Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Were Those Weeds?


My son (the Bud): Hey mom... I was pulling weeds for Dad like you asked me to, but out by the roses and bougainvillea there were some that I'm not sure were weeds after I pulled them... they looked like onions on the bottom.
Me: My daffodils!!!

Luckily, he stopped after only pulling a few. The hubby has done the same thing to me in the past. Now, I can't complain AT ALL, because I HATE to garden. Hence, our yard consists of grass, roses, and a little bit of ground cover - all of which the hubby takes care of. I love the looks of a garden, but after a few futile attempts, I just had to realize I don't like to garden. Bulbs I can do. Stick 'em in once... they come back every year and surprise you... if no one yanks them out and calls them weeds.

The point - God gives us the promise of Spring and the daffodil greens are up and in a few weeks or so I should have more green grass and flower pictures for you folks suffering through the cold and snow. Just sending a little California sunshine your way.

And for some more beautiful color - here's the most productive knitting hour or so I've ever spent. Check out the progress on our Hill Country socks! Kaity is using the Strawberry Swirl, doing her first toe-up socks, making footies. I'm making a "traditional" top down sock with a regular heel flap, using the BlueBonnet. And look - no pooling - just beautiful stripes! We're having a race - but you can be sure we'll both be done with our first socks tonight!

I'm loving this yarn. It knits up quick (duh) and is making a really nice, thick sock. This is gonna be a great clog sock. They also make a lighter sock weight yarn, also hand-dyed, called Sweet Feet - which I think I'll try next. I love the colors.

It may be cold out, but the California sun is shining and I'm feeling all "springy!" The wind has stopped and it really is beautiful out. We'll need these few beautiful days to look back on when it starts to rain!

"Consider how the lilies grow...I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these." Luke 12:27

12 Comments:

At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OHNO NOT THE LIVESTOCK...er, DAFFODILS!! ;o)

I finished another pair of socks, btw :o) Yours/Kaity's are looking great!

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Chris said...

That sock yarn is just gorgeous! (covet covet covet)

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Daffodils . . . it will be months before I see daffodils - thank you so much for sharing the beginning sprouts for yours. Make me feel like spring is not so far away. Here's hoping the rest survive any coming "weed attacks"!!! Those socks look so great and I'm glad the yarn is as good as it looks. The fight to resist the temptation is getting harder and harder!!!

 
At 10:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, I had the hubby do the same thing in the garden. There must be somekind of womanly instinct that we have to stop them before they get any further, as that is what I did....thank goodness I only lost half my crop of herbs:o)

Sheesh...really quick knit, beautiful!

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger chris said...

Oh, your poor daffodils!! Unfortunately, I've been on the same end as your son...I yanked out my mom's lilies! In my defense, they weren't flowering at the time, so how was I supposed to know that patch of weird grass was an intentional plant? ;-) LOVE the socks! The colorways are incredible and you and Kaity are sure whipping through them! Just wanted to thank you both for tempting my Visa card yet again with that link...;-) Take care, Lynda! :-)

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger Knittypants said...

Daffydills!! I love spring...we had a few hours of beautiful sunshine here today before the rain came back. Your socks are looking great.

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I love the sock yarn. Beautiful!

Good thinking of you kid to stop pulling. He probably had that nagging feeling of "uh-oh." Poor kid.

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

The daffodils are out??? Man, we're getting a storm tonight (already starting) and the daffodils won't be up for another 3-4 months I think...sheesh, so not fair!

Both yours and Kaity's socks are looking great. I love both of the colours.

My third pair that I've started on are the striping kind too, and though I've only got about 2 inches on the cuff, I think it's looking great so far. The colours in this one are blues, greens and yellow.

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger Noey D. said...

Did you see the sky yesterday? It was the most beautiful blue! Love the socks....they're striping so nicely.

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger Sonya said...

Oh my gosh; you have DAFFODILS?! You lucky woman, you. It actually hasn't been too cold here lately, but February is never kind.

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

Pretty yarn. It's working up nicely on both socks. Great job guys!

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger amylovie said...

Your socks look wonderful. Not that I'm partial to any yarn that references Texas.

Amy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home