Tuesday, January 17, 2006

I'll Buy That Tinking Machine!

How did Wendy know I was posting about STOOOOPID tinking today. She's talking about how someone needs to invent a tinking machine... among other wonderful things that would make our knitting lives easier.

The tinking machine - I'd be all over that if it could tink lace..... Errrrr. Nothing will put the brakes on my lace knitting faster than finding a mistake and having to tink back.

I can hardly knit lace forward, as much as I love knitting lace for some insane reason, but tinking it backwards takes every brain cell I can scrounge. Like I've got a lot of those to spare. Not to mention, it would help if I had magnifying eyes.... even with the granny glasses - argh!

So, see the piece to the left... where up at the top I lost my mind for a second and didn't finish that middle medallion before going ahead with the next two on the sides? Well, it sat there for about a week-and-a-half, waiting for me to get the guts to tink back four rows of lace. Four stinkin' rows. That's it. We're not talking half a scarf or anything, just four stupid rows. And this is SIMPLE lace! But for days, I just couldn't muster the brain cells. After that, all I had was about 10 minutes more of knitting and I was done. DONE, finished, fini...., but did that make me pick it up and tink away.... nah.

The lesson learned.... NEVER get so cocky as to assume I can forego the lifeline. ALWAYS keep moving up that lifeline. The minute I don't, that's when I forget to do a yarn-over, or my personal nemesis, pass that darned slipped stitch over.... I sing it in my head, "slip one, knit two, pass the slipped stitch over." That PSSO - it gets me every time.

But, I'm nothing, if not stubborn -

So, last night I unknit, then reknit, and finished the Sister Scarf for my MIL. I had to. Her birthday is next week and I have to mail it to Texas.

Another lesson learned.... the pattern is probably written that way for a reason. The body of the scarf between the little motifs was supposed to be done in garter stitch. Me, I think it'd be prettier in stockinette, so that's what I do. So, of course, what do I find out too late (anything that would cause me to start over is what I consider too late!) - duh, stockinette curls!

yeah, I know, we all know that... even I know that....

So, I blocked it like crazy, and it doesn't curl too bad while you're wearing it. I considered doing an edging, maybe crochet around the whole thing, but I don't think it would have helped. So, it is what it is.

I do like it. I think I'll do another one with just the horseshoe lace pattern from the bottom edges of the scarf. And follow the directions. And remember my lifeline.

So, with another lace project under my belt, and cocky knitter that I am, I'm picking up the Snowdrop Shawl again. It's still the size of a Barbie shawl. I need to work on it a little. So I have visions of grandeur.... what are you trying to say? I'll finish it - some day. I'm in no hurry. This is laceweight though... not to fuzzy, but WAY too small for my eyes to see to tink back... so I'd better not wait too long, the eyes aren't getting any younger. I'm just making sure I move up that lifeline before I even knit a stitch.

This old dog can still learn trick or two, it just takes longer!

13 Comments:

At 11:06 PM, Blogger Ruth said...

oh man, i'm way too cocky for lifelines too, and i end up paying for it big time. tinking back lace really sucks. but i do it. even if it's several rows back or so. but it's worth making it right - the lace work always looks so gratifying in the end! =) you can do it! =)

 
At 11:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The scarf turned out very pretty, I like the stockinette version better too.
I knitted a scarf using only the horsewhoe lace and followed the pattern which used only one garter edge stitch. Well, it didn't really prevent rolling completely, it still rolled a little.

 
At 12:22 AM, Blogger chris said...

Your scarf is beautiful, Lynda! The color is so pretty and the lace pattern is gorgeous! Your MIL is one lucky lady and I know she's going to love it. And I SO hear you about the number of brain cells required to tink back...especially SK2togPSSO. Aargh! I absolutely hate tinking that one back! For me, it's always the stupid YO at the end of the pattern repeat that I manage to forget. Can't wait to see your Snowdrop Shawl- we're shawl sisters! ;-) Take care! :-)

 
At 5:12 AM, Blogger amylovie said...

Ouch! I see that you muddled through the tinking brilliantly. She is going to love it.

Amy

 
At 5:50 AM, Blogger Chris said...

The scarf turned out great! I can't even picture it in garter - seems like all the medallions would be lost.

 
At 6:06 AM, Blogger Theresa said...

The way is curls is elegant. Very elegant. A design feature, really.

 
At 6:09 AM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

What a pretty scarf! I'm not sure what 'tinking' is though. Is it simply ripping out back to where you need to fix the mistake?

 
At 6:38 AM, Blogger LC in Sunny So Cal said...

Hey! Watch it on the "Ldyao ogday" stuff Old indeed!

Did your sis get over the disappointment of this being for your MIL instead of your sister?

 
At 6:44 AM, Blogger Lynda said...

Shelley - tinking is when you're unknitting stitch by stitch, rather than just unravelling by pulling the thread. At least that's what I call tinking!

 
At 9:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh ST St is evil for curling. Every scarf I've ever knit in St St curls like a demon, no matter how many edge stitches I put in garter or seed. So I for now at least am sticking with garter stitch scarves.

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Sonya said...

What a pretty scarf! I just hate tinking or any backward motion of any kind. But I haven't done much lace. I'd really hate tinking lace.

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Knittypants said...

The scarf turned out very pretty, you would never know it gave you so much grief. Your mil will love it.

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Lynda...wow! I've been tinking all along and didn't know it! I generally do that instead of ripping out for most of my stuff lol...mind you if I catch it soon enough.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home