Friday, February 16, 2007

Knitting Conference Call?

I had a conference call this morning. I used to DREAD these, because they are sooooo boring. Without trying to sound too smug, all our conference calls are pretty much for the people who just can't seem to "get it", but we all have to attend. Work is the ONE place in my life where I pretty much seem to "get it," so I'm usually bored to tears, not to mention frustrated.


How ironic, as much as I LOVE to knit, half the time I can't seem to read a knitting pattern to save my life. If we had a knitting conference call, I'd seriously be the annoying one asking all the same stupid questions over and over. I guess I should be more understanding. But, no.... work, I "get." How is that fair. Well, I guess work supports my knitting habit, so it all evens out. I think.


Luckily, these calls only come up about once a year.


However..... that was my take on conference calls before I knew how to knit! Now - bring 'em on. I'll sit there and knit and listen to you explain the same thing over, and over, and over, for as long as it takes for every one to "get it" - as long as I can sit and knit and get paid for it. Sweet! Go ahead, ask the SAME question the guy before you JUST asked.... see - I AM paying attention.


Seriously people - pay attention here - it's not rocket science. Ok, it may be neurosurgery or something, but really, you're supposed to know this stuff. But go ahead and ask - It just means I get to go another row, and get paid for it. Not to mention, I can do it in my sweats and uncombed hair if I want, sans makeup.... from the comfort of my own home, snacks provided.


Did I say "luckily" these didn't come up too often before???? - now I wish we'd have a conference call every DAY. You don't know how excited I was this morning when I woke up and remembered we had one!


But, it's over. Back to "real" work - where I have to type, and haven't figured out how to do that and knit at the same time yet. Bummer.


So - this morning's conference call knitting: I cast on for Bonita. I actually have to pay attention to these calls enough that I didn't think should work on lace - so Ene's Shawl will have to wait for tonight. But casting on - I can do that, and about three rounds of stockinette!


Heh heh - I just got it.... these little knitting blogs of ours are kind of like a big ol' knitting conference call. Ewww... I think I owe you all an apology! I'll try to do better and pay more attention.

12 Comments:

At 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you! Wherever did you get that idea? :-)

It works great, doesn't it? I get most of my knitting done on the phone lately. It's just the right thing to keep my hands and part of my brain engaged in something else so that I don't totally wander off and not pay attention to the call at all. I can even talk and knit at the same time now, but not take notes.

 
At 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girlfriend, you just need to learn to type with your toes...that way you can knit and type at the same time!

I often have to be at committee meetings, and I'll be darned if I am unable to listen/talk and knit simultaneously. You've got me there.

I got a cute call from our Rabbi. We are all attending a conference in Costa Mesa next weekend, and she called to remind me to bring my handwork, so that we can all "multi-task" in the sessons. I'm afraid this is a warning that the sessions are b.o.r.i.n.g.

As if I needed a reminder. I don't go to the GROCERY store without a project..just in case!

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I have a few meetings where I can bring knitting and a few where I can't. I love to be able to though. I seem to listen better if I am working on something basic like miles of stockinette.

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

The only thing the could come close to knitting and typing that I could think of, was to get one of those voice activated thingys for the computer and just speak into the microphone and it "types" what you say on the screen...wonder how well that would work...so long as you don't start reading your pattern out loud and have that end up on the screen too...

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger Jillio said...

dude, is it just me? some of my bloglines feeds aren't there. :( like yours. and several other people's. did this happen to you? i had over 200, and now i'm slowly working my way back up from 149. ugh.
anyway, love your yarn. good thing you "get it" at work and can knit during conference calls. i can only wish i could knit at work, during safety meetings and such.

 
At 6:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good thing for all the patients that you do intently pay attention. Boy, how you follow all those medical terms that they rattle off in dictation is beyond me! Furthermore, how to spell them! Thank God for your skill! I bet you understand Latin as well?

 
At 6:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good thing for all the patients that you do intently pay attention. Boy, how you follow all those medical terms that they rattle off in dictation is beyond me! Furthermore, how to spell them! Thank God for your skill! I bet you understand Latin as well?

 
At 5:27 AM, Blogger AsKatKnits said...

Lynda - I thought I was the only one to knit on a conference call! LOL Hurray for you - knitting certainly does ease the boredom of them and gives them new meaning - an hour of uninterupted knitting time!! And - if my boss gets long winded (as he often does) it can be almost 2 hours of blissful knitting time! A great way to spend what normally would be wasted time!! Here's to the corporate conference call and here's to hoping none of our bosses read our blogs!!

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

Oh boy! I sure do know what you mean about conference calls. Well, maybe not calls but I've been to enough business meetings, board meetings etc. I won't even join sports boards or church committees anymore... I have no patience for explanations in triplicate or lengthy discussions regarding the merits of chicken vs pasta. Just tell me what to do and I'll do it but don't make me listen to you figure it out! Unless, of course, I'm in charge and can just tell everyone how it's gonna be done and move on... I do rather like that job. :)

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger mrspao said...

Lucky you don't have to videoconference - the camera does add pounds!

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Theresa said...

I love getting in some knitting when other stuff is going on - it's a two-fer! And great analogy!

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Katie said...

I love the bonita shirt--that would be a great summer top!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home