Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Winter Wonderland


Ok , we don't have a winter wonderland here in Southern California. I was looking at Heather's blog today (check out her cool new hat!) and D#2 says, is that snow??? Cool!

We make our own snow here. We live at the end of a cul-de-sac, and when we first moved in it was a brand new development, and we were the only ones at the end of the cul-de-sac for about nine months. We had the place to ourselves, it was very private, and we never bothered to put curtains in the front windows until we got neighbors.

But, that first Christmas I cut snowflakes with the kids, and put one in every pane of the window (34 panes, 34 snowflakes!). We put on a Christmas movie and cut snowflakes for hours. The kids were little, 4,5 and 7, so theirs were very rudimentary, but they were so special. The window was so beautiful, and we left it like that all winter.

Since then, we have made snowflakes every year. We have since put curtains on the front window, but there is a window in the living room that looks out onto a little side yard, that we have left uncovered, all 32 panes. That's a lot of snowflake cutting. The last few years we have decorated every other pane. It's fun to see the kids get more and more creative with their snowflakes as they get older. We never save them.... always start fresh every year. The old ones are preserved in pictures.

It's still probably my favorite "Christmas decoration." This weekend we'll pick a Christmas movie (maybe Elf - "Buddy the Elf- what's your favorite color?") and cut up a "storm," covering the table and floor with snowflake scraps. I'll post a picture of the window when it's done.

I think you guys are getting to me..... I've really got the itch to start two new projects..., and I've got two on the needles now! The pretty green lace weight is going to be my Snowdrop Shawl (for me, of course), and I'm going to do another Branching Out for my MIL's birthday with the "Stained Glass" lace weight. Tiptoeing over to the dark side, I am.

Ok, I'll finish my socks first, gift those off in the mail.... then I'll work on my Branching Out, start my MIL's, AND start my Snowdrop Shawl. Three projects at once, get me - think I can do it?


Gotta go.... my brain's hurting a little, and I'm feeling a little guilty about the knitting polygamy already, and I haven't even started. Man, I've got knitting issues..... I should just lighten up.

13 Comments:

At 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Thanks for your kind words on my blog. Funny you should say that, because I do pray and knit (sometimes at the same time!). And no, I don't just pray that my knitting will turn out :)

I love your Branching Out Scarf so far and I really like your Essential Stripe too. I have to say, for a new knitter you really know how to pick great projects! Not only that, they look like you have been knitting for 20 years! (You must be a sewer...I have a theory that the best knitters started as sewers)(Sewer? Wait, that's something else, I mean seamstress.)

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger Lynda said...

Ah, thanks Laura. Yeah, I'm a sewer, but only if I have to be..., but you're right, it might give you some "basics" that help in other creative endeavors!

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger Ruth said...

i still feel a bit guilty about my own knitting polygamy too (finishing the blanket helped a little though). but its the holidays! and if you're knitting for people (and have deadlines), i figured that's ok. all the other WIPs would understand and give you grace. right? =)

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger chris said...

The snowflakes look wonderful! I can't wait till I can do that with my kids. Right now, the thought of Bossy wielding a scissors while strangling Stinky scares me into waiting a couple of years. At least till Stinky can hold her own scissors in retaliation. ;-) Oh no! Have you been seduced to the polygamist Dark Side?! You knit so fast, thought, it'll probably just mean that you'll get three projects done three times as fast!

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger amylovie said...

My girls and I have the same tradition. They love the messiness of the process. Paper snowflakes are the closest we will get to the real thing here in Houston. Bummer.

Amy

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Sonya said...

What a great tradition! Your kids will always remember it and will probably make snowflakes with their own kids. I'd send you some snow if I could. We're supposed to get 6" tomorrow night.

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Julsey said...

thanks for the link to Heather's blog - I *heart* that hat and now have to buy the fall 2003 interweave for the pattern!

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Noey D. said...

Paper snowflakes are the closest we get to snow too! Noey is an expert at making them. I, too, get very anxious when I have more than a couple projects on the needles. Right now I have a number of Christmas present in the works, and I'm hyperventilating!

 
At 7:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! We do the snowflakes here too!
Liz gets all crazy and loads them up with glitter, they're kinda pretty actually. Aren't they fun?

Elf is my all-time favorite xmas movie. Good belly laughs.

So your daughter digs the snow eh? At least that picture she saw was fresh, clean snow. It's all pee stained now, thanks to the dogs.

 
At 5:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see photos of the window when its done. What a great tradition!

 
At 5:55 AM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

It always amazes me that we folks here in Texas, and I guess you all in California immediately think of snow when Christmas comes around. Since it is as rare as hens' teeth, it must be mass marketing that has our brains set to frozen precipitation at this time of year. All the kindergarten kids are drawing snowmen as if they had ever seen one. It actually did snow at Amy's house last Christmas, for about 15 seconds.

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger LC in Sunny So Cal said...

Not to worry, I don't see you as being one of those women who dies with fifty-five projects in grocery sacks in the upstairs closet when you die! Knit!..enjoy!

and if you get bored, you can cut some virtual snowflakes here:

http://snowflakes.lookandfeel.com/

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Jillio said...

that is a great idea! however, it's kind of hard for me to accept a substitute; i have so many great memories of being in real snow...
i am no stranger to knitting polygamy. if there was a club, i'd definitely be a member. hehe. it's almost a challenge to your integrity. and i love a challenge (as much as i kick myself for that trait).
i love the things you knit, though. we knitters are all never short of encouragement, so you know we'll all support you in your polygamist ways! of course, it's only because we'll be egging you for pics of the finished objects and thus guilt you into finishing whatever you start. it's all love! hehe. you'd do the same for me :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home