Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Turn, Turn, Turn

"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1

To everything, turn, turn, turn...

When my kids were about 6, 7, and 9 I took over our church's Childrens Choir. I had a great resource for music which included a version of the music tracks for the Byrds song, "Turn, turn, turn." I had about 25 kids in the choir, ages 5 to about 15, and actually ended up being able to teach them all parts and harmonies - and they all got up makeshift bleachers one morning and performed as part of the service. Swaying and singing, turn, turn turn.

It is truly one of my favorite memories.

It was great, it was uplifting, it was challenging, it was "real," and I think touched the hearts of everyone who was present that day. When I hear that song now, I still think of those kids, and how hard they worked.

So, here's the segue.... wait for it..... Turn, turn, turn..... I LOVE turning heels. It's my favorite part of knitting a sock. Heel flapping, not so much... for as simple as that is, I ALWAYS mess it up, somehow.... but I love the magic of turning the heel. Love it, love it.

I turned the heel on my second Jaywalker last night, now I'm on the home stretch with pair #6.

Also - I just wanted to say THANKS to all who have joined Count Your Socks so far! We have 33 people counting their socks, with a grand starting total of at least 215 pairs of socks!!! Check out the "Visit Fellow Sock Counters" and you can see who has joined so far - go visit their blogs and check 'em out!

Count Your Socks will run indefinitely - so It's Never Too Late to Join! Just drop me a line.

Turn, turn turn....
"a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot,
a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build,
a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance,
a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain, a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace." Ecclesiastes 3:2-8 (NIV)

12 Comments:

At 10:18 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Love the artistic shot! :)

 
At 10:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lynda,
How are your wrists feeling. I just thought of something...are you still knitting continental style? I can't knit that way because it hurts my wrists. Maybe you should try going back to being a "thrower".
I'm teaching a sock class this spring, so maybe I should join your KAL. I have to knit a sock before it begins so I have something to show the class! All my other socks have been given away as presents.
Thanks for your comment on my blog!

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger Ruth said...

hi lynda! you know, when i was in high school youth group, we were studying Ecclesiastes. i remember exclaiming aloud - hey, this is from that song!!! and then i was reprimanded that the song came afterwards, the passage was the original. ;)
p.s. how are the arms? praying for ya!

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger chris said...

Through the beginning of your post, I was wondering how Ecclesiastes would link with knitting....and then I reached the segue and went, "Ahh!" ;-) Turning the heel is definitely my favorite part, too. It really is like magic and never ceases to amaze me. I just read in your archives about your arm and I'm so sorry to hear about the carpal tunnel and all the pain you're in. I feel so bad...I hope that it'll somehow resolve itself and that you'll be up to par again soon. Thanks for sharing about the Children's Choir- it must be such a wonderful memory for you and all the kids! Take care! :-)

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

You're going to make me cry - that passage always makes me think of funerals. Great segue, though - very clever.

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger Lynda said...

Theresa, no, no... it always makes me hopeful!

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Did you mention what yarn you are using for those Jaywalkers? Because it is GORGEOUS. :)

 
At 5:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't want this to get lost in your comments!

Thanks for the comment to my blog....you are the first ever, that doesn't include my SP from SP7!

HMMMMM all the movies you mentioned are all faves in my house.

Lynda, I would talk to the surgeon about the newer surgery. I had mine on December 1st, and was able to knit a bit this past Sunday the 10th without pain. My scar is almost invisible.
I am pretty sure that there is a new technique where they don't go into the wrist. I still have a bit of pain, but I had surgery on a Thursday and was back at work on Monday....and pretty much fully functional by the next Monday when they took out the stitches.

Here is a link to the surgery they did on me.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/carpal-tunnel-syndrome/DS00326/DSECTION=7

I got two years of relief from the cortisone shots....I will probably start them in the left wrist because the pain in the left was completely masked by the pain in the right. As soon as I had the surgery I started notice the pain in the left. Go figure! I am hoping to get a couple of years out of the shots on the left hand.

Oh, and I AGREE! I must knit, which is why I had the surgery.

Good luck. I too am hoping that some weight loss helps the carpal.

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger Dusa said...

I have a "hand" too! And use for rings!

I wanna do the Sock group, but I'm going to have to wait until this weekend to dig out from under all my other stuff.

Have you tried the little wrist wraps? They helped me alot when I overstress.

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I like turning the heel too! I love that passage too.

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

I love the way you give us a little vignette (did I spell that right?) of your life and then relate that to knitting. Hope your wrists are better.

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Sonya said...

I love turning the heel too. It's just magical. Love the song too. It always makes me think of Footloose though. I think Kevin Bacon must have referred to Ecclesiastes in his "let us dance" speech. Funny how things become permanently linked in one's brain.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home