Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Simple Pleasures


We have a rule at the "Little House" - no TV, no radio, my mom barely allows a clock...

We have cheated a little bit and let the kids take their iPods. It seems a little wrong, but they really don't use them that much up there.

Instead, we knit, we play cards, we sit by the fire pit, we go for walks, we read, the kids go play at the park and the playground. We teach each other to knit, and weave. Check out Kaity's new skills on my mom's portable Ashford loom. And, yes, Kaity now wants a loom, too!

We talk, we play board games, we ride minibikes. In the summer we float down the aqueduct or go to the high school pool. We play in the creek. My dad takes the kids crawdad hunting. We go on jeep trips - to check out the mines, or drive 15 minutes up the to the snow in the Sierras. We go to check out the fish hatchery.

It's amazing how many things we find to do. How much fun we have.

It's amazing how much time we spend NOT doing these things at home. It's kind of sad, really. But, when we're up there, it's not the "real world." It's where we go to escape the real world. I am so thankful we have this place. I am so thankful that my kids love it SO MUCH - and know how to have fun with each other, and the simple pleasures.

But, I can still knit at home. I just have more time to do it at the Little House.

Check out my cool Fake Fair Isle hat, modeled by Lily's boyfriend, doing his best "male model" pose. This took me about one day at the Little House last weekend. Who knows how long it would take me at home. Well, I guess we'll fine out, because two of these and a set of hand warmers make up the entirety of my Christmas knitting.

If I could live the "Little House" lifestyle all the time I could get a LOT of knitting done, but I would never want the "Little House" to become the "real world." That would be sad. We need it to stay special - someplace we can't wait to get back to, and don't get to often enough.

14 Comments:

At 9:40 PM, Blogger Knittypants said...

Sounds like a wonderful place for your family, thanks for sharing it with us.

And the hat looks great, such a nifty pattern.

 
At 10:18 PM, Blogger opportunityknits said...

The gorgeous hat looks genuinely fair isle - I think I'm asking one of those all time stupid questions - but why is it called fake? Sigh, I wanna have a little house of my own too, preferably with modern conveniences :)

 
At 11:52 PM, Blogger ~Kristie said...

You're so lucky that you have such a special place to take your family!

 
At 4:37 AM, Blogger Karen said...

What a great post!! I agree, having the "Little House" as a special place makes it ever more . . . . Special!! Being there every day sounds nice - but then it wouldn't be such a treat. Your hat looks wonderful!!

 
At 4:55 AM, Blogger Sonya said...

Sounds like a great weekend! It's wonderful to have a special place for the family. I love the fake Fair Isle too!

 
At 6:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! Little House stories!

Cute kid...cute hat!

 
At 6:56 AM, Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

It's really nice to have a place to get away to ... do some relaxing & recharging for the real world. I drive up to my daughter's place in New Hampshire to do the same thing, but I wish she had some place to get away too.

BTW, the hat is terrific & brings out the boyfriend's blue eyes.

 
At 7:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds and looks so relaxing! And the hat is very cool.

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger Lorette said...

We could all occasionally use a "Little House". We sort of do that when John's kids come to visit-no TV, very little computer time. We play lots of scrabble and listen to grandchildren scream with laughter. There will always be reruns to watch, but it's easy to forget that family might not always be around.
Love that hat! I'm on a hat knitting kick, so that pattern is on the list now!

 
At 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a lot of fun, and a wonderful place. When we go on vacation we have a no technology rule too. It's wonderful.

Oh and I love the hat. How is it a fake?

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

That is our place in Daytona. Not a place I want to live year round (although Hubster plans to retire there!), but a great place to visit 2-3 times a year.
I love the hat. My fav colorway of Kureyon. Where did you get the pattern?
And I think I forgot to say I love Starsky! No, really, he was my favorite from the show! And the sweater is gorgeous.

 
At 6:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so jealous of your little cabin and family atmosphere! It looks and sounds so great.

Those hats are fab! I've been diggin' them for a while now but I can't seem to lift the needles and yarn long enough to produce one. :)

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

Sounds wonderful! What a treat!

I want a "little house" too... maybe with a "little tent" or "little cage" outside for the little boys. Hmmm... that might even allow for some moments of true quiet.

 
At 6:52 AM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

I love the hat!

It's great that you have a place to get away from it all. Too bad we all didn't have that sort of escape...someday when I get some money (and a job) and am out of school...maybe I'll have something like that...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home