Friday, December 30, 2005

Oooh - I Got Told


Well, the other day Kaity and I trip it on down to our not-so-local yarn store to spend our gift certificates. I didn't really have anything in mind.... but I thought I'd like some new #2 DPNs for sock knitting. Those are my favorite size, but mine are a little long and I wanted to try shorter ones. This is what else I found!

Cool new sock yarn, Trekking XXL. This is new to our LYS, and it had some pretty funky colors (I bought color #100). And a Chibi - everyone needs a Chibi.

We're driving home, and Kaity reads me this line out of her new Ann Budd's Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns - "There's a sense of intimate luxury that comes with wearing a pair of handknitted socks - whether or not anyone else can see them." I said "exactly, and I think my goal is to get to the point where I only wear hand knit socks."

So, Kaity asks if I'm wearing handknit socks right then - heck yes I am... my Holiday Sox Exchange socks from Julia! Kaity looks at my feet, "Mom.... ugh... hand knit socks and those ugly clogs - what are you, some kind of hippie!" I said, "hey, Wendy has these clogs!" (Wendy is very cool) to which Kaity shoots back - "Mom, you are NO Wendy."

Ooooh, burn, I got told...

Oh well, I'm still wearing my clogs whenever I want, and my goal is still to get to the point where I only wear handknit socks. I'm gave up on every being "cool" long ago - I've got teenagers who keep me in my place...

15 Comments:

At 10:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crocs are very "in" right now and I think the perfect foil for your handknit socks. Birkie's would be another good choice. Besides, what do teenagers know - haha! You may not be a "Wendy" but you make a great "Lynda" and I'm sure there are those out there that would copy YOU!!
Happy New Year!

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger amylovie said...

Pffft!! She just doesn't know a cool mom when she sees one.

Amy

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Ruth said...

i think you're as cool as moms can get (without crossing boundaries). :) as for clogs, i've got some, and i love 'em! mine give me height (high heels) =)

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Donna Boucher said...

Sassy kid. I've got s few of those too!
I just love that Trekking yarn. I have seen it here and there....
I see some of it in my future :o)

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Very nice socks -- both the ones you were gifted and your Jaywalkers. That colorway of Sock Landscape is so pretty. Makes me want to place an order at Knit Picks! :)

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

I definitely only wear handknit socks (except for running) - it's the best way to be. Looks like you're getting there, so keep it up!

Tell them that you're cool enough not to worry what other people think, right?

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Hi! Found my way here from a link on Amylovies blog and thought I would stop by.

I am a knitter as well and thought I would like to check into some knitting blogs. Feel free to check out my blog and say hello. I have also just set up a new one for knitting and other crafts. It is also in my profile, called Kitten Yarns and Crafts.

I love the colour of yarn that you have in this post. I've not attempted to make socks yet, but I want to. I have some yarn for it, just need to by the right size needles for it. Hopefully I'll get some made and can post a pic of them.

I'll bookmark your blog and be back!

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I don't have kids to give me grief about my clogs - my friends do that for me. :)

 
At 2:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got these bamboo dpns for socks that I love too. A friend helped me buy them, so they're extra special. Love to see how your trekking socks knit up. I don't think kids ever see their moms as "cool" :)

 
At 7:04 AM, Blogger SAM said...

Happy New Year to you Lynda...I think you are way cool - takes one to know one! I am loving sock knitting more and more. I think I am addicted and I share your goal. I had wondered what kind of shoe I could wear to show off my socks, now I know! I love the unpredictable, so who knows what kind of shoes might be adorned with handknit socks?

 
At 12:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovin' your "vesper" socks with your rubber garding clogs...very hip:o)

 
At 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

...I meant spell "gardening"

 
At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shoot! I didn't again, oh well, these blog things really need a spell check option!

 
At 9:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have two pairs of Crocs and I hate to tell you Kaity, but my VERY COOL 15 year old daughter wears them all the time -- and she is the pickiest of all dressers darlin'. Crocs rock and so does your mom!

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Elspeth said...

I was just going to say what "anonymous" said -- that everyone has those shoes now and they are perfect for showing off gorgeous socks! (Especially in CA where we don't have to cover our feet entirely!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home