Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Wasted Days and Wasted Nights

That was last night and today.... wasted.

Not being the hypochondriac type, I always thought it was interesting that while working for neurologists and neurosurgeons I would end up with migraines and carpal tunnel.

If I had worked for an endocrinologist would I have diabetes and thyroid problems?

Nah - I know none of it's related, but it's interesting. And, believe me, if I was gonna come down with a neurological ailment - I could have ended up with something much worse!

Anyway.... last night I woke up around 3:00 AM with a doozie of a migraine. I'm blaming in on the Snowdrop Shawl. I picked it back up again last night, like I said I would, and it was two hours of torture. Knit - rip. Knit - tink. Knit - curse. and on, and on, and on. See all that chicken scratch on my pattern. That is no less than nine attempts to get this far.... and, again.... it's not right. Argh....


Finally I just ripped the whole thing out, went to bed, and decided my knitting a laceweight shawl was just not meant to be. I just don't have it in me. I need to put the laceweight back in the closet and stick with smaller lace pieces for awhile, like scarves, with DK weight yarn, no laceweight, and practice. I went to bed rather sad... resigned.... defeated. I had really wanted to be able to knit a shawl.

So, then the dumb migraine. I blunder through what seemed like an eternity of a day until about 3:00 this afternoon when the sledge hammer in my head finally quieted down to just a small hammer banging away behind my eyes..., then finally just the medicated, head-numbing aftermath.

It was then I decided that, darn it, I really could make a shawl, I just needed another pattern. Now, I have bookmarked about 10 Flowerbasket shawls made by numerous knitters. That one always catches my eye. So, I get out my pattern, and grab my yarn, and look! Compared to the two-hour migraine-making knit fit that was last night.... in half an hour this afternoon.... even with my fogged-up brain, I knit this!


It's the beginning of my Flowerbasket Shawl (Interweave Knits, Fall 2004). And this one I can do! I haven't had to tink back a thing yet! (note, the lifeline though.... I'm not taking any chances).

So, I'm just gonna take it easy, have fun with it, and put it down if I feel uneasy. But so far, so good. It's fun, it's a pattern that makes sense to me, it's just repetitive enough.... I think I'm gonna make it after all.

14 Comments:

At 7:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

FBS was my first successful lace without tinking. I counted the stitches every row. I'm glad it's working out for you too. Now I've got that song stuck in my head :)

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Noey D. said...

Sorry about your migraine! (I get them too) Your Flower Basket is looking good. I've had that on my to do list for a while.....

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger Knittypants said...

The flower basket shawl is so pretty. I'm really going to enjoy watching your progress on it. I'm sorry about the migraine, I hate those things!

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger chris said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your migraine- there's not too much worse than a terrible headache. Hope you're feeling better and on the mend soon. And having spent the last 2 days tinking close to 1000 stitches on that %$#*&^ shawl I'm working on, I feel your pain with every bone in my body. ;-) I'm about ready to wave the white flag. You, on the other hand, are doing so awesome with your FBS!! It looks gorgeous! FBS is definitely on my list of to-knits for this year, too. Hope you're feeling better...take care, Lynda! :-)

 
At 11:45 PM, Blogger Ruth said...

oooh, migraine. =( take care of yourself. your lace is looking LOVELY. sometimes i put away a project to clear my head, and when i feel ready, i attack it with a vengeance. =)

 
At 11:57 PM, Blogger ~k said...

Oh dear...laceweight. I can't do it. I'm less brave than you. I've only tried it once and it scared me so much ...and made me so angry...thus my "laceweight is for crazy people" post a week or so ago...

BTW, good for you!

 
At 5:41 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Congrats on the lace progress!!

I'm a fellow migraine sufferer, so I can totally sympathize. Bless my beloved Imitrex injections.

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

That's it, you can do it! Glad the migraine monster has been beaten back. I get them too, and it's miserable, I know.

 
At 7:40 AM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Sorry about the first shawl. It must have been disheartening to do all that work for nothing.

I'm so happy that this new shawl is working out for you. Some day I'll have to have a go at lace...but it scares me lol.

 
At 8:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can chalk it up to a learning experience. I'm glad that the lace is working out . I actually having knit lace, yet. I'd have to find a recipient first.

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Jen said...

YAY for a shawl that speaks to you!!! I have FBS on my to knit list as well, so I'll be watching how yours turns out.

Sorry about the migraine. I hope that even if working with neurologists was causal of your migraines, maybe at least you could also get the side benefit of some effective migraine drugs...

Sorry it's been so long. Nice to catch up with you again.

 
At 9:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A pattern can make all the difference int he world. But if your annoyed set it down and work on something else, that's my motto too.

Love the yarn color, perfect for a Flower Basket Shawl.

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Jillio said...

awww, lynda, hope you feel better!
keep on keepin' on with that flower basket shawl! that's a lot of progress; you'll have it done in no time.
and please be generous with the blocking photos (hah, i'm one to talk with a blog that's experiencing an indefinite photo draught)! but seriously, that part is the *MAGIC*!!!
i've become a blocking evangelist, and all i've ever blocked to date is my sweater!
with you and chris working on shawls, i have to be very careful not to get distracted from my lace leaf pullover and KAL socks. GAH! i confess i will be watching for your progress with KEEN interest. KEEN, like, not even peachy keen but super-interested-man-why-can't-i-knit-faster-and-be-done-with-stuff-so-i-can-knit-a-shawl-too-like-these-cool-people kinda keen interest. yeah.
i should stay away from those grande with whipped mochas...i'm a little too hyped up...but i went to bed at midnight and woke up at 4:30 so i needed the insurance. ;P

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger Lynda said...

Jill - you CRACK ME UP!!! I hope I keep your "keen" interest in this shawl.... because it's gonna be a LONG ride!! We may both be old and gray (well, me just grayer) when it's finished!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home