son was born!

 
At 6:09 AM, Blogger amylovie said...

I am too ashamed to tell you what my twin brother and I used to do to my little brother, who is two years older than we are. We have some 'splanin' to do when we meet our maker.

The ornament is perfect.

Amy

 
At 7:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

From the sister -- thanks for the sweet post. Are you trying to make me cry again? A couple of updates, though. I DO remember Peter and the Wolf. Scary! But, I've forgiven you both. And, I totally messed up my practice ribbing yesterday when I was trying to knit/purl and talk at the same time. If I can't figure it out I'll be looking for LC in the school parking lot today for help!

 
At 10:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember those records! Do you remember the record players that would shine the pictures on the wall to go with the record? Those were so cool!!! Yeah, I'm old.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home