Thursday, December 15, 2005

Music To My Ears?



I was tagged by my Darling Daughter Doozer. List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether they have words, or even if they're any good, but they must be songs you're really enjoying now.

I thought about this a bit, and realize I don't listen to enough music. Ok, it's true, I sit at home wearing headphones for hours on end, every day.... but it's not music. Granted, I get paid quite well to sit in my sweats or pajamas and listen to doctors yap (sorry, dictate) in my ears, but it's not music.

For starters, let's just say for most of these docs, English is not their first language. I am so good at deciphering English with a heavy Vietnamese or Indian accent it's scary. And, quite often this with the added challenge of the doctor eating their lunch while talking, or chewing gum, or the grossest sound, slurping on a sucker. I really hate that one. And don't get me going on proper sentence structure, people just don't talk that way.... I'm just supposed to make it look like they do, while typing "verbatim," - yeah, that works.

Then there are the hospital sounds in the background.... Code Blue blaring over the background speaker, their beeper going off (which is SO loud it makes your ears ring), and the one that always gets to me.... the tiny babies crying in the NICU. They sound so sad.... and they're VERY loud!

Of course, they don't only dictate in the hospital. A lot of them dictate in the car.... I hope they're not driving at the same time.... traffic noise, commuter train noise, the occasional road rage (am I supposed to type that, too? I can't type that word!). I guess it makes good use of their time. Even better is when they get home and dictate..... oh my.... I've heard them dictate at the dinner table, in the tub (you know, the tub makes quite a distinct sloshing sound), around the hum of an electric razor, and I've even heard them dictate while they're peeing (also a distinctive sound). Come on..... there's an actual person on the other end of this who has to listen to all of these goings on. Not to mention, this is probably a doctor's least favorite duty - so they are talking as fast as they can, to get it over with ASAP. Some of them remember that there is an actual person who has to listen what they are saying, some are very considerate, some even say thank you - unfortunately, they are the minority, but it does make my day when I run on to one of them - they are music to my ears!

My favorite was a female neurosurgeon I used to transcribe for daily. One day, I heard this strange whirring mechanical sound in the background. Hmm, that's an odd sound. Then, I started hearing it every day..... for weeks. What is that weird sound? Where is she dictating? Is she dictating in the operating room, while she's got someone's brain laid open??? Nope. She was sitting at the desk in her office like always.... the weird sound? - her breast pump.

Oh yeah, what was the point of all this - what MUSIC do I listen to? Well, it's most of it is in the car, so usually it's what the girls pick out. If I get to pick the station it's talk radio, and Rush Limbaugh doesn't sing too often!

Seven songs I'm totally into right now: hmmm
1. Feliz Navidad - Jose Feliciano
2. Oh Holy Night - this version by Marie Osmond
3. Breath of Heaven - Amy Grant
4. Holiday - Green Day (ok, they're about as left wing as I am right, so I hate the lyrics, but it's a catchy tune, and I respect their right to their opinions)
5. Ave Marie - this version by Il Divo.
6. Dance, Dance - Fallout Boy
7. She's a Rebel - Green Day (again, with my "disclaimer"!)

There ya go - I'm not tagging any one - join in as you please.

And, check out the progress? on my Branching Out scarf! This is a fun pattern. I'm hoping to finish it in time to give to a friend for Christmas, but I'm not putting any pressure on myself.... she also has a January birthday... it's all good.

Hey, and don't be perusing this blog for spelling and grammatical errors - they're there... but this is my "down time." I can spell and construct a proper sentence, I just don't choose to...

11 Comments:

At 2:45 PM, Blogger LC in Sunny So Cal said...

Oh man, am I glad to hear that it was a BREAST PUMP!!! I had some terrible thoughts about what it *might* have been!

Branching Out's looking good. But my birthday is not in January! (nice try?)

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Cheri said...

I love your Branching Out scarf. I've knit up two of that pattern, one from Elsbeth Lavold Silky Wool and one in Kidsilk Haze. It's a fun pattern.

My kids (and husband's) Ear, Nose and Throat doctor carries his little tape recorder everywhere with him. Before your office visit is over he's chatting into that thing, cracks me up!

And I tried to pop the head off the Madeline doll in hopes that I wouldn't have to do plackets on all her clothes, but she's not like Barbie (I had several heads for my Barbie doll, each with a different hair style). Oh well!

 
At 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Branching out is gorgeous!

 
At 6:16 PM, Blogger chris said...

That one about the neurosurgeon with the breast pump was too funny! Man, I've been there, so I can so relate. I give her credit for multitasking and using that time to dictate! I just kinda sat there feeling an awful lot like a cow at a dairy farm. ;-) Your Branching Out is looking wonderful! Awesome job on the lace. :-)

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger Ruth said...

hey, good job on the branching out!! that's hilarious about you transcribing MDs verbal notes. when my hubby was a newbie resident (which wasn't that long ago), he wasn't used to dictating. there was alot of long pauses, alot of "ummm...." and "uhhhhh". he used to think that the people on the other end who have to transcribe his stuff was laughing on the other end. =)

 
At 4:43 AM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

I have a good friend who is does medical transcription also. She has MANY funny stories to tell.
I love the scarf.

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Megan said...

What a beautiful Branching Out; that's one of my favorite patterns. Thanks for sharing the funny transcription stories, too!

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Noey D. said...

I love your transcribing stories! Very funny! Your Branching Out is beautiful.....I want one!!

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger Donna Boucher said...

Love the lacy scarf.

Yesterday I wrote friend when I meant to write fried. Good and true readers don't care about this.
I know you have good and true readers too :o)

misspell away!

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Thanks for the giggle. I read medical records quite a bit, and I have to say that I wish you would put in the parts like

Patient complains of coughing and wheezing this AM. *Hey JackA$$, watch where you're going!*

no significant past medical history. no known drug allergies *flush*

that would definitely be more interesting!

 
At 2:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel the same way you do about Green Day. Love 'em, but don't share their opinions. Everyone entitled and all that, though.

Branching Out looks great!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home