Monday, December 19, 2005

A Shawl Is Born


What a nice weekend. This was one of those great weekends where I got a lot accomplished, knitting and otherwise. The hubby was gone all day Saturday, so I got up early with him to get the coffee made and send him off. Then, I did some bookkeeping I've been neglecting and did my Christmas cookie and candy baking. Then, about 10:00 the kids woke up and the girls helped me with the housework. After that I was "chore free" and we made a fire (it was a great, COLD, crisp day), watched movies, knit, worked on a Christmas gift project, and finally got the snowflakes made for the window.

I told myself I could put Branching Out on the back burner and spend the whole weekend trying to get my Snowdrop Shawl started. I have never knit with lace weight yarn before, and it took a little getting used to, but I'm finding it very satisfying!

I made quite a bit of progress Saturday night in front of a fire and "The Sound of Music." Talk about a perfect setting for knitting! I had to frog the first few attempts, but it helped me get the pattern in my mind, doing it over and over again...., then I finally remembered to put in a lifeline. Of course, after that I never needed it! Still - it's in there, and I keep moving it up every 10 rows or so..... I don't trust myself!

So, after a full weekend the above is the beginning of my Snowdrop Shawl. I'm using KnitPicks Shadow, in the Lost Lake color. This may take me a lifetime, but, hey - I'm in no hurry. I plan to live a while longer yet.

Today, it's back to the real world, back to work, and back to Branching Out. I still hope to finish it in time to give it away to a dear friend for Christmas. But, no pressure. I've got a back-up gift if I don't finish it in time, and then I've got her birthday covered!

And, I must say, I knit a few rows on it last night while we had "forced family viewing" (aka, family movie night), watching one of our all-time favorites, "O Brother, Where Art Thou." (okay, you have to ignore the language in a few places, but it's gotta be one of the funniest movies ever - you know, the kind that gets better with every viewing) - and knitting on Branching Out seems like a cake walk now compared to knitting and struggling with the shawl all weekend!

Today I'm just looking forward to beginning this last week before Christmas, finishing up some shopping, spending time with the kids now that they're on break, more baking, more knitting, and today I'm bringing the hubby lunch. I think it's this cold snap we're having. There's nothing like a fire and bundling up in hand knit scarves to make me feel all happy and homey.

Watch, it'll heat up by the end of the week and we'll have an 80 degree Christmas, which is more the norm around here.... I hope it stays cold!!!

13 Comments:

At 10:00 AM, Blogger Kaity said...

You candy-butted car-thieving so's-and-so's! I curse your name!!! Wow I love that movie.... Everett, my beard itches... bwahahaha

 
At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely intricate snowflakes - I like the one with the hearts. I've not knit with laceweight yarn before either.

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Katie said...

I love "O Brother". My favorite line from that movie is where the fella says his wife "r-u-n-n-o-f-t." Or somethimg like that. And when George Clooney is in the burning barn and keeps saying "we're in a tight spot", which is sort of an understatement!

Your shawl is looking lovely!

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger Ruth said...

i love the shawl!! isn't lace so satisfying?? =)

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger Sonya said...

What a wonderful weekend and a beautiful shawl. We had planned to x-country ski this weekend, but we just holed up inside instead. Love the O Brother movie and soundtrack.

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger LC in Sunny So Cal said...

Ahhhh....yarny polygamy...you've SUCCUMBED!!!

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Donna Boucher said...

What a great start!
Very pretty!

 
At 8:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What! you have two things going at once? Girl you are a rebel!

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger chris said...

Sounds like you had a fantastic weekend! You must have gotten up REALLY early to have had the bookkeeping AND cookie baking done by 10 am!! That's impressive! Your Snowdrop Shawl looks soo beautiful. I tried to knit a shawl earlier this year, but it didn't quite work out. I'm resolved to make it work next year...I really love shawls (and am planning to live a while longer, too, so no rush. ;-)). BTW, I LOVE The Sound of Music!! I've watched it at least twice a year for the past 33 years. It was the movie my mom and dad saw on their first date, so it's sentimental for the whole family. We always fight over who gets to be Maria. :-)

 
At 3:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's exactly what I did on Saturday! Sent my husband off, decorated, cooked, knitted...it was wonderful to have the house to myself! Other than the "Sound of Music," which happens to be one of my favorites.......

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Theresa said...

I saw the Sound of Music Sat eve, too, while I was working on my shawl (Ene's scarf from Scarf Style) - it's currently blocking, so I'll put photos up later today. The hardest part about laceweight yarn is getting started, and you've done that, so you're good to go.

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Your shawl looks like it'll be beautiful! I've been meaning to make Yarn Harlot's shawl too. maybe I'll have to join you on a mini-KAL.

80 degree Christmas... So LA!

Thanks for the encouragement on finishing all my projects on time. I hope you, Kaity and the rest of your family have a wonderful holiday!

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Chris said...

When I first saw that shawl picture, I thought you were knitting a Barbie shawl or something! I think it will be worth however long it ends up taking.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home