Friday, December 16, 2005

Ornaments for Miz Booshay

One of my favorite bloggers, Donna, of Quiet Life, asked people to show their favorite ornaments. If you are not already reading Donna's blog, please go check her out - I am blessed every day by her beautiful writings and gentle spirit.

So, Donna, these are for you:

First off, the most unusual ornament on our tree is also D#2's favorite, her braces. She wore these babies for five long years, and makes sure they go front-and-center on the tree every year now.

Okay, so not my favorite, except that seeing them as an ornament every year makes her so happy.

It's so hard to chose my favorites. We literally have hundreds of ornaments. The kids have each received one every year of their lives, and we collect them everywhere we travel.

This is one my hubby and I picked up in Berchtesgaden, Germany when we were traveling with his family, while I was six months pregnant with our firstborn. We were actually in Berchtesgaden on our anniversary, and we bought this ornament that day, and had the greatest dinner at a little outdoor cafe, with a real (probably touristy) "oompa band" playing in the background.

This next one is a favorite from my childhood. It's an old, sad-looking "cat" that I made at my grandma's house when I was probably about 7 or 8. My kids tease me every time I put in on the tree because it's so ugly, but I just remember sitting at grandma's fancy dining room table covered with Styrofoam balls, sequins, pins, and ribbon, making ornaments. This is one of two that have survived.

I also have a collection of ornaments from my Bible Study ladies. Every year we have a Christmas luncheon and exchange ornaments and Christmas memories. This is the ornament I received this year.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com I have been going to the same study for about 11 years now, and each of the ornaments is from a very special sister in Christ, and they are all precious to me.

No knitting content today.... but this was fun, for me anyway. Thanks Miz Booshay! Now go visit her blog (you'll be glad you did), and follow her lead - share some of your favorite ornaments with us!

8 Comments:

At 4:10 PM, Blogger Donna Boucher said...

Lynda,

You make me blush!

I have truly enjoyed getting to know you too!

Your kitty cat is so funny. I love that you still have it, that the kids laugh at it, and that it's your favorite :o)

I have noticed such pretty ornaments from Germany.
Your included!

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Sonya said...

I love the braces! I wonder if my mom still has my retainer laying around somewhere. I'd love to see the look on her face if I asked her to hang in on the tree!

Thanks for sharing your ornaments. They are so special when they have a story and memories attached to them.

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger Donna Boucher said...

Oh yes....
The braces on the tree are the oddest thing I have ever seen on a tree.

I have my wisdom teeth in a jewerly box....

hummmmm

 
At 12:29 AM, Blogger chris said...

Loved this post, Lynda! I know every ornament on our tree has special meaning to us, and I'm sure it's that way for every family, too. D#2's braces cracked me up! I wore those babies for quite a while, too...wish I had some great souvenir like that to show for all the torture! Your cat is so sweet, too. I bet the memory of being at your grandma's house comes back like it was yesterday every year you take it out. That's what I love so much about ornaments- all the wonderful memories. Thanks for recommending Donna's great blog- I'll be checking it out soon! Wonderful post. :-)

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Oh, I love that cat ornament! My dad has all those ornaments that my brother and I made when we were kids. Holidays scenes in spray painted L'Eggs containers, odd pipe cleaner structures, and so forth.

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger amylovie said...

I think the braces are hilarious! You are a sweet mom for humoring her.

Amy

 
At 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is fun to read about your ornaments and the precious memories that go with them.

 
At 1:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The braces ornament are looking fabulous!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home